I am looking for a good bell.

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

I am looking for a good bell.

Postby tinstaafl » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:37 pm

G'day Biker@s
I'm looking for recommendations in relation to a bell for my bike.
I've noticed that a lot of people are wearing ear phones when walking or jogging or riding.
I like the sound of my old kertching bell but it seems to be failing to obtain the desired result.
Any slightly serious suggestions?

Robert
tinstaafl

by BNA » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:56 pm

BNA

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:56 pm

I don't know of a bell loud enough to penetrate the fog these imbeciles wrap themselves in :roll: , maybe a Melbourne tram bell?

You coould look at a horn, I think it's called "Air Zounds"?

I ditched the bell ages back, it's not worth the weight penalty if it's useless, depending on the pedestrian, anything from a polite G'Day to an agonised scream works for me most of the time.

IMO, use of these devices should be regulated, people have died beacuse they didn't hear the car/train/bus etc.
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby europa » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:53 pm

Most bike shops don't even bother to fit bells, though they are required by law. The shop I bought the Black Beast from has a big box of them.

I like the bell. I find that calling to a pedestrian, even if you give a clear message such as 'passing on your right' almost invariably panics them. One early twenties jogger went for me :shock: Dead set, I thought he was going to kill me - takes all kinds to stuff up a world.

A bell can also panic them but most just look for you. Old people particularly are tuned to listening for the bell. You can also use a bell a lot earlier than a call, though a word of thanks (through clenched teeth sometimes) as you go past seems a useful bit of PR too. I use the bell now for every encounter - sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it just makes this nice ching noise and all is well with the universe ... apart from the flying bicycles in front of you.

But yeah, walkmans etc are a scourge but not as bad as the human pedestrian's predisposition to panic.

Richard
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby ShanDog » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:29 pm

:twisted: You could always strap an air horn to your handlebars :twisted:
ShanDog

Postby Bnej » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:32 pm

I want a rock holder for my bars, that holds half a dozen medium size rocks.

To throw at cars, dogs, and anyone who bothers me. ;)
Bnej

Postby europa » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:37 pm

You lads are just too aggressive. What happened to the milk of human kindness, tolerance and love for our fellow man, understanding of his ability to be the next recipient of a Darwin Award.

Richard
medium sized rocks ... hmm, probably about right, and know that nice source of granite chunks ...
europa

Postby adelaidecyclist » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:42 pm

I loved my bell on my commuter for the few months I had it. It was one of the ones that used a spring that you pulled down to make the noise, rather than the mechanical ones. One day I rang it and the spring just launched over my bars and into a bush.

Been riding bell-less since. I'm not paying for a device that doesn't seem to achieve much. Whether I have a bell or not doesn't make those that hate bikes like me. :roll:
adelaidecyclist

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:11 pm

Bnej wrote:I want a rock holder for my bars, that holds half a dozen medium size rocks.

To throw at cars, dogs, and anyone who shits me. ;)

May I humbly suggest golf balls. I'm more accurate throwing the rotten things than hitting them :oops:
Last edited by Mulger bill on Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby tuco » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:16 am

Bnej wrote:I want a rock holder for my bars, that holds half a dozen medium size rocks.

To throw at cars, dogs, and anyone who shits me. ;)

I know the OP asked for serious suggestion but since like bells, no one listens, I'll add this. I heard of a story of a guy who carried nun chucks (spelling) in his jersey pocket. Any cars pissed him off he let them have it.
Last edited by tuco on Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
tuco

Postby Bnej » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:20 am

Think the only Guaranteed to be Noticed device is the Air Zounds horn.

I've also seen those electric warning sound things in flat bar grips around, like on the new inventors. (they go weoweoweowoeowoeowoeo when you press the edge of the grip)
Bnej

Postby sogood » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:10 am

Mulger bill wrote:May I humbly suggest golf balls. I'm more accurate throwing the rotten things than hitting them:oops:

Yep, they are the right weight, size, and have a pitted surface to optimize the trajectory and time to target. Further, it has a surface Shure hardness that'll pit any landing surface. :D
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby beauyboy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:46 am

I would never ride without a bell. Very much needed on shared paths and blind corners of bike paths. When I got my pionear it did not have the bell fitted did not relise this until half way home, Other half did not want to go back. I did the next day.
As for people with headphones on or the ones that simply take up the whole path and don't more. :evil: I give them about 10cm clearence between my back tyre and there foot. :P :twisted:

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

Postby McPete » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:40 pm

None of my bikes have ever had a bell, and I've found that people do have a tendancy to ignore them, due to iPods or whatever.

So, on a shared path, it's just that shared. I give the pedestrian, despite the fact they may have cotton wool in their ears, a fair go. I slow down, I wait for a gap or a widening in the path. Don't want to risk loosing the "shared" bit and just ending up with an expensive footpath.

HOWEVER, there are some pedestrians that still astound me with their ability to avoid ANY outside stimuli. Prime example: I come out of the laneway down the street from my school, and head the 70 metres or so up the road to the driveway. Some girls from the school nextdoor are walking across the lip of the driveway just before I get there, and I go up the drive behind them. As I get onto the curb, my bike makes a fairly loud rattle as the reflectors in the wheels dance about a bit... and the girls just jump out of their skins... "WHAT THE F*** WAS THAT? We never saw you coming you little s***!" Amazing.

