Suggest me a good all-round road tyre

Mububban

Suggest me a good all-round road tyre

Postby Mububban » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:25 pm

The stock rear tyre (25mm) on my road bike needs replacing, and there seems to be lots of love for the Continental GP4000s II. I'm sure they're a cracking tyre and I've got no problem buying some, but what else do you recommend?
LBS guy recommended the Vittoria Corsa Graphene for about the same price as the GP4000, which he described as wearing out quite quickly.

I don't want a lightweight paper thin race tyre, nor a heavy duty Gatorskin-style. I commute, do weekend group rides, and some solo hill rides, so something that's a good all-rounder.....like the GP4000 I suppose :mrgreen:
Edit - I also do a lot of early morning riding so the reflective sidewall strip on the Reflex model of GP4000 is appealling...
Last edited by Mububban on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

10speedsemiracer

Re: Suggest me a good all-round road tyre

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:33 pm

+1 for the Vittorias.
I like the Zaffiro Pro but am tempted by the Corsa Graphene for next fitment.
Until Friday I was scooting around on 28mm Vittorias, never felt skittish or less than confident. Not as wooden as Gators, but not as sexy/grippy as Schwalbe One. I think the Conti GPs I've had experience with have been superseded by the new design, so have no basis for comparison.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:39 pm

Oh I also tried out some 28mm Maxxis Re-Fuse recently, but on a different frame. Didn't feel as planted as the Vittorias on fast descents or under braking. Absolute bitch to fit compared to the Vittorias.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:36 am

I have used GP4000 i and ii for a few years, and really like how the feel and roll. However, I have never worn one out, they all get biffed because of deep side-wall cuts. So when my current set expire, I am going to try a new tire, and I'm thinking of:

Schwalbe Durano
Schwable One
Michelin Power
Vittoria Rubino
Vittoria Corsa

A friend recommends the Power, but I'm probably leaning towards the Durano or Rubino for the additional puncture protection and lower cost.
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:46 am

Panaracer Pasela. </thread>

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:51 am

I have been using Vittoria Rubino Pro for years. They are are great all-rounder with a good balance of durability, grip, wear, and price.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:48 am

A mate of mine complains about sidewall cuts on GP4000s too but he doesn't use them. I have heard this a number of times but have never experienced it.

I have been running them myself for about 5 years and have never had an issue. Current set has about 4,800km. I have recently noticed a few cuts, one through to the substrate, so probably time to replace them.

Don't see any reason to use anything different. Have not had a puncture this year. Watch, I'll get one tomorrow now...
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

uart

Postby uart » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:36 pm

RonK wrote:I have been using Vittoria Rubino Pro for years. They are are great all-rounder with a good balance of durability, grip, wear, and price.
And reasonably low rolling resistance too. :)

I've been using these for years too Ron. About half the price (sometimes even less) than the GP400s.

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:56 pm

GP4000s are about $45 each.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:36 pm

silentC wrote:A mate of mine complains about sidewall cuts on GP4000s too but he doesn't use them. I have heard this a number of times but have never experienced it.
Me neither. I've always worn them out, never had to throw one out due to cuts of any kind. Up to 8-9 years now on GP4000, GP4000s and now SII. 23, 25, 28mm.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:15 pm

If you like the GP4000 II, and want a bit more protection without going as far as the Gatorskin or 4Season, I've been using the Continental GrandPrix (normal or GT versions) in 25C for a while.

Current 25C set of GT's have done 2,500km with no issue and there is still well over 1mm depth left. When on sale, they are often around the $35 - $39 mark. Black Chilli compound as well.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:16 pm

I've gone through a set of Rubino Pro (1 Speed and 1 Control), they get cuts pretty easily compared to the GP4000s. But I did feel they were a bit stickier overall.
Overall though, I think I prefer the GP4000s.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:12 pm

Not a big fan of Duranos, have had a few punctures and my next tyres are Michelin Power Endurance and GP4000s, will see how they go. 99% of my cycling is commuting and my fave are Marathon Supreme but they no longer come in 28 wide, 32 in now the minimum.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:22 pm

Mububban wrote:The stock rear tyre (25mm) on my road bike needs replacing, and there seems to be lots of love for the Continental GP4000s II. I'm sure they're a cracking tyre and I've got no problem buying some, but what else do you recommend?
LBS guy recommended the Vittoria Corsa Graphene for about the same price as the GP4000, which he described as wearing out quite quickly.

I don't want a lightweight paper thin race tyre, nor a heavy duty Gatorskin-style. I commute, do weekend group rides, and some solo hill rides, so something that's a good all-rounder.....like the GP4000 I suppose :mrgreen:
Edit - I also do a lot of early morning riding so the reflective sidewall strip on the Reflex model of GP4000 is appealling...
On a chance, I decided to try the S-Works Turbo 26C tyre - I found that excellent. The cornering grip felt a lot better than the GP4000S II that was on the bike before it, seems to roll nicely as well. I run this tyre at about 90psi, I'm about 60kg. I also use liners inside the tyres as an extra measure against punctures because we get a lot of smashed glass around here. It seems okay, fairly happy. You pays your money and makes your choice however.

