I am looking for a good bell.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:08 am

Just have a look around. I don't think there's any rocket science in them and the cheap and nasties seem to be as bad as the expensive ones. Most these days feature a hammer which hits the bell - if you don't flick it hard enough, it don't work. You can get the old style with the whirring mechanism inside but the bell part works loose on these and while it is easy to tighten, you usually don't know until it doesn't work for you. Just go to kmart or big W and see what they have, it's not something worth spending a lot of money on IMHO. Positioning on the bike is important too as anything touching the bell will dull the sound and that 'touch' isn't always obvious.

Richard

Akadoo

Postby Akadoo » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:37 pm

Just a tiny bit (2c) of rocket science; louder is better, and higher pitch will cut through the ear buds better than low pitch. Go for the tiny steel bell, it is louder and high pitched compared to aluminium.

tinstaafl

Postby tinstaafl » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:44 pm

Akadoo wrote:Just a tiny bit (2c) of rocket science; louder is better, and higher pitch will cut through the ear buds better than low pitch. Go for the tiny steel bell, it is louder and high pitched compared to aluminium.
Thanks Akadoo,
This is what I am looking for.
Something apparently obvious to experienced riders.

You are all welcome to assume that I am quite iggorant about some of the finer points of riding.

Robert

pospete

Postby pospete » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:42 am

Austrain Cow bells would probably work a treat, but not the most fashionable accesory. I've noticed on Ebay several electrical systems for bikes, including one that has an added brake light that is triggered off the brake cable. Also has an electric horn, tho I suspect it may not be loud enough.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:25 am

Oh gawd, that reminds me of some years ago when the poms tried to introduce airbags on motorbikes :?

Richard

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:15 am

I have to admit I like the idea of a brake light. With my commute back from tafe being at night now it might be nice. Then again is it really needed?

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

pospete

Postby pospete » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:37 pm

europa wrote:Oh gawd, that reminds me of some years ago when the poms tried to introduce airbags on motorbikes :?

Richard

Look I'm trying to loose the accent but it takes time!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:50 pm

beauyboy wrote:I have to admit I like the idea of a brake light. With my commute back from tafe being at night now it might be nice. Then again is it really needed?

Donald
Brakes slow you down, don't use them.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:20 pm

After extensive testing with my Air Zound, I have found that it's 120 db blast of noise penetrates any form of music player.

I highly recommend getting one. :twisted:

cludence

Postby cludence » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:19 pm

I just read this on another website. Might do the trick. Some guys made this as a practical joke.

"Bike horn. Imagine a souped-up rucksack complete with sub-woofer, mid range, tweeter AND horn speakers set to max volume playing sound effects. Genius. It was wicked fun to cycle up behind someone and press the lion-roar button!"

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:05 pm

I have had a bike (air) horn for years... easy to pump up with a bicycle pump and load enough for car drivers to take notice.

For pedestrians a short quick tap will make them notice but not jump out of their skins.

Air Horn - RECOMMENDED !!

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:25 pm

Great idea!

I think one of the emergency air horns from one of my construction sites is going to go mysteriously missing in the next few days. Let's pray that no emergencies arise soon :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

cludence

Postby cludence » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:35 pm

What about a megaphone?

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:39 pm

cludence wrote:What about a megaphone?
Bomb raid siren? or Fog horn on ships?....the effect would be hilarious, but it's a shame that it's too big to lug around.

cludence

Postby cludence » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:46 pm

You can get those emergency alarms. The ones women carry in handbags. They are very loud. Some councils give them out for free. :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:12 am

Good idea there Karen :)

Dunno about mounting it, but we cyclists are nothing if not inventive :wink:

Shaun

cludence

Postby cludence » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:18 am

They usually come with a strap. I am sure it could be modified.

MJF

Postby MJF » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:17 am

The other weekend I dug out the bell from my old road bike (early 80's Apollo III) and put it on the new bike. Much louder... I haven't had any issues scaring pedestrians since, and the main issue is ringing the bell early enough so they don't panic.

Why is it they could make decent bells 20 years ago, but all of the modern ones are crap?

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:37 am

MJF wrote: Why is it they could make decent bells 20 years ago, but all of the modern ones are crap?
It might be partly because they're compulsory. That's created a big marlet for super cheap crappy bells for bike manufacturers/retailers to put on new bikes so that they can comply with the letter of the law, if not the spirit, and at the same time reduced the demand for decent aftermarket bells because most people just make do with the one that came with their bike.

tinstaafl

Postby tinstaafl » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:42 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I have had a bike (air) horn for years... easy to pump up with a bicycle pump and load enough for car drivers to take notice.

For pedestrians a short quick tap will make them notice but not jump out of their skins.

Air Horn - RECOMMENDED !!
Are you talking about something like this?
http://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=1

It looks brilliant. Does it scare dogs?

Robert