Racktop bags

zebee

Racktop bags

Postby zebee » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:29 pm

I have a racktop bag, the kind that has panniers that fold up into pockets on the side.

All well and good, but there are times I want to use an actual pannier. As my rack is not double rail, this is tricky given the racktop bag has to be loosened to put the pannier on and loosened again to take it off.

So... anyone know of a racktop bag, with or without integrated panniers - that can easily be used with standard panniers? So is narrow, or else fastens on in a way that makes loosening and tightening not a matter of velcro as that annoys the hell out of me?

Changing the rack is not an option as it's on a trike and there are no aftermarket ones that fit that I know of.

Biffidus

Re: Racktop bags

Postby Biffidus » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:47 pm

Topeak racks have a mounting system that uses a central rail for the racktop bags/baskets/etc. A Topeak rack (they have ones with additional side rails) is relatively cheap.

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:29 pm

Biffidus wrote:Topeak racks have a mounting system that uses a central rail for the racktop bags/baskets/etc. A Topeak rack (they have ones with additional side rails) is relatively cheap.

I have seen that, but as I said changing racks is not an option. A 20" wheel trike is not Topeak's market.

Now if you know of a way to fit the rails to a non Topeal rack I'm all ears.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:48 pm

zebee wrote:Now if you know of a way to fit the rails to a non Topeal rack I'm all ears.

TIG welding?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Warin

Postby Warin » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:11 am

Thoglette wrote:
zebee wrote:Now if you know of a way to fit the rails to a non Topeal rack I'm all ears.

TIG welding?

At least some of the topteal racks have
a top central panel
the lower mounts bolt to the legs

Use those to make bolt on fittings between your rack and the topeal rack.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:01 am

Do have a long, hard, inventive look at the Topeak cattledog.

If you can't cut-and-shut a rack to fit the rails to your rack (with bolts or better) they've a pile of "beam" racks which mount on to your seat post.

Image (thebikebarn.com.au)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:16 am

You'd probably need to cannibalize a second hand rack. The centre rails pictured in the previous post appear to attach with bolts which would make them easier to remove and attach to your existing rack.

I couldn't find the rail listed as a separate spare part unfortunately.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:12 am

The dodgy way... head to Ulrich aluminium, get a couple of metres of 8 or 10mm aluminium rod, go to Bunnings and buy some stainless steel zip ties and use these to zip tie the rod as a rail. If you use long thin zip ties in a cross binding I reckon they'd be strong enough, especially with small bits of rubber between the rails and the stays.

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:08 am

I looked at the topeak video and the problem isn't the rails its the clip. It uses the front raised part of the rack to clip to, mine doesn't have that.

Topeak make a rack for 24" wheels but I don't think I can fit that to the trike. I suppose I could somehow bolt or tie a cut down seatpost rack to my rack, I wonder if that can be done without making it impossible to mount the standard pannier which was the point of the whole exercise.

I suspect if I am going to go that way then I might as well get a bit of flat ally or masonite or similar, attach it to the current rack, and attach my racktop bag to that via slots for the velcro straps. If I make the board narrow enough and high enough (use spacers) to clear the rack rails then the racktop bag can stay attached to that and the pannier can use the racktop rails.

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:53 pm

Do you have a picture of your rack?

zebee

Postby zebee » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:15 pm

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:10 pm

Fair enough. Probably easier to add new rack deck (perhaps salvaged from another rack) to the top of that rack as you suggested.