How to know what power meter will fit on my crankset

Propo90

How to know what power meter will fit on my crankset

Postby Propo90 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:08 pm

I have a CAAD8 Sora 7 with a FSA Vero 50/34 crankset and was wanting to what power meter if any would fit on my bike. Thanks

mikgit

Re: How to know what power meter will fit on my crankset

Postby mikgit » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:04 pm

any pedal power meter would I'd think. And he powerpod thingo... but the crank attachment ones, don't they have to be attached by the factory, so you send them away (or buy a new crank/arm with it attached)...?
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Propo90

Postby Propo90 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:23 pm

I was thinking more a lift arm crank meter, like a staged power meter. Heard and read good things about them. Pretty sure I could just attach it, I just don’t know if they’d fit on my crankset that’s all.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:28 pm

Propo90 wrote:I have a CAAD8 Sora 7 with a FSA Vero 50/34 crankset and was wanting to what power meter if any would fit on my bike. Thanks
It depends on whether you want to keep your current cranks or not. As above, you could fit pedals based power, a powerpod, or you could use a PowerTap Hub rear wheel, or you could replace the cranks with either a spider, spindle or crank arm based power meter.

A lot of it will just come down to price.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:13 pm

Propo90 wrote:I have a CAAD8 Sora 7 with a FSA Vero 50/34 crankset and was wanting to what power meter if any would fit on my bike. Thanks
There are no crank arm based power meters that will work with an FSA Vero crank, as none are made for square taper cranks. Basically any power meter will fit on your bike though - for a crank arm based one, it would just mean that the whole crank is required to be upgraded. An FSA Powerbox would be a good option if you're replacing the whole crank, especially as it's total power and not just a single side.

Propo90

Postby Propo90 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:12 pm

queequeg wrote:
It depends on whether you want to keep your current cranks or not. As above, you could fit pedals based power, a powerpod, or you could use a PowerTap Hub rear wheel, or you could replace the cranks with either a spider, spindle or crank arm based power meter.

I would like to keep my current crank set, it’ll be the cheapest option! So maybe just changing the cranks is the way to go for me

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:20 pm

Propo90 wrote:
queequeg wrote:

I would like to keep my current crank set, it’ll be the cheapest option! So maybe just changing the cranks is the way to go for me
It may not be your cheapest option to keep your existing cranks. As noted above, an FSA powerbox (which is effectively a power2max NGeco) comes with the meter, new cranks and chainrings, and it will set you back just under $800 delivered. Other than the powerpod, the other options will come up pretty close to that cost, unless you go second hand.
For example, I am selling my SRM power meter with cranks at the moment for $650 (not compact cranks though), and there are plenty of other meters up on Bicycle Market on Facebook. Most common is Stages, but again, not for your existing cranks.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:43 am

Just a quick note re the FSA Powerbox (I have one bought recently).

I am guessing that the CAAD8 is a BSA threaded bottom bracket, and if you are looking at changing the cranks, you'll need a new BB (Mine cost $40 or so off ebay) and either a shop to fit it or the tool (Another $23 off ebay) , so keep in mind those costs.

Depending if you want to keep the bike long term or not, the pedal option may be the easiest and simplest

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:33 pm

12% off at pushys, that powerbox would come in about 750.

although seems to be fairly regular specials.