And then there was 12 ......

MichaelB

And then there was 12 ......

Postby MichaelB » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:13 am

Well, it's been rumoured for a while, but finally, Campagnolo launches 12 speed SR & R

Not a Campagnolo man myself (the thumbs just don't work with the levers), but will be interesting to see what the uptake of this is.

I'm presuming that it won't be cheap by any means, but it will be interesting to see the price and weights.

Some odd things like no EPS in 12 sp, and no quick links for the chain. More special really expensive tools ....

Is 12sp now really a solution in search of a problem .... :lol: :roll:

queequeg

Re: And then there was 12 ......

Postby queequeg » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:58 am

MichaelB wrote:Well, it's been rumoured for a while, but finally, Campagnolo launches 12 speed SR & R

Not a Campagnolo man myself (the thumbs just don't work with the levers), but will be interesting to see what the uptake of this is.

I'm presuming that it won't be cheap by any means, but it will be interesting to see the price and weights.

Some odd things like no EPS in 12 sp, and no quick links for the chain. More special really expensive tools ....

I'm going to hold out for 13-speed
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:53 am

MichaelB wrote:I'm presuming that it won't be cheap by any means,
https://www.probikekit.com.au/brands/ca ... aign=Zanox

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:55 am

Campagnolo should have gone straight to 13 speed since there's usually a couple of gears not working properly. :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:20 am

queequeg wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Well, it's been rumoured for a while, but finally, Campagnolo launches 12 speed SR & R

I'm going to hold out for 13-speed
Let's wait for someone to do a lightweight CVT without quirks. I know they exist, but they do have quirks and they are heavy.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:22 am

P!N20 wrote:
Only $470 for a cassette. Bargain :shock:

Velt

Postby Velt » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:23 am

P!N20 wrote:
Ha, you can buy ultegra R8020 disc groupset for less than the price of a super record chainset.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:20 pm

ouch, I guess they charge what people are willing to pay (kinda like apple).

says can use on current generation hubs, is there a new "generation" or would that be the same as all 11 speed since 11 speed campag started coming out. Not that I have pockets deep enough for this kit.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:25 pm

eeksll wrote:ouch, I guess they charge what people are willing to pay (kinda like apple).

Funny you should say that, I've always thought of Campy as the Apple of the cycling world. Nice to see someone else say it.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:28 pm

lol, the jockey wheel is as big as a cassette sprocket.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:39 pm

I'll sit on the chair and wait for 15-20 speed. Just wait for the 190m rear spacing to come to road bikes. Single in front and dinner plates on back.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:41 pm

MichaelB wrote: I'm presuming that it won't be cheap by any means, but it will be interesting to see the price and weights.
The article on Cycling Tips mentoned $3600US for SR Disc & $3200 for SR rim brake, and $$2750/$2150US for Record. Add at least a third for Au pricing, purely for an exchange rate perspective.

EPS is mentioned as still in the works, for a slightly later release. 12-sp, so they say, helps close some of the inevitable gaps that arise from stretching the cassette range and maintain a more even progression through the range.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:41 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:lol, the jockey wheel is as big as a cassette sprocket.
So are the long-standing traditional 11t pulleys.... :wink:

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:42 pm

Damn, I am still on 10sp Record and Chorus on my two bikes. I believe when you fall two group-set versions behind you are only permitted to post in the "Retro Forum" and your riding mates automatically scoff "Retro Grouch" at any comments you make.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:43 pm

MichaelB wrote: Only $470 for a cassette. Bargain :shock:
Cheaper than SRAM MTB cassettes by a decent whack. And they don't even have titanium sprockets.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:49 pm

eeksll wrote: says can use on current generation hubs, is there a new "generation" or would that be the same as all 11 speed since 11 speed campag started coming out. Not that I have pockets deep enough for this kit.
Meaning that unlike Shimano/SRAM 11-sp. there is no change to the cassette interface that renders it incompatible with older stuff. Which by extension means it will fit on the same hubs as 10-sp. as well, because thanks to their wider 10-sp. cassettes, Campag didn't have to change the freewheel body for 11-sp, although some hubs needed a thin spacer behind the cassette a la Shimano 10-sp. to correct for the inward dishing of the big sprocket and eliminate cassette drag on the hub shell.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:50 pm

Duck! wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:lol, the jockey wheel is as big as a cassette sprocket.
So are the long-standing traditional 11t pulleys.... :wink:
True that, I think the photo I looked at made it appear oversized, possibly the tall profile teeth at fault here.

