Advice on a new daily commuter in Perth.

commute

Advice on a new daily commuter in Perth.

Postby commute » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:57 pm

Hi all. I've been commuting on an Avanti Blade since 2011. The first few years were along a nice smooth PSP for 95% of my ride.
I moved house mid 2014 and now my ride is mostly roads with only a small section of PSP from Burswood to the city. Both commutes were / are 6.5km each way. I ride rain, hail or shine every day of the week. (especially rain, cause Perth traffic in the wet is horrid)

During that time its gone through a fair bit of maintenance, replacing the drive train a couple of times + new wheels. Would have spent way more on maintenance than the bike originally cost. Since moving house though I think the rougher road has accelerated the deterioration and resulted in more trips to the bike shop than I would like.
The bike is looking a bit worse for wear at the moment, frame is ok but the drive train is due for replacement and the rear wheel has started snapping spokes the last couple of times I have stood up going up a hill. Lots of rusty bits on the group set. The mud guards and rear rack basket are both damaged too.

I'm thinking rather than spending any more money on this that it is time for a whole new bike.
At this stage I plan on sticking with some kind of urban or flat bar road bike.
Looking to spend up to about $1500.
Definitely want the ability to fit mud guards and a rear rack for cargo.
Ideally I want there to be as little maintenance as possible.
Nothing too cumbersome, would like to be able to zip along reasonably quickly still.

So far I have been considering the likes of the Avanti INC 3 or Lekker Amsterdam Elite with the belt drive and Shimano IGH.

Thoglette

Re: Advice on a new daily commuter in Perth.

Postby Thoglette » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:35 pm

You're on the right path - 32mm tyres, full mudguards and racks (or front bag) make all the difference for all season commuting.

There's a huge range of bikes to choose from, the challenge in Perth is actually finding some examples to try out. Good luck trying to find, say, a Masi Randonneur or Soma Pescadero or Riv Clem (although all are a little outside your target price point) to ride.

In local bikes, the Malvern Star Oppy S1/S2 and Porter 2 are worth checking out, depending on what floats your boat.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:32 pm

Bikeexchange has a Electra Ticino 7D 2015 in Margret River for under a grand. Again, if that's your thing.

At the other extreme, there's a few people flogging the Breezer Doppler Pro 2018 (700x45 fully faired with drop bars and disks)

commute

Postby commute » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:08 pm

Thoglette wrote:the challenge in Perth is actually finding some examples to try out.
Yes the joy of living in such an isolated place!

Currently reading about Cyclocross and gravel / adventure bikes.

I'm still on the fence about the gates drive and an IGH. The more I read, the more mixed reviews I come across. Would really need a trustworthy LBS to commit to something like that cause there is no way I would be DIY'ing if anything needed attention.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:25 am

I suggest a Jamis Coda, but no idea where I can get one in Perth. Given your last post indicating you need service backup and the good idea of trying before you buy, it seems you need to check what is available at some LBSs.

owly

Postby owly » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:08 am

Not sure if they'd have something for $1500 but I'd pop in to Cycles Bespoke sometime for a look.
MUFC :twisted:

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:48 am

Oooh! Retro Bling! Elite cycles has a Gios Spazio Tourer 2016 in your price range.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:55 pm

You sound exactly like me. I had an Avanti Blade for about 6 years, and decided for a new bike.
I wanted to stay with the flat-bar style. I never used the smallest ring on the triple chainring, so wanted a double. As I also ride in all conditions, so hydraulic disc brakes were important.

I ended up getting a Specialized Sirrus Comp Disc. The frame and brakes are great. The mix and match of the drive-train weren't as I wanted them (9-speed 50-34 with a crumby FSA BB) so I eventually changed to Shimano BB and Shimano 10-speed 52-36. The wheels are good enough but not easily serviceable so I'm looking to change one day. I fitted it with SKS Chromoplastic mudguards and leave them on all-year.

If I were to choose a commuter bike today I would be looking at the Trek FX Sport 4. Pretty much ticks all the boxes. It has the same brakes and virtually the same drive-train I have now and they work flawlessly.
https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/bike ... rCode=grey

Thoglette

for the fan of the modern flatbar asthetic

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:17 pm

Red Rider wrote:... I would be looking at the Trek FX Sport 4. Pretty much ticks all the boxes.
Yup. Just add mudguards and racks.

commute

Postby commute » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:05 pm

Good suggestion! Going to see if a shop that sells Trek out my way has one this evening.

I've been trying to track down somewhere that has a Giant ToughRoad SLR GX 0 in my size, not easy in Perth! It is on sale at 1900 which is slightly more than what I was going to spend but I really like the look of it.