Cell Bikes probably no longer in business

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cell Bikes probably no longer in business

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:00 pm

After many months of uncertainty and word that Cell Bikes (Plex Pty Ltd) was in significant debt to numerous distributers / suppliers - Cell Bikes appear no longer to be operating.

The most recent Google Customer Reviewers in April for Cell Bikes shows that goods ordered online are no longer being sent (though the website is still online).

I am aware that a number of big-name distributers have collected their stock from the shop premises.
Cycling is in my BNA

Thoglette

Re: Cell Bikes probably no longer in business

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:18 am

Stunned. <deleted - wrong company>
Last edited by Thoglette on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:45 am

Sad news

My family has owned 3 different Cell bikes, all of which gave excellent service

I bought my son a basic Cell roadie many years ago, it got him into cycling and we enjoyed many rides together (until it was written off after he got cleaned up by a car)

I bought an Omeo 2 shortly after they came out. It was the only way I could have afforded an aero DI2 equipped bike at the time. It had dome may km's (including the Lake Tauopo ride, may Loop the Lakes and the odd Newcastle to Dungog) Although I had an issue with a cracked frame last year (still not 100% sure I did anything to cause it) Cell sold me a 1/2 price replacement frame. Its still going strong and it is still my ride of choice.

My son then bought a cheap cell fixie when he moved to Melbourne, he ran it into the ground over several years of commuting.

Cell used to be my workmates and I go to store for all our accessories and spares. Every few weeks someone would be sending out emails saying cell had tubes, or CO2 or tires or something one special, and did we want to get in on a group order to save freight.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:33 am

Ah, bugger.

Wonder what led them to the position ? Just couldn't get the volume they needed ? Checked their site every now and tehn (and was a prior customer), but hadn't bought anything there for a while as range & price didn't match others.

Maybe a spiral they couldn't get out of.

Maybe, the decision not proceed with a road disc bike (there was a potential test of prototypes available to BNA back in mid-2016) that just never came off despite promises and ongoing delays, and maybe that was an early warning sign ?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:37 am

AUbicycles wrote:After many months of uncertainty and word that Cell Bikes (Plex Pty Ltd) was in significant debt to numerous distributers / suppliers - Cell Bikes appear no longer to be operating.

The most recent Google Customer Reviewers in April for Cell Bikes shows that goods ordered online are no longer being sent (though the website is still online).

I am aware that a number of big-name distributers have collected their stock from the shop premises.
And worse, the website still says "We are hiring":

http://www.this link is broken/Careers

They should pull the site down. I didn't buy too much from them it must be said, only various smaller bits, some tyres, etc, nothing major. I just didn't find them as good as the local bike shop I go to. The local bike shop I use might be a bit more expensive, but they are very dependable.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:45 am

Maybe it was because their new logo was rubbish:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/960823823200235520

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:24 am

g-boaf wrote:They should pull the site down.
Remember, we're still in rumour and innuendo mode at the moment. It might be true. Or they may be chasing the last signature on a financing deal. Or it could all be fake-news, spread by their competitors.
(rustle, rustle, rustle.)
Nope, ASIC site says Plex Pty Ltd (ABN: 66 091 196 342) is in external admin. (https://connectonline.asic.gov.au/RegistrySearch)

Someone's pulled the rug from under them, today.

11/04/2018 8E0076421
Notification of Resolution Winding Up The Company (205M)

11/04/2018 8E0076389
Notice By External Administrator/controller-Appoint/cease (505J)
Appointment of Liquidator (Creditors' Voluntary Winding Up) ()

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:35 am

Another one bites the dust.

And at the same time, 99Bikes is opening stores (big ones at that) in several new places in Adelaide ....

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:02 pm

wow, that's a real shame.
I've bought stuff from them over the years. Some of the specials were really competitive and often cheaper than OS online shops. I'd often order online and pickup from the shop if the items are small.

I actually bought a light from them last month with instructions again to pick them up from the shop (saving me a few bucks). but i still received the item via EXPRESS post 2 weeks ago . .despite paying no postage. hmm ..

I often see their bikes in the office bike racks (3 different places of employment) so it does appear that they have a good reach to the commuting crowd?

perhaps not so much the weekend high-spending cycling warriors (just my $0.02) ..

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:30 pm

<Deleted>
Last edited by Thoglette on Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:49 pm

That's a shame. I've used a Cell flatbar for commuting for the past 4yrs and it's always done me well.
I used to buy a bit of stuff from them (spares, clothes, other bits n pieces) as their prices were good and delivery was quick but in recent years have found some of the smaller UK retailers sell cheaper even after postage.
I think it would be a hard market to compete in.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:38 pm

That really cuts out two major bottom end players in the market with reid struggling as well.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

JPB

Postby JPB » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:50 pm

I did not like that their online price was less than their in store price. Unless I know the exact item I want I prefer to buy from a bricks and morter store, that is what dissuaded me from shopping at their Stanmore store.

