Saddle suggestions

jpgibson

Saddle suggestions

Postby jpgibson » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:52 am

OK, I realise this is a bit like asking ‘ what engine oil’, ‘what bike should I buy’?
I have an issue with my proximal hamstring tendon ( which is slowly improving), given where the tendon issue is ( where it inserts into the ischial tuberosities/ sit bones) I need a saddle that minimises the pressure on them.
Im lucky that my backside has, until now, been happy with any saddle. My current bike ( Kona Roadhouse) has a Kona branded saddle , which was , until recently, OK.
Any specific suggestions?
Id even consider Brooks!( flamesuit on)
Thanks- hopefully this will keep me on a bike.

Duck!
Expert

Re: Saddle suggestions

Postby Duck! » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:49 am

Find a few local shops that offer test programs on their saddle ranges and try as many models as you can. Only you can know what the right saddle for you is.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:52 am

jpgibson wrote:Id even consider Brooks!( flamesuit on)
No need for a flame suit. Brooks is great. Try it if you think it will help with your tendon issue.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:55 am

jpgibson wrote:OK, I realise this is a bit like asking ‘ what engine oil’, ‘what bike should I buy’?
I have an issue with my proximal hamstring tendon ( which is slowly improving), given where the tendon issue is ( where it inserts into the ischial tuberosities/ sit bones) I need a saddle that minimises the pressure on them.
Im lucky that my backside has, until now, been happy with any saddle. My current bike ( Kona Roadhouse) has a Kona branded saddle , which was , until recently, OK.
Any specific suggestions?
Id even consider Brooks!( flamesuit on)
Thanks- hopefully this will keep me on a bike.
It's almost like asking what size shirt should you wear :-)

You really need to find someone who has a range of saddles for you to try without having to commit to buying a particular one. Otherwise you are just trying random saddles until you find something that works for you, which can get rather expensive.
Some shops will do a "saddle fit" where you sit on a box and measure your sit bones (think Specialized and their Body Geometry system), so if you want to try the Specialized Saddle Range, just find a shop that does the fit and lets you try some of them.
Likewise, you could find someone who does the Selle SMP saddle range and lets you ride them for a while without wasting money on something that doesn't work.

I just had a Bike Fit done, and the place I did it at has the Selle SMP Saddle range. We just went through 7 or 8 different saddles while doing the fit until we found one that felt like it worked, now I have that on my bike for a few weeks to see how it goes.
Based on your issues, if you haven't had a Bike Fit, you may benefit from one to sort out your issues, as this might be more than just the saddle affecting you.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

jpgibson

Postby jpgibson » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:51 pm

What size shirt SHOULD I wear?!
Ive had a bikefit done, it was a waste of time and money. I'm pretty experienced in knowing what does and doesnt fit me. I was hoping someone may have had a similar problem and said 'Oh, saddle X fixed the issue as there was more area to perch on' or something similar. The Specialized thing Ive done. As I mentioned I have a rhino skin rear end so I can stand most saddles, was hoping someone might have a specific one in mind.
Thanks all, again!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:03 pm

jpgibson wrote:What size shirt SHOULD I wear?!
Ive had a bikefit done, it was a waste of time and money. I'm pretty experienced in knowing what does and doesnt fit me. I was hoping someone may have had a similar problem and said 'Oh, saddle X fixed the issue as there was more area to perch on' or something similar. The Specialized thing Ive done. As I mentioned I have a rhino skin rear end so I can stand most saddles, was hoping someone might have a specific one in mind.
Thanks all, again!
I guess the point was, only you can know what fits you by actually sitting on them, the same way that I can suggest you buy a particular shirt and size, but only you will know if it works for you.
I can suggest what worked for me that gave more area to perch on, which was to get a wider saddle with a decent cutout. I found the standard narrow road saddles meant half my rear end was hanging off the sides of the saddle and giving me saddle sores, and I tired a few before I settled on a particular model. However, I have been off the bike for a year with injury, and and a result my riding position is not as flexible and this has changed my riding position, which has changed how I sit on the saddle, which has changed the comfort factor.
As to the Bike Fit being a waste of time and money, that has not been my experience, but it really does depend entirely on the person who does the fit, and what sort of fit it is. Sorry to hear that yours did not help you.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:04 pm

A general recommendation might be to pick a saddle that curves fairly abruptly from the nose to the back when looked at from above. The idea being not to put pressure on your proximal hamstrings when your leg is in extension. Something like the Selle Italia turbomatic gel flow:

Or the Prologo Nago Evo Space:

An example of the opposite shape is the Selle San Marco Concor Supercorsa:

Or the Fizik Volta R3:

Just a suggestion; I know nothing about proximal hamstring injuries

jpgibson

Postby jpgibson » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:31 pm

Thanks!

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:07 am

redsonic wrote:An example of the opposite shape is the Selle San Marco Concor Supercorsa
If this saddle isn't comfortable, quit bikes.

Rodgerbiltit
Location: The best place in Australia and the world for bicycle touring!

Postby Rodgerbiltit » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:28 pm

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:37 pm

+1 for Selle Italia.

Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go