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:27 pm

I've tried Conti GP4000, Michelin Power Comp (latest gen) and Vittoria Corsa Speed open tubs.

All three I liked. The Corsa Speed were noticeably faster rolling - but they do wear out very fast.

The Conti roll fast but I find them too stiff in the sidewall for my light weight and low tire pressures. The Michelins I find are more supple but feel just as fast by the seat of the pants as the Conti's.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:25 pm

I think you need to get a better grip on tire weight, which is the most important criteria in determining application, imho.

Vittoria Corsa Graphene 240g
GP4000s 225g
Gatorskin 220g

With few exceptions, anything lighter than 200g is not a reliably robust tire on public roads. These are best for racing on closed clean tracks.

200-230g is the sweet spot for all purpose use, including open roads. This applies to 23 and 25mm 700c tires.

230-300 is your range for heavier duty all purpose through to the most durable like the Maxxis Re-fuse and Specialized Armadillo.

uart

Postby uart » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:20 pm

uart wrote:
RonK wrote:I have been using Vittoria Rubino Pro for years. They are are great all-rounder with a good balance of durability, grip, wear, and price.
And reasonably low rolling resistance too. :)

I've been using these for years too Ron. About half the price (sometimes even less) than the GP400s.
silentC wrote:GP4000s are about $45 each.
If that was in reply to my "half the price" comment, then yes I know. I bought 4 Rubin Pro 3's (700x25c) last year for $19 each. Current price online is about $22. The old pro 3 is a very low cost tyre (that performs surprisingly well IMHO).

uart

Postby uart » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:31 pm

CKinnard wrote:I think you need to get a better grip on tire weight, which is the most important criteria in determining application, imho.

Vittoria Corsa Graphene 240g
GP4000s 225g
Gatorskin 220g.
Rubino Pro 3: 235g

As for the effect of an extra 20g it has about the same effect as 20g anywhere else on the bike (like 20mL more water in your bottle). For riders other than track racers and sprinters the additional effect of a rotating mass has been shown to be negligible. It's hard to see how that can be the *most* important thing for riders like the OP doing fast commuting and weekend group rides.

For me the important things are the right balance of puncture resistance, durability, and rolling resistance (particularly at reduced pressures). BTW. The reason I like reduced pressure rolling resistance data is that it gives a better indication of the achievable real world rolling resistance, as opposed to the smooth metal drums that they usually test them on.

See for example: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... o-iii-2014

BTW. The other tyre there is the Conti ultrasport 2 folding. This is another an incredibly low cost tyre (can be had in 23c, 25c or 28c at about $17) :shock: Performance is only slightly inferior to the Rubino Pro 3, but the down side is reduced puncture resistance. Still, if anyone is ever looking for the absolute lowest cost tyre that still rolls well, I've used them and they aren't too bad at all (a whole lot better than what you would expect from the price).

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:13 am

uart wrote:
As for the effect of an extra 20g it has about the same effect as 20g anywhere else on the bike (like 20mL more water in your bottle). For riders other than track racers and sprinters the additional effect of a rotating mass has been shown to be negligible. It's hard to see how that can be the *most* important thing for riders like the OP doing fast commuting and weekend group rides.
It's not primarily about 'rotating' mass, but tire mass, which correlates highly with puncture resistance and durability, more so than any other factor ime and others.

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:53 pm

uart wrote:
If that was in reply to my "half the price" comment, then yes I know. I bought 4 Rubin Pro 3's (700x25c) last year for $19 each. Current price online is about $22. The old pro 3 is a very low cost tyre (that performs surprisingly well IMHO).
More a statement of fact than anything, although the actual price is more like $47.99. The RRP is about twice that, which is why I mentioned it. You can get them cheaper in pairs.

I'm not familiar with the Rubino range but is that a superseded model? I can't find them on Wiggle and all the 'Pro' tyres are $35 or more. I see Merlin in the UK has them on sale for $18.55.
- Me

uart

Postby uart » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:09 pm

silentC wrote:I'm not familiar with the Rubino range but is that a superseded model? I can't find them on Wiggle and all the 'Pro' tyres are $35 or more. I see Merlin in the UK has them on sale for $18.55.
Yes I think the "rubino pro 3" was superseded by the "rubino pro G+", but according to the tests I've seen the older pro 3 out performs the G+ by every measure. https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... o-iii-2014

Yeah, I've been getting them from Merlin for about $20, absolute bargain of the century in my opinion.

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:46 pm

Don't you hate it when you're happy with a product and they go and ruin it by replacing it with something worse!

That is a good price for a road tyre though. I might have to grab some myself before they're all gone.
- Me

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:59 pm

25s out of stock :(
- Me

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:06 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I had a good long look at the Rubino range, I do like the colour options on the sidewalls. If they'd had orange to match my bike's highlights, I probably would have bought some :)

However I think I'll go for the GP4000 SII tyres with the "Reflex" reflective sidewalls, as the tyre is a good performer in puncture and rolling resistance tests (I love that rolling resistance website), but I do a lot of early morning riding in the darkness, so reflectivity is a bonus.

http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... prod120952

Now I'm just tossing up between 25mm and 28mm before I click the Order button. I can't say I've had any comfort issues on 25s so far so I'll probably stick with them.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!