Spaniel

Postby Spaniel » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:58 pm

Bloody hell, nearly ordered some stuff from them on Monday!

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:29 pm

g-boaf wrote: And worse, the website still says "We are hiring":
http://www.this link is broken/Careers
They should pull the site down.
It's hard when administrators come in because they tend to barricade the doors and tell all employees to go away.
It can take weeks for someone to get access to the logins, and that's if employees will even co-operate anymore.

It usually all happens without much warning, management knows they are struggling yes, but once that decision is made that there won't be a recovery bam it happens fast.

Always shop with creditcard and you are safe, though still inconvenienced.

It's a shame times are so tough that even an online direct seller can't survive.

Marx

Postby Marx » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:38 pm

Shame. Fond of my Cell Awaba 2.0 29er MTB, solid handler & great spec for price. I'll keep it after the next MTB upgrade as a commuter, but no probs now with a frame re-paint/vinyl wrap as the brand is dead.
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:49 pm

Not overly surprised or saddened by this, however am sympathetc to the employees who have lost their jobs because mgmt couldn't do their job, and for the unpaid creditors who will maybe see cents on the dollar. I don't think the cycling landscape will alter dramatically as a result of this, may even be good news for brands like Reid/Samson etc that inhabit that end of the spectrum.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:07 pm

Cell Bikes were pretty good bikes, they had a very skilled designer who drive their road and MTBs and had a good price for the quality.

The cell bikes models were both standard but also in-house developed bikes and I agree that it is a shame that they didn't continue with the disc brake bike. The company moved over to Token Bikes which appeared to replace the Cell Bikes.

Calvin27 - read the interview with James Reid - founder of Reid Cycles which was published in February. It discusses their fluctuations and how they are adapting. It would be fair to say that they are in a different position.
Cycling is in my BNA

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:14 pm

That's really sad news, I was hoping to buy a Token disc road bike later this year. I bought a lot from Cell over the years (was riding in a Cell jersey this morning) and my brother bought a Swift road bike from them, neither of us ever had anything but great service. I'd love to know how they went from designing their own (very good looking) bikes to this in such a short time.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:42 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Cell Bikes were pretty good bikes, they had a very skilled designer who drive their road and MTBs and had a good price for the quality.

The cell bikes models were both standard but also in-house developed bikes and I agree that it is a shame that they didn't continue with the disc brake bike. The company moved over to Token Bikes which appeared to replace the Cell Bikes........
And this, I feel, is the point at which things started to go pear-shaped (the move away from in-house to stocking Totem and other peoples bikes, and becoming a reseller as opposed to a brand), or maybe it was a sign of things already going pear-shaped. Is a shame that a further element of competition on the local scene has passed, but if they weren't going to provide their own product they became just another chain LBS and there are a few of those (of various levels) around.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:43 pm

Worryingly though is the apparent live status of the web site, and in the few minutes I was there, 5-6 pop ups occurred indicating that Joe in Strathfield just bought XX tyres etc etc...wonder what the likelihood of those orders being fulfilled are..

S'pose it depends on the Administrators perspective as to whether they may possibly be abe to trade out of it or if it becomes a fire sale etc.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:55 pm

The popups would just be 'kind of' faked. It can be based on real data but it is manipulated and tries to increase the chance of shoppers to commit (sheep mentality). Pretty standard practice - but doesn't mean that orders are being processed.
Cycling is in my BNA

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:04 pm

AUbicycles wrote:The popups would just be 'kind of' faked. It can be based on real data but it is manipulated and tries to increase the chance of shoppers to commit (sheep mentality). Pretty standard practice - but doesn't mean that orders are being processed.
Thanks, that feels about right, I'd always suspected they were fictitious, nice to have it confirmed.

More worrying are the people on IG asking questions, especially the one guy who's trying to arrange a return of his bike...

Not sure this will end well.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:28 pm

For customers who have purchased products from brands - when the shop is closed for business - customers should contact the wholesales / distributer.

For Cell Bikes brands, this is tough as Cell Bikes are the importer and customers have it tough. They probably have to register with the appointed liquidator. Likewise any brands that have stock or unpaid bills.

Company: Plex Pty Ltd
ACN: 091 196 342
Trading name: Cell Bikes
Appointment Date: 11 April 2018

Liquidator Kong Yao Chin
Address Suite One, Level 7, 234 George Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Contact person Ky Chin
Contact number 0294840296
Facsimile 0283228089
Email ky.chin@eagleia.com.au
Cycling is in my BNA

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:50 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Calvin27 - read the interview with James Reid - founder of Reid Cycles which was published in February. It discusses their fluctuations and how they are adapting. It would be fair to say that they are in a different position.
Cheers, good to see they are still around and apparently healthy!
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike