Loooking for a suitable bike kit

Meagan

Loooking for a suitable bike kit

Postby Meagan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:58 am

Hey there!
I'm a newbie here actually and the reason why I am here is quite simple. I want to upgrade my bike and rebuild it into the e-bike. I've got Trek Domane 2.3 bike and firstly, I wonder whether it's convenient to transform or not. Hope its possible :lol: :lol: :lol: I was looking at some bike kits and I guess AW Kit PAS System seems appealing.
main features are
Motor specifications: 48V, 1000W, 470rpm
High motor efficiency >80%
Motor diameter: 245mm
Reinforced 32mm rim and 40mm tire etc.

Mububban

Re: Loooking for a suitable bike kit

Postby Mububban » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:22 pm

Meagan wrote:Hey there!
I'm a newbie here actually and the reason why I am here is quite simple. I want to upgrade my bike and rebuild it into the e-bike. I've got Trek Domane 2.3 bike and firstly, I wonder whether it's convenient to transform or not. Hope its possible :lol: :lol: :lol: I was looking at some bike kits and I guess AW Kit PAS System seems appealing.
main features are
Motor specifications: 48V, 1000W, 470rpm
High motor efficiency >80%
Motor diameter: 245mm
Reinforced 32mm rim and 40mm tire etc.
My understanding is that 1000W is not legal to ride on the road in Australia. There is a maximum 250W for pedal assist, or 200W for throttle controlled (I have a front wheel motor throttle kit with 200W).

The Domane 2.3 has carbon forks? if so, a front wheel motor will not be suitable, they recommend only rigid alloy forks or decent quality suspension to cope with the torque without failing.

Also there aren't many road bikes that will fit a 40mm tyre. More like 30mm maximum.

I got mine from http://solarbike.com.au/ If you browse to Electric Kits > Conversion Kits you'll see the different battery options and front or rear wheel kits (I believe you'll need a rear wheel kit in 700c).
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:42 pm

Mububban wrote:My understanding is that 1000W is not legal to ride on the road in Australia. There is a maximum 250W for pedal assist, or 200W for throttle controlled (I have a front wheel motor throttle kit with 200W).
it does vary from state-to-state but basically that's it (e.g. WA 200W or 250W with 25kph speed limiter)
Mububban wrote:I got mine from http://solarbike.com.au/ If you browse to Electric Kits > Conversion Kits you'll see the different battery options and front or rear wheel kits (I believe you'll need a rear wheel kit in 700c).
Unfortunately they're also flogging 1kW kits without noting their illegality.

You might get booked by Mr Plod (the charges start with riding an unregistered motorcycle and riding without the correct licence) and they'll impound your bike. What is certain is that you will get your arse sued off if you have any sort of accident.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Meagan

Postby Meagan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:57 pm

My understanding is that 1000W is not legal to ride on the road in Australia. There is a maximum 250W for pedal assist, or 200W for throttle controlled (I have a front wheel motor throttle kit with 200W).

The Domane 2.3 has carbon forks? if so, a front wheel motor will not be suitable, they recommend only rigid alloy forks or decent quality suspension to cope with the torque without failing.

Also there aren't many road bikes that will fit a 40mm tyre. More like 30mm maximum.

I got mine from http://solarbike.com.au/ If you browse to Electric Kits > Conversion Kits you'll see the different battery options and front or rear wheel kits (I believe you'll need a rear wheel kit in 700c).[/quote]

you're right, I found this while checking

came across this page https://www.bestadvisor.com/electric-bike-kits and I guess the first option fulfill mentioned all above said though forks are really carbon. :| :| confused a bit :roll: :roll:

Meagan

Postby Meagan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:07 pm

Unfortunately they're also flogging 1kW kits without noting their illegality.

You might get booked by Mr Plod (the charges start with riding an unregistered motorcycle and riding without the correct licence) and they'll impound your bike. What is certain is that you will get your arse sued off if you have any sort of accident.[/quote]

yeap, unfortunately
some of the rules irritate me so much :x

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:48 pm

What sort of $$$ are these kits going for? :|

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Meagan

Postby Meagan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:55 pm

foo on patrol wrote:What sort of $$$ are these kits going for? :|

Foo
up to 600$

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:05 pm

Meagan wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:What sort of $$$ are these kits going for? :|

Foo
up to 600$
:shock: :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:44 pm

I was wondering if you ever purchased your e bike conversion kit? I am thinking about the same thing.
I have a nice flat bar roadie that doesn’t get used much and thought it might be a fun project.
Cheers
Never underestimate the power of ignorance