Which Bike to Buy

AWP001

Which Bike to Buy

Postby AWP001 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:33 pm

I am in the market for a new bike and am interested in some advice.

I am a Triathlete and have mostly ridden TT bikes and recently converted my old TT bike to a road setup however it is too small for me in this format so its time to buy a road specific bike as I am doing more group rides of 80-150km's that mix between flat out 80km weekday sprints and 120-150km weekend rides with long 1500-2000 meter climbs. Most rides include lots of hills (up to 25%) and road surfaces are average - plently of small potholes and rough patches.

I think I want the following ideal criteria:
1. Disc brakes and wider tyres (28-30mm) for the hills, wet breaking and comfort over the long rides
2. Aero frame for the sprint days and downhills
3. Slightly compliant ride for the rough surfaces
4. I love Di2 on my TT bike but there are limited parts and mechanics where I live so mechanical would be more sensible
4. Good looking machine that I would want to hold for several years

I am currently thinking the best options which I could get for around $4k:
1. Trek Madone 9.0 - love the idea of ISP, H2 fit and the look but lacks disc brakes
2. Pinarello Gan S - good look and price and reputation but lacks disc brakes
3. Scott Foil 20 Disc - not sure if its available yet or whether it may be too stiff or aggressive
4. Bianchi Aria - dont know much about it but good reviews and in price range

Anyone have experience on these or suggestions that I should consider. Ideally I will be buying when I come to Brisbane later this month but could order online if I felt confident with sizing.

10speedsemiracer

Re: Which Bike to Buy

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:58 pm

Specialized Roubaix Comp ?

Carbon - Ultegra - Disc - 28mm rubber on Rovals, really good reviews.
The whole sexiness thing is subjective, but I think this is extremely sexy, especially in the red wine colour, a bit different.

Just my $0.02 is all..
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:59 pm

Canyon Ultimate?

Cosh

Postby Cosh » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:48 am

Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc or Defy Advanced Pro 1. I'm test riding both on the weekend.

Both have Ultegra R8000, discs and carbon rims. Should be able to get either for $3,500.

AWP001

Postby AWP001 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:44 pm

Thanks. Let me know what you think after the test ride.

Cosh

Postby Cosh » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:36 pm

AWP001 wrote:Thanks. Let me know what you think after the test ride.
I ended up getting the TCR Advanced Pro 1 with rim brakes.

The defy was ok, quite comfy and the brakes were great. Locked them up a number of times testing them out. The geometry was a bit more laid back than my current bike (Scultura 200) and the gearing was very short (50-34 crank with an 11-34 cassette)

The TCR was much lighter and stiffer, the geometry was very similar to my current bike. I only noticed the race geo when I was down in the drops. It wasn't really uncomfortable and just felt fast! The 52-36 crank and 11-30 cassette is perfect, I might chuck on an 11-32 if I'm going to be climbing any decent hills. The braking with the R8000 calipers and carbon wheels was faultless, very similar to 105 5800 with Aluminium rims.

The shop didn't have any TCR Advanced Pro 1 disc bikes in the shop, but the difference between the disc and rim brakes was not enough to convince me to upgrade any further.