Hand Gloves for Road Bike, extreme weather

maninlycra

Hand Gloves for Road Bike, extreme weather

Postby maninlycra » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:34 am

Winter is soon going to come, technically its here.
I don't want to suffer riding my road bike like every year,
I do ride in 1-2 degree centigrade colds and with winds it gets extremely painful to an extend where all I can think of while riding is the cold and the pain in my fingers.

Do you know of, based on your or someone else's experiences what gloves would suit where my fingers don't freeze up in such weather.

MichaelB

Re: Hand Gloves for Road Bike, extreme weather

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:49 am

Quality is the best bet. Gore have been a good brand for me.

One of the downsides is that the better they are in cold weather, the bulkier they can be.

Be prepared to spend good money to get good gloves, $60 or so will get something pretty good. Pay attention to the reviews and what people say.

maninlycra

Postby maninlycra » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:18 am

MichaelB wrote:Quality is the best bet. Gore have been a good brand for me.

One of the downsides is that the better they are in cold weather, the bulkier they can be.

Be prepared to spend good money to get good gloves, $60 or so will get something pretty good. Pay attention to the reviews and what people say.

I know they will be bulky, am fine with that.
But don't want to just buy something based on reviews online, I'd rather get feedback from you guys.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:27 am

Before reaching for some gloves, I think it helps to understand how the body responds to cold conditions.

Basically, when it is cold, the body diverts blood flow away from the limbs and surface of the skin, and restricts it to the torso and head to preserve body heat for the vital organs. If you hands feel cold, it is because there is not much blood (and body heat) circulating to them.

You are better off trying to prevent losses from the areas of the body that DO have heat, than massively insulating the hands. Basically, treat the disease of being cold, not the symptoms. A gilet or vest will do a lot more to keep you warm than a pair of gloves, and is pretty flexible as it gets warmer later in the morning or as you are climbing. The legs are also worth considering - while they are working hard and generating plenty of heat, they also have a lot of surface area, so some lined tights or leg warmers can do a lot to prevent heat losses. If you can increase your CORE body temperature like this, the body will be more prepared to send some blood to the hands.

I use a thin pair of long fingered gloves in winter (Victoria), and in extremely cold conditions (down to -5C) I will wear a thin pair of polypro liner gloves underneath. But I have usually put on a helmet liner, cycling jacket and neck buff before I would consider liner gloves.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:48 pm

madmacca wrote:Before reaching for some gloves, I think it helps to understand how the body responds to cold conditions.

Basically, when it is cold, the body diverts blood flow away from the limbs and surface of the skin, and restricts it to the torso and head to preserve body heat for the vital organs. If you hands feel cold, it is because there is not much blood (and body heat) circulating to them.

You are better off trying to prevent losses from the areas of the body that DO have heat, than massively insulating the hands. Basically, treat the disease of being cold, not the symptoms. A gilet or vest will do a lot more to keep you warm than a pair of gloves, and is pretty flexible as it gets warmer later in the morning or as you are climbing. The legs are also worth considering - while they are working hard and generating plenty of heat, they also have a lot of surface area, so some lined tights or leg warmers can do a lot to prevent heat losses. If you can increase your CORE body temperature like this, the body will be more prepared to send some blood to the hands.

I use a thin pair of long fingered gloves in winter (Victoria), and in extremely cold conditions (down to -5C) I will wear a thin pair of polypro liner gloves underneath. But I have usually put on a helmet liner, cycling jacket and neck buff before I would consider liner gloves.

really? I understand the principle, but riding through 1-2 deg temp is going to freeze those hands off no matter how hot my core temperature is.

I certainly have had many times when I am running in the cold, core temp is warm, ie sweating but fingers are freezing numb.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:41 pm

eeksll wrote: ...

really? I understand the principle, but riding through 1-2 deg temp is going to freeze those hands off no matter how hot my core temperature is.

I certainly have had many times when I am running in the cold, core temp is warm, ie sweating but fingers are freezing numb.

I'm with him.
:lol:

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:49 pm

If you are real thin, then I'd recommend mits that keep your fingers together. I rode a lot when younger in the US snow belt and gloves didn't cut it.

Whatever you get, ensure they have good wind protection, without making your hands sweat.

Consider a two layered approach. Early morning needs are often not the same as post 9am glove needs. I used to wear a light underglove with good wind resistance, and a mitt over the top.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:10 pm

It all depends on you I guess. I'm good with normal fingerless gloves to around 10C, below that I'll switch to a summer mtb XC glove (stuff that I can wera down to just above zero but up to 20 withotu much issue as the daycan var over a ride). If I know its going to be cold all ride, like 1 or 2C and below, then I'll break out my winter gloves, which are just some thicker Giro gloves, Ill still get cold hands down to -5 but it's not too bad to worry about.
Look 675 Pro Team, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Scott Spark 710, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

maninlycra

Postby maninlycra » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:50 pm

So from the numerous post it seems Giro gloves are what I need to get?
Seems like not many have had the same experience with cold freezing morning rides as myself.
Melbourne does get very cold at 5am in winter.