As mentioned in another thread previously, Campy for show, SunTour for go (yes I'm a dinosaur...)

Wondering what happens when a 13sp cassette becomes a reality, and how many pro riders won't adopt on superstitious grounds...(generic eastern euro accent I am not riding on this, it is, how you say, unlucky)

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:56 pm

Given the superstition surrounding 13, I wouldn't be surprised if they skip it & go straight to 14-sp. :mrgreen:

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:58 pm

Duck! wrote:Given the superstition surrounding 13, I wouldn't be surprised if they skip it & go straight to 14-sp. :mrgreen:
140mm rear ends, hmmm sleek (not)

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:36 pm

I made a comment some years ago about one day we'll have 14 speed and wonder what was so wrong with 9 speed. Looks like not too many years to wait. I'm still using 1 X 7 sp on the wet bike, 3 X 8 sp on the MTB and 1 X 9 sp on the road bike. I'll be forced to upgrade once higher speed parts become cheaper, or I can't get replacements anymore.

Spending big on bicycles seems to make increasingly less sense to me with each passing year. As others have said in the past, looking at the prices of budget motorcycles really highlights what poor value high end bicycles are. The Joneses must have really expensive bikes these days. :wink:

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:56 pm

Nobody wrote:I made a comment some years ago about one day we'll have 14 speed and wonder what was so wrong with 9 speed. Looks like not too many years to wait. I'm still using 1 X 7 sp on the wet bike, 3 X 8 sp on the MTB and 1 X 9 sp on the road bike. I'll be forced to upgrade once higher speed parts become cheaper, or I can't get replacements anymore.

Spending big on bicycles seems to make increasingly less sense to me with each passing year. As others have said in the past, looking at the prices of budget motorcycles really highlights what poor value high end bicycles are. The Joneses must have really expensive bikes these days. :wink:
+1
I'm with you on this.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:37 am

Duck! wrote:
MichaelB wrote: Only $470 for a cassette. Bargain :shock:
Cheaper than SRAM MTB cassettes by a decent whack. And they don't even have titanium sprockets.
And I can get 5 Shimano 105 cassettes (yes, I know not the same weight, blah, blah) and enough for a nice dinner out too with the missus ...

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:49 am

Not a Campag fan my any margin, though never ridden with their groups either. Is there though any discernible difference between them and Shimano? Eg, Super Record vs Dura-ace

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:38 am

Jawa wrote:Not a Campag fan my any margin, though never ridden with their groups either. Is there though any discernible difference between them and Shimano? Eg, Super Record vs Dura-ace
Where's the popcorn .....

To some, it's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another.

To some, it's life & death.

And the rest, it's more like, "The bike came with SRAM/Shimano already and the deal was good".

There are differences, but from where I see it, the genuine Campagnolo Tifosi are ardent supports in that it's better all round. Do they make a rider faster, better or more handsome ? Dunno. I tried a Veloce groupset a while ago, and the thumb lever didn't work for me, but other than that, it worked fine.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:11 pm

Duck! wrote:
MichaelB wrote: I'm presuming that it won't be cheap by any means, but it will be interesting to see the price and weights.
The article on Cycling Tips mentoned $3600US for SR Disc & $3200 for SR rim brake, and $$2750/$2150US for Record. Add at least a third for Au pricing, purely for an exchange rate perspective.
If I was going to shell out that amount of money, personally, I'd go for this

Now, THAT would be worth it. Still wouldn't make me any quicker, but the inner geek in me would love it !!!!