Chinese manufactured carbon handlebars ?

MichaelB

Chinese manufactured carbon handlebars ?

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:25 am

Now I know that some on here have successfully bought and used frames from Chinese suppliers ** without issue.

I myself have some MTB 29er rims from Farsports that have served me well over the years without issue (and used them on the road with 25 & 28C tyres), so have taken the dabble.

What I am interested in getting some feedback on, is handlebars. I'm specifically looking at something like the aero Easton EC70/90 versions which are normally $250 - $350 or Zipp SL70 Aero for the genuine items, but $60 for the chinese manufactured ones.

Who has had experience, Good and bad, with this type of carbon gear ?

Happy for feedback and recommended (or not) suppliers.

If all you do is cast aspersions and catastrophise without experience that is relevant, I'd rather not hear about it.

** = I define 'Chinese suppliers' as those that are non-mainstream factories where carbon parts are made (frames, rims, bars, seats, stems etc) like Yishun, Farsports, Light Bicycle etc just to name a few
Last edited by MichaelB on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duck!
Expert

Re: Chinese manufacred carbon handlebars ?

Postby Duck! » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:17 pm

I recently put a Carbonal handlebar on my MTB. I've only ridden it twice so far, so long term remains to be seen. It is noticeably springier than the FSA bar it replaced, but a lot of that will be due to being 80mm longer.

Although the bar hasn't been tested long term, I have a pair of rims that I've been riding for nearly three years, and a friend has a MTB frame and pair of road rims from the same manufacturer, and all have been flawless.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:29 pm

Duck! wrote:I recently put a Carbonal handlebar on my MTB. ....

What were they like to deal with ?

Thanks for the feedback

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:48 pm

oz cycle on youtube bought and demoed one (an integrated stem/bar unit). It was a total banana. And he is a big fan of cheap Chinese wheels...

Can't really be more useful on your topic though. I do like my carbon Colnago bars that I got for $15 :D Light, stiff, and probably came out of an Asian factory somewhere...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:28 pm

The thing about cheap carbon fiber is the layup - you don't necessarily know what grade carbon fiber is used - how it is being layed up and if it is fit.

This can mean there is over compensation, too many layers and too much resin. But also the layup and placement and direction of the carbon fiber can be more random - so it bends more where it shouldn't and is stiffer where it should be.

But you don't always know - may of the main 'chinese direct' wheels have been doing fairly well with their wheels so the warping and teething problems with quality are now less common. The pragmatic approach is to look through the cycling forums across the globe and search for that brand and see if you can get info. You could even attempt to ask the supplier about their layup and material selection.

In other words - with a brand name, as a rider you are assuming their quality is up to paar.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:16 pm

Can't be any worse than Easton's own EC90 handlebars.

I bought a set of 700mm EC90 flat bars for my Scalpel from Wiggle, and followed the instructions, torquing up the handlebar clamp on the stem to what was printed on the bar end of the stem, roughly 5Nm,

They were dreadfully flexy - far, far from confidence inspiring. I was so alarmed I elected to walk a number of obstacles I normally just blast through. Whipped them off after 1 lap of Manly Dam. Normally I'd go for 3.

Then I discovered the bar clamp area was crushed as well. Wiggle wouldn't warranty them. I highly doubt the crushed clamp area contributed to the flex. After being a long-time satisfied user of Easton's EC70 range of bars and seatposts, I was extremely confused and disappointed.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:56 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Duck! wrote:I recently put a Carbonal handlebar on my MTB. ....

What were they like to deal with ?

Thanks for the feedback

I've found them prretty good to deal with, just be wary that if your order happens to coincide with a holiday period in China it can take some time for orders to be despatched. Their communications man Jason seems well-educated in English, so you're not trying to decipher some weird "Chinglish" like you can get from some sources.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:12 pm

Cheers.

Carbonal don’t do the style of bars that I am after.

Thanks for the tips Christopher