Which type/style of bike - Kids seat.

ad5

Which type/style of bike - Kids seat.

Postby ad5 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:40 pm

I have an existing road bike. However I am looking for another bike with a little more versatility. I have the need to:

Mount a rear child seat
Take in a few bumps and ride on some light trails occasionally, but mainly road/pavement riding.

Can you recommend any types of bikes or particular models that woudl be good for this type of use? Budget <$1000.

Thanks,

Mububban

Re: Which type/style of bike - Kids seat.

Postby Mububban » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:43 pm

I think a City style bike, or a Hybrid but without the suspension fork would do it. Rigid forks are fine for a bit of bumpiness, or you could get suspension but it'll add weight and be of questionable benefit.

Some models to investigate (many different price points but some under $1000):
Giant Cross City
Trek FX
Apollo Exceed
Avanti Giro

They'll have mounting points for a rear rack, which the child seat slides/clips onto. And/or mudguards if you wish. Plus 32mm tyres and plenty of gears.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:00 am

Mububban wrote:I think a City style bike, or a Hybrid but without the suspension fork would do it. Rigid forks are fine for a bit of bumpiness, or you could get suspension but it'll add weight and be of questionable benefit.

Some models to investigate (many different price points but some under $1000):
Giant Cross City
Trek FX
Apollo Exceed
Avanti Giro

They'll have mounting points for a rear rack, which the child seat slides/clips onto. And/or mudguards if you wish. Plus 32mm tyres and plenty of gears.
+1 for the above.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:56 am

Also agree, flat bar city bike though sometimes you will see bikes called a touring bike, urban bike or hybrid.

For the child seats I have had (two different for two bikes), one was solely mounted on the seat tube and was removable so was very convenient.

The other was mounted at 3 points, the seat tube plus hooked into the axle of the rear wheel left and right. It was also a removable system though took more time as there were wing nuts. In other words, neither used the bosses for a bike rack - but a rack is convenient and most bikes in this style would have these.

Key thing for a kids seat is that their feet are 'fastened' and this is usually with rubber straps. Also, the foot position needs to be adjustable to suit a growing child.
Cycling is in my BNA

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:26 am

You could probably pick up a cheap 2nd hand mountain bike suitable for the kiddie seat. The extra big tyres will allow for a little more give for the little one. Sure, it’ll be heavier and slower than a hybrid, but who is racing when they’ve got a kid on the back?

Our kiddie seat was made as removable from a more permanently fixed rack. So the rack stayed on and the seat was easily removed.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:20 am

The Electra range of bikes all have rear racks and 35mm tyres, may be worth a look. Retail for under $1000. Great quality bikes.

sir_camel

Postby sir_camel » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:21 am

I've just pulled the trigger on a semi decent second hand 27.5 hardtail MTB and a weeride seat for our 1 year old. 'Great N +1 scenario too.

Cant wait to test it out this weekend. Will report back.
Bikes Bikes Bikes