Momento R330

jotto

Momento R330

Postby jotto » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:00 am

I have just started doing triathlons and have been using my old mountain bike. I was thinking of getting a second hand road bike to increase my times. I am not going to ever be a serious triathlete, I am doing this for fitness and fun. I have found a Momentum R330 on Gumtree for $189, in excellent condition. My budget is $200, do you reckon this is a good buy for my budget? I have actually never ridden a road bike, so am a complete and utter novice. I am a female, and this is the right size apparently for my height.
Thanks

P!N20

Re: Momento R330

Postby P!N20 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:27 am

You're pretty much at the bottom end of road bikes. I'm not sure if the Momentum is a 'good buy' at $189, but you're probably not going to find much else under $200.

The problem is the parts are most likely low spec, so you may end up spending a lot more getting things repaired and/or replaced. If you could up your budget to $300-$500 I reckon you'll have a lot more options and even get something with a decent parts list.

Whatever you decide, make sure you have a test ride before you hand over your cash - I don't imagine the cycling leg of a triathlon would be much fun on a bike that is too big or small.