recommend carbon mTB frame?

cooperplace

recommend carbon mTB frame?

Postby cooperplace » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:36 pm

based on advice from here, my MTB build will have full suspension. Can anyone recommend a carbon frame? Bear in mind that I'm ancient and will only do wimpy trails. Thanks
Please be nice to me, I'm not very bright.

cooperplace

Re: recommend carbon mTB frame?

Postby cooperplace » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:17 pm

hi moderators, sorry, I somehow posted this twice, please delete one of the posts, thanks

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:42 pm

parameters? if you're only doing "wimpy" trails, do you need FS...do you need carbon? You can go aluminum and save $$$$ or you could go a soft tail and save weight/speed... or a Ti hardtail...
If it were me and riding easy trails, I'd go a nice ti or carbon HT (or a Ti/carbon HT), but that's me.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:41 pm

well i don't know; when I floated the Q here all everyone said was "gotta have FS". Hardtail is a lot cheaper: in Ti about half the price of FS. One attraction of carbon is that it's cheaper than Ti.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:24 pm

yeah I remember the thread, I think everyone assumed easy trails as easy compared to double black diamond and or/ you'd be riding real trails within the week after getting a bike anyway.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for spending as much as possible to get whatever floats yer boat for any circumstance, but that doesn't necessarily get other people what they want/make them happy.
I'd say pick a budget, pick some bikes that tickle your fancy, see if you can get some test rides, ride them where you want to ride, maybe even try some other more tech trails and see what you like/think. (OK maybe thats obvious)
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:38 pm

Depends on the definition of "wimpy" trails..... Some nutbag riders would think that anything less than a black-rated trail is wimpy, while others would be quite satisfied with the technicality of blue (intermediate)-rated trails - which can vary a lot! FS can still be of considerable benefit on mildly lumpy trails, especially if, as I believe I recall from the previous thread, back comfort is a consideration.

Some thoughts to consider: Hardtails (HT) have minimal forgiveness over bumps of any magnitude. The suspension fork will iron out the bigger stuff, but even a well-set up good one will lack the compliance to soak up the little trail chatter. A carbon frame will at least take the edge off that chatter, and soften the bigger bumps. Aluminium will have you feeling every small bump. FS will smooth oiut the ride more and take the bigger bumps, but like the fork on a HT, will lack the tiny bump compliance to soak up the trail chatter (you need some stiffness to ensure you don't blow through the travel too soon on medium to big bumps). A carbon frame will still help to smooth out that trail chatter that will wear you down on a longer ride.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Neddysmith

Postby Neddysmith » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:07 am

I guess the other things to consider too is comfort, just because the trails are "easy" they maybe in poor condition, example, I used to ride Lysterfield on a HT many years ago but since the place has become so popular the trails seem to have really deteriorated and while the trails themselves havent changed much and can still be riden on a HT they are much more fun and comfortable on my FS considering all the ruts, potholes and tree roots etc.

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:41 am

does anyone have any experience with the sub-$1000 carbon frames on Ebay? eg Tideace
thanks