And then we come to that little laneway I left back up the end of the street. Around the second last corner, a blind corner there are ALWAYS a group of smokers from both schools. Being tough, hiding from the teachers while they have their fix of tobacco. Sitting right in the middle of a path that they know is frequented by bicycles. I've quite often had to stop and wheel my bike through the mess of human idiocy without starting a fight(which is remarkably easy, I've observed on many an occasion). I've only ever once clipped one of the buggers, just with the edge of my pedal. I might take a trail bike through there one day, just to clear 'em out
McPete

Postby europa » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:33 pm

The biggest fright I've ever given a pedestrian was, again, a teenage girl. Bopping along with her walkman while she tapped furiously at her phone. I rang my bell. Nothing. Rang it again and utter panic - she was walking TOWARDS me at the time :shock:

Richard
europa

Postby cludence » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:29 pm

I rekon a water gun would get them moving. Squirt to the back of the head as you zoom by. My nephew has some fancy spiderman one that blasts a fair distance too.

Water never hurt anyone.

Karen.
cludence

Postby tuco » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:53 pm

cludence wrote:I rekon a water gun would get them moving. Squirt to the back of the head as you zoom by. My nephew has some fancy spiderman one that blasts a fair distance too.

Water never hurt anyone.

Karen.

But it's no fun until someone loses an eye.
tuco

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:32 pm

They don't need headsets to be thick, off the train this morning, onto Spencer St for the quick blat to work. Well there's a set of lights at the Little Collins St intersection, I'm clicking up the block for the green when a crowd of peds head for the crossing, time to back off, methinks. Lucky, two of 'em step out not six metres in front. Self screams the usual "Shiiiiiiiiiiit" while trying to keep the back planted. I stopped on the line, disc rotors glowing. This of course gave half a dozen more SHEEP approval to cross right in front :evil:

While I have always had a "flexible" approach to the rules as a rider or ped, I won't wear 'phones or zone out into my own tiny mind trusting others not to kill me.
Being in "the right" is small consolation when you're lying on a trolley in casualty.
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Bnej » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:53 pm

You will notice most shared paths are "Bicycles Give Way to Pedestrians", which means you can ring your bell and they do not have to get out of the way - it's only polite. It's up to you to find a way past them.

Just saying.
Bnej

Postby Mr888 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:35 pm

cludence wrote:Water never hurt anyone.

Works better if you turn the water into ice and fling at them with a sling shot...nope, water never hurt anyone! :shock:
:twisted:

In all seriousness, bells do not work in my experience(and it sounds like most of us as well). The best way I've found is to scream out "Passing" about five metres away from the person(s) -provided you still have breath. Most people politely oblige, some even apologise :shock: ...who said that the love for our fellow Man and tolerance is dead :?:
Mr888

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:44 pm

Bnej wrote:I've also seen those electric warning sound things in flat bar grips around, like on the new inventors. (they go weoweoweowoeowoeowoeo when you press the edge of the grip)

I googled it at http://www.sonicgrip.com.au pretty impressive, Gonna have a look tomorrow if I can sneak away from work for a quick blat up Bourke St :wink:
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby europa » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:52 pm

I've got to disagree that bells don't work. If anything works, bells work better but yeah, we're talking about the 'least inefficient' method of announcing your presence :?

Richard
europa

Postby ShanDog » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:00 pm

europa wrote:I've got to disagree that bells don't work. If anything works, bells work better but yeah, we're talking about the 'least inefficient' method of announcing your presence :?

Richard

I think I'd have to agree with that. Honestly, short of actually hitting them with something, I'd have to say most things don't really work but bells do work the best with the least amount of effort.

If you really need to get them out of the way, just scream... I've done it once with a 150% effective rate.... but I was desperate because they were taking up the whole path (three of them in a line) and I was flying down a shared path and only saw them on a blind corner .... I did also scream a sorry after I got past though :P
ShanDog

Postby Bnej » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:07 pm

I reckon going over about 20-25 it's generally safer to use the road - unless it's a high speed road.

Once you're doing 30 cars will have more time to react to you (in a 50 zone) than you would have to react to pedestrians on a shared path, and there's generally more room.

I use shared paths for more relaxed rides, to take the stress out of it, so I've never really pushed for speed on them.
Bnej

Postby europa » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:23 pm

Yeah, you don't go fast when pedestrians are around. Having said that, most of the bike paths around here are relatively unpopulated so you can travel quickly on them.

Old folks are the most understanding and the most forgiving, sometimes the most common too, but they are also the most easily scared and quite likely not to know you're coming. I give little kids and anyone older than me more room than I give the average pedestrian - and both appreciate the happy greeting in passing more too :D

Richard
europa

Postby tinstaafl » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:24 am

Does anybody ahd a suggestion about a good quality bell that will make a good hard sound everytime I need it?
I find that the $7 bell I have now is a hit and miss affair and if I try to ring it too hard it just sounds dull.
I think that the bell sound is more commonly associated with bikes so that is what I am looking for.

Robert
tinstaafl

Next

Return to Buying a bike / parts