Canyon cf 7.0 or Giant Defy Advanced 2

Bob78

Canyon cf 7.0 or Giant Defy Advanced 2

Postby Bob78 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:10 pm

I'm doing a road bike upgrade. Im a casual rider so looking for a endurance model, full carbon and comfort. I can get either bike for roughly the same price so that is not going to an issue and disc brakes arent a deal breaker either way. Whats the best option?

Mububban

Re: Canyon cf 7.0 or Giant Defy Advanced 2

Postby Mububban » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:34 pm

Bob78 wrote:I'm doing a road bike upgrade. Im a casual rider so looking for a endurance model, full carbon and comfort. I can get either bike for roughly the same price so that is not going to an issue and disc brakes arent a deal breaker either way. Whats the best option?
Either of those bikes will most likely be brilliant. I recently tested a couple of bikes in the same price range but different brands - one put a huge smile on my face, and the other absolutely did not light my fire in any way. Technically, it's a brilliant bike. But that "smile factor" difference between bikes really surprised me.
Point being, you can test ride the Giant, but you can't test ride the Canyon.

The Giant has a 50/34 compact crank, whereas the Canyon has a 52/36. How strong/fit are you, and how hilly is your terrain?
Mind you, changing chain rings after it arrives wouldn't be that expensive if you opt for a compact on the Canyon?

Giant have a lifetime frame replacement warranty for the original buyer (in this case, you). If you have a problem with the Canyon you'll need to ship it back to Germany I think.

But with the disc brakes, I'm going to guess the Defy would be ~8.5kg compared to the Canyon's 7.6kg for rim brakes. Do you care about the slight weight penalty to get better braking?

I have the Conduct hydraulic brakes on my bike, and it will rob you of some handlebar space for lights and computers etc.

And bright green vs mostly black is very different :D Canyon make great bikes, but personally, I'd go the Giant (I like fluoro colours) :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 pm

Giant 2018 has the factory tubeless, which was a big factor above other brands for me.
Seems to have saved me from two flats already, though I'm not sure where the holes were just that I had pale brown stains indicating leakage.

Not a factor if you intend to upgrade wheels though.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:24 pm

Both great bikes but given my recent experience of going to discs I'd say if the option is there discs are always going to be better in terms of performance.

I currently have a 2013 Defy Composite and I love it

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:38 pm

Having a bike shop to help out if needed is a big advantage.