Is Monterey Urban Cruiser good?

pipit

Is Monterey Urban Cruiser good?

Postby pipit » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:05 am

Hi, I am new in Australia (6months) and previously I used a bike which was stolen a week ago :(
I really like my previous bike (I forget the brand I get it from my housemate), it was a road bike and lightweight and fast, now that I want to get something like that again but I am quite tight on budget.
I look at this Kmart bike http://www.kmart.com.au/product/montera ... ike/911863 and wonder is that enough for me? I am commuting 8-9km daily, but the road is hilly so.
If you have experience with this bike please share :)

10speedsemiracer

Re: Is Monterey Urban Cruiser good?

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:44 pm

No

Better to find something from reputable maker secondhand on Gumtree or eBay. Lots of seldom-used hybrid or urban type bikes go cheap
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:24 pm

I think it’s funny it has an instruction manual and ‘bike sizing guide’ but only comes in one size.

As above though, never buy a bike from big W, Kmart or other depr stores. They are cheap because they are not very good. Put your money into a second hand quality brand bike. You’ll spend the same amount servicing (time or $) either of them to get running, and the quality one will stay in good running condition while the Kmart bike will quickly go back out tune.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:11 pm

I agree with the above posts... but seeing this bike up for $70 2nd hand, it almost looks like a "real" bike.
... at least, it's geometry isn't obviously crazy-bad like most warehouse bikes.

But it's heavy weight (stated) of 17kg was a suprise.