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:11 pm

1 - 2 degrees isn't really extreme temperature. Any long fingered glove, even a cheapie from K-Mart should suffice.

Maybe you have a medical condition, have you been to a doctor to have this checked out?

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:00 pm

maninlycra wrote:So from the numerous post it seems Giro gloves are what I need to get?
Seems like not many have had the same experience with cold freezing morning rides as myself.
Melbourne does get very cold at 5am in winter.

I'm more worried when its minus 3 or 4 at lunch time and you're out for a few hours and end up covered in ice... :mrgreen:
Look 675 Pro Team, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Scott Spark 710, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:00 pm

I like these for minute Melbourne winter. I've done whole days out in winter with these. https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/collecti ... 1665376707

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:09 pm

hamishm wrote:I like these for minute Melbourne winter. I've done whole days out in winter with these. https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/collecti ... 1665376707

Ground Effect are bargains compared to the .eu competition. If not them then you need to be looking at the "outdoor" and ski shops.

I find "inners" under leather motorcycle gloves the go for frosty mornings. Or fleece/softshell. But would crack out the ski gloves if I'm out below -5 for more than half an hour. The worst weather is 0 and hard rain. Might as well crack out the neoprene :(
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

xastorm

Postby xastorm » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:57 pm

Cold hands are a HUGE problem for me, and I swear by these.. sadly they are not waterproof and turn into giant sponges in the rain.

http://www.wiggle.com.au/gore-bike-wear ... -gloves-1/

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:36 am

I've got poor peripheral circulation. I wear some wooly Thinsulate gloves until it gets really close to zero (rare in Perth), if it's below say 3c in the mornings I bought a pair of ski gloves that are so warm my hands sweat if it's not around that temperature!

p.s. I ride if the roads are wet, but not if it's actively raining.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

maninlycra

Postby maninlycra » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:09 pm

xastorm wrote:Cold hands are a HUGE problem for me, and I swear by these.. sadly they are not waterproof and turn into giant sponges in the rain.

http://www.wiggle.com.au/gore-bike-wear ... -gloves-1/

Thanks, they don't have my small size in stock so will check another store.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:37 pm

$15 snow gloves are probably going to blow away any cycle specific stuff, brand name logos add no insulation or water resistance.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:08 pm

Jmuzz wrote:$15 snow gloves are probably going to blow away any cycle specific stuff, brand name logos add no insulation or water resistance.

In terms of insulation yes, but that comes at the expense of bulk and being able to operate the levers effectively.

It's a trade-off between a range of factors, and from experience, this can often take a few goes to get something that you are happy with

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:30 pm

yeap, I have tried snow gloves, can't operate the brake properly.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:51 pm

eeksll wrote:yeap, I have tried snow gloves, can't operate the brake properly.

I can. But I use snow gloves not snow mittens.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:01 am

I find bulky gloves are only a slight nuisance on Shimano levers.
Braking and twisting the whole lever for a downshift is no problem but upshifts on the smaller paddle lever can sometimes be a bit awkward.
Still, I'd rather warm hands and good gloves than painfully cold fingers. I just put up with and adapt to thick gloves. I wear these with wool or poly liners on frosty mornings, had 'em for 8 years now, very good quality;
https://www.showerspass.com/collections/mens-gloves/products/mens-crosspoint-softshell-waterproof-gloves?variant=27454078213#
I wear these thinner Endura gloves down to about +4℃;
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/endura-windchill-glove-ss17/rp-prod163353

kb

Postby kb » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:30 pm

eeksll wrote:
madmacca wrote:Before reaching for some gloves, I think it helps to understand how the body responds to cold conditions.

I’m the other way - much prefer to have fingerless gloves even down to sub-zero (as long as it’s dry). Takes 20 minutes or so to warm the hands up but they do warm up. OTOH, it could just mean I’ve too much insulation _under_ my skin ;-)

owly

Postby owly » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:17 pm

I use Roeckl Regello GTX winter glove with a silk liner, in the coldest temps.

Does the job well.

Purchased from bike-components.de
(If you purchase the Roeckl silk liner, size one up from their guide).
MUFC :twisted:

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:33 pm

Very happy with a Sportful set I have...good for down to 4-5 but when it drops below that there is a mit cover that folds out of back of hand. This not also has a seperate mit for the index finger to allow brake control/gear selection.

The adjustability is very ummm...handy.