New Commuter - Approx 14kms in Adelaide

swordvish

New Commuter - Approx 14kms in Adelaide

Postby swordvish » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:34 pm

Hi folks,

I've just moved to Adelaide and having previously been lucky enough to walk to work, I am now faced with a choice of driving, public transport (sloooooow) or cycling. I'm keen to pick up a commuter bike and I'll more than likely bike in wet weather as well as dry. I've been eyeing a couple of Polygon bikes as I'm all about the VFM.

Can anyone give me any advice on the difference between these two and which would likely suit my profile? Thanks!

https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/2018- ... -city-bike

https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polyg ... -road-bike

10speedsemiracer

Re: New Commuter - Approx 14kms in Adelaide

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:03 pm

swordvish wrote:Hi folks,

I've just moved to Adelaide and having previously been lucky enough to walk to work, I am now faced with a choice of driving, public transport (sloooooow) or cycling. I'm keen to pick up a commuter bike and I'll more than likely bike in wet weather as well as dry. I've been eyeing a couple of Polygon bikes as I'm all about the VFM.

Can anyone give me any advice on the difference between these two and which would likely suit my profile? Thanks!

https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/2018- ... -city-bike

https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polyg ... -road-bike
The FX4 is more flat bar road bike with Shimano Tiagra components-9,9 kgs and mechanical Tektro discs vs the Path3 being a Hybrid with a mixed component set-triple chainrings-13,3 kgs + Shimano hydraulic discs.

It depends what sort of rider you are, and where you're riding. The FX4 will be faster and more agile, but the Path3 has better brakes. The FX4 is much lighter and has a better component mix (aside from brakes, although these brakes are still fine).
Personally, I think the FX4 is good value for money, at sub-$1k for a disc-braked Shimano Tiagra bike under 10kgs.

If your ride is relatively flat or you value light weight and a higher speed potential, then the Fx4 is more appropriate. If you have steep hills (up and/or down) and value the lower gearing and hydraulic brakes, then the Path3 may be more appropriate.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

swordvish

Postby swordvish » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:00 pm

Thanks 10speed, I'll have a think. I'm leaning towards the FX4 as like you said I'm keen for the extra agility and speed since this will be a commuter bike :D

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:36 pm

If you're after value for money, then I'd look at second hand.
You can likely find one that has light usage, bought buy someone who has changed their mind or given up cycling.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:18 am

You won't pick the right bike first go.
So that makes secondhand a real good way to go. Learn a bit more about what bike suits the route, how much of a sport you want to make it (competing with yourself on Strava etc), what size you actually need, whether your body adapts to leaned over (much faster) styles or has to stay straight upright.

Your butt will feel bruised and back muscles sore and legs sore for the first few weeks nomatter what bike. So adapt during that stage and then you start getting a better feel for the bike.

You don't mention your weight. This does matter when 80kg+ with baggage since lightweight low spoke count wheels get pushed to their limits and start snapping spokes.
So that can be an important consideration and pushes towards strong touring wheels rather than racer wheels.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:31 pm

worth considering a reid?
https://www.reidcycles.com.au/urban-x3.html

there is a reid bike store on pultney street in adelaide.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Both do come with sensible sized tyres (32mm and 35mm) but looking at the images, it appears that neither of these bikes has eyelets for mudguards and racks on the frames.

As I've said elsewhere, I don't think flat bars are the best choice for a twice daily, all weather 14km commute. While the poly "bend" will show itself to be aptly named due to the aggressively low bars, the "path" could be renamed the "sail" as that's what you'll be in it's only position. :)

Both have slightly unusual cassette/chainring selections - the Path has gone all mountain bike with it's front triple and 11-34 cassette while the Bend is strictly a roadie with a short cage derailleur.

Frankly, I wouldn't pick either for a flat, middle distance commute in a windy city.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

swordvish

Postby swordvish » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:30 pm

Thanks guys. I would absolutely consider 2nd hand but I don't see a lot in my size on Gumtree at present.

I'm starting to think this Giant might be suitable as I'm keen to get a bike thats already setup with guards and a rack:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/bikes ... y-equipped

I'm not too fussed if the bike isn't perfect. I weight about 70kg's btw!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:00 pm

swordvish wrote:Thanks guys. I would absolutely consider 2nd hand but I don't see a lot in my size on Gumtree at present.

I'm starting to think this Giant might be suitable as I'm keen to get a bike thats already setup with guards and a rack:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/bikes ... y-equipped

I'm not too fussed if the bike isn't perfect. I weight about 70kg's btw!
The Cross City is a good option. Someone else mentioned a Reid Urban as another alternative, and for the price ($750) is actually fairly well specced. Might be a good idea to go down to Reid Adelaide and have a test ride, and then hop on over to Giant Adelaide (they have a sale on right now) and try a Cross City. Both are selling for similar $s, both have hydraulic discs and 32mm tyres, both can do racks and guards. The deciding factor should be how you feel on the bike during test ride.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

swordvish

Postby swordvish » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:00 pm

Just noticed the reid urban x3 is $675 delivered on their eBay store. Tempting.

I think I will test ride that and the giant this weekend

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:16 pm

Thoglette wrote: while the Bend is strictly a roadie with a short cage derailleur.
Yeah for any commuter or beginner bike it is much more sensible to go with midcage so it takes the lower gearing cassette. Preferably already 11-32 or 11-34 geared.
Only sacrifice is the gap between gears, which doesn't matter in most cases, top speed is identical but you get the hillclimb ability. Loaded luggage into a headwind up steep hill and those low gears are a blessing.

I agree proper road dropbar is probably better, unless a really rough route.
A flat bar style will probably be replaced by a roadbike after a few months when fitness increases (and at 28km every day it will) and desire to tuck down and go faster increases with it.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:31 am

A flat bar style will probably be replaced by a roadbike after a few months when fitness increases (and at 28km every day it will) and desire to tuck down and go faster increases with it.
Or - a flatbar bike will be augmented by a new dropbar bike. And thus N+1 begins...

swordvish

Postby swordvish » Sun May 13, 2018 6:27 pm

Ended up with a Merida Speeder 100 flat bar roadbike in the end. Loving it!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon May 14, 2018 5:52 pm

swordvish wrote:Ended up with a Merida Speeder 100 flat bar roadbike in the end. Loving it!
Great!
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