Buying Norco Search XR C online

lewie15

Buying Norco Search XR C online

Postby lewie15 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:52 pm

Just wanted some advice from people regarding my current predicament. I'm keen to buy a Norco Search (linked below) but they don't have a frame that will fit me according to the sizing guide. I'm 184 cm and going to the sizing chart linked below I would need an XL frame (58 cm frame), but they can only get a large frame for me (55.5 cm). Will I be able to get the bike to fit me with a longer stem and higher seat post height? The bike sale includes a bike fit, so I guess I will see then. The salesman wants a 20% deposit, before ordering the bike in and has said that I can have the amount refunded in store credit or cash if i'm not happy with the fit. I have this in writing (email), so I guess I have nothing to lose!

http://www.99bikes.com.au/bike18-norco- ... -ult-slate
https://www.norco.com/sizing/

owly

Re: Buying Norco Search XR C online

Postby owly » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:54 pm

Are you already riding a road bike? If so, what is the stack and reach of that?
MUFC :twisted:

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:11 pm

I've been looking at the Norco Search XR recently, and thought it a very impressive machine. But the geometry leaves me feeling a little uncertain as well.

I'm 183cm and currently riding Salsa Fargo size L, which has a stack and reach of 671.1mm and 384.8mm. This is quite an upright position but one which I found very comfortable during a month of bikepacking the back roads in NZ..

I wouldn't feel confident that either the 55.5 at 580mm and 390mm or the 58 at 600mm and 399mm would work for me without actually them. And both are a long way from the Fargo geometry that I find so comfortable.

I've turned my attention to the Merida Silex 6000. 99Bikes are expected stock next month and the Silex in size L has a stack and reach of 654mm and 415mm, while size M is closer to the Norco 58cm.

Both these bikes have unusual geometry so I'd be wanting to try before I buy.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

lewie15

Postby lewie15 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:15 pm

owly wrote:Are you already riding a road bike? If so, what is the stack and reach of that?
Currently riding a Giant Propel, which is 57.5 cm frame reach and stack is 58.1. I do feel a little stretched out, but it's a race bike and it helps me to get into a more aero position, while still being comfortable. I've also ridden a Giant Defy which had a 54.5 cm head tube. I did feel like the Defy was a little on the small side for me. The Norco will be in between the Propel and Defy.

lewie15

Postby lewie15 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:20 pm

RonK wrote:I've been looking at the Norco Search XR recently, and thought it a very impressive machine. But the geometry leaves me feeling a little uncertain as well.
I'm glad i'm not the only one! If I could get my hands on an XL frame I would purchase in a heart beat. Unfortunately there are no XL frames in the country. The Merida looks like a nice bike, but I think I would prefer a 2x drivetrain. I'm liking the look of the Scott Addict Gravel. I was thinking about a steel bike, but i'm not sure if I could handle the weight.
https://www.bikebug.com/scott-addict-gr ... 78611.html

owly

Postby owly » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Seems to me you need the reach of the L (390: 12mm down from your stretched out Propel) and the 600mm stack of the XL (Your Propel and the XR C are 1mm diff in stack). So unless you don`t mind the look of a bike with a stack of spacers under the stem, I`d give it a miss.

Regarding your comment about the steel weight, a lighter-weight steel gravel frame will be around 2kg e.g. Zona / 725.

Bombtrack didn`t work out?

lewie15

Postby lewie15 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:01 pm

owly wrote:Seems to me you need the reach of the L (390: 12mm down from your stretched out Propel) and the 600mm stack of the XL (Your Propel and the XR C are 1mm diff in stack). So unless you don`t mind the look of a bike with a stack of spacers under the stem, I`d give it a miss.

Regarding your comment about the steel weight, a lighter-weight steel gravel frame will be around 2kg e.g. Zona / 725.

Bombtrack didn`t work out?
Thanks. I wanted the Norco to work, but it sounds like it's not meant to be. There just doesn't seem to be many Bombtracks in stock and the dealer couldn't really tell me what models would be on the next shipment. I will have a look at the Norco XR Steel, but I would really prefer a 2x drivetrain.

I like the Kona Rove NRB below, but I would need to buy unseen and get it shipped from Melbourne. I don't really know. I've changed my mind so many times!

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road- ... /103214226

owly

Postby owly » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:15 pm

That 56 Kona is more like it. 392/610.

10mm shorter than your Propel, with a good `adventure` stack height; tall enough which still allows you to drop it a little with spacer/stem angle, as you dial it in.