HELP! Mountain/hybrid or cyclocross bike?

Aussteve2712

HELP! Mountain/hybrid or cyclocross bike?

Postby Aussteve2712 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:59 pm

Hi all, I am a road rider, Trek Domane 5.2, however my wife & I are going to be starting a 12 month lap of Australia in our caravan starting later this year. (Yeah I know it's tough). We are planning a lot of remote & free camping and I want to take a bike with me but I don't believe the terrain is going to suit a road bike at all. I would think I'll be riding gravel roads, bush tracks, trails and possibly climbing & downhill. What do members believe would be the bast type of bike to meet these needsm MTB, hybrid, cyclocross? I'll either be buying cheap or second hand up to $5-600. I've been researching online but am pretty stuck right now but looking pretty seriously at a 2016 Polygon Cozmic RX3.0 29er.
I'm open to all suggestions & thanks all who contribute their thoughts. :?: :? :?:
Steve.

Really??

Defy The Odds

Re: HELP! Mountain/hybrid or cyclocross bike?

Postby Defy The Odds » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:15 pm

Really depends on where you will be riding but cyclocross bikes are quite aggressive in their geometry and so this may be a deciding factor. How many km per session will you ride?

Just from the info above either an MTB or gravel bike although it would be easier and cheaper to find a 2nd hand MTB than a gravel bike due to their abundance

Aussteve2712

Postby Aussteve2712 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:00 am

Thanks Defy_The_Odds, haven't any experience or knowledge of cyclocross, other than tye concept, so your comment is very helpful & rules those out for me. Currently I'm getting back on the bi,e after a bit of a spell & riding 30kms a session & would hope to be able to do at least 20 when away, depending on terrain etc.
Steve.

Really??

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:10 am

Mountain bike. You can ride them anywhere. Sure it won’t be as efficient on the road, but they’re good enough. Be annoying to find it’s too tough for a hybrid if you find some good trails. Cyclocross won’t really suit a cruise down the street to the shops either being more aggressive. All you need is a hard tail.

If you do get an MTB don’t focus on kms, look at time on the bike, it’s a better indicator in off road terrain.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:13 am

Yeah, what Bychosis said. Find a well-kept hardtail MTB (known brand preferably) for $300, spend a bit servicing and maybe putting tyres on it. Done.
Mmm, SunTour

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:23 am

Find a well-kept hardtail MTB (known brand preferably) for $300, spend a bit servicing and maybe putting tyres on it. Done.

Exactly. And those bikes for that price exist in their millions on Gumtree, at Cash Converters and at tip shops. Try to avoid the really cheap ones and you may have to wade through gazillions of online ads for "bicycle" that give you no useful information, but there are loads out there.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:34 am

+1 For mountain bike.

Word of warning though MTB is much more fun than road riding (flame suit) :P
Fast light bike
Cushy dirt bike
Workhorse bike
No brakes bike
Ebike :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:01 pm

Calvin27 wrote:Word of warning though MTB is much more fun than road riding (flame suit) :P

No need for a flame suit when you are correct. :lol: MTB is for fun. Road is for business (fitness, transport) :lol:
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

owly

Postby owly » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:32 pm

For something like that I'd ideally look for a rigid hardtail with rims that can be setup tubeless, then put on some suitable tyres.
MUFC :twisted:

Aussteve2712

Postby Aussteve2712 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:56 pm

RobertL wrote:
Find a well-kept hardtail MTB (known brand preferably) for $300, spend a bit servicing and maybe putting tyres on it. Done.

Exactly. And those bikes for that price exist in their millions on Gumtree, at Cash Converters and at tip shops. Try to avoid the really cheap ones and you may have to wade through gazillions of online ads for "bicycle" that give you no useful information, but there are loads out there.

What are people's thoughts about this? A little more that $300 but seems to be a good thing?
Compare Mountain Bikes

2015 Cozmic29 RX3

Frame:ACX ADVANCED CARBON CROSS COUNTRY 29ER, 12X142MM

Front Fork: FOX 32 FLOAT CTD O/C REMOTE EVOLUTION, TRAVEL 100MM, TAPERED STEERER*
Rear Suspension:
Shift Lever: SHIMANO DEORE XT SL-M780I
Derailleur Front: SHIMANO DEORE XT FD-M781*
Derailleur Rear: SHIMANO DEORE XT FD-M781*
Brakes Front: SHIMANO SLX BR-M675*
Brakes Rear: SHIMANO SLX BR-M675*
Brake Levers: SHIMANO SLX BL-M675*
Pedals: SHIMANO PD-M520*
Crankset: SHIMANO DEORE XT FC-M782 40X30X22T, 170MM(S-M), 175MM(L)*
Chain Cover:-
Bottom Bracket: SHIMANO PRESS-FIT BB
Chain: SHIMANO DEORE XT CN-HG95
Cassette: SHIMANO SLX CS-HG81, 11-36T*
Hub Rear:-
Hub Front:-
Rim:-
Wheelset: SHIMANO WH-MT66*
Spokes Nipples:-
Tires: SCHWALBE RACING RALPH, 29”X2.10”, UST
Saddle: FIZIK TUNDRA 2, MANGANESE RAIL
Seatpost: ENTITY ELITE, CARBON SHAFT, 30.9X400MM*
Stem: ENTITY ELITE, CARBON, 90MM*
Handlebar: ENTITY ELITE, CARBON, 720MM*
Grips:-
Headset: POLYGON INTEGRATED SEALED BEARING, TAPERED 42/52MM, CARBON CAP
Steve.

Really??

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:10 pm

Looks good, but check the carbon bits for damage. I guess it's up to you on the budget side.

Only thing I'd consider is it has some decent gear on it so might be more valuable to thieves. How are you planning on storing/transporting it while travelling? Having a really cheap looking bike has it's advantages.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:48 pm

Aussteve2712 wrote:......
2015 Cozmic29 RX3

Front Fork: ......

How much is the Cozmic seller asking ?

Was not a cheap bike when sold new...
Mmm, SunTour

Aussteve2712

Postby Aussteve2712 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:31 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Aussteve2712 wrote:......
2015 Cozmic29 RX3

Front Fork: ......

How much is the Cozmic seller asking ?

Was not a cheap bike when sold new...

I figure a new bike will have lower grade componentry than a better second hand bike. Seller is an acquaintence of my daughter in Sydney, & was expensive when new.
Steve.

Really??

Aussteve2712

Postby Aussteve2712 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:35 pm

bychosis wrote:Looks good, but check the carbon bits for damage. I guess it's up to you on the budget side.

Only thing I'd consider is it has some decent gear on it so might be more valuable to thieves. How are you planning on storing/transporting it while travelling? Having a really cheap looking bike has it's advantages.

Yeah will be having a very close look at the carbon. Regarding security, when we are away from the caravan it will either be inside the caravan or our vehicle, otherwise chained & padlocked to the caravan.
$500.00 through a friend of my daughter is Sydney seems very reasonable?

Love the "Bychosis" reference by the way.
Steve.

Really??

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:27 pm

That price seems more than fair if the bike is in very good condition, but maybe a bit high if it needs work.

Has a very nice component mix on it, and with the right tyres would be a blast to scoot around on..
Mmm, SunTour

Aussteve2712

Postby Aussteve2712 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:45 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:That price seems more than fair if the bike is in very good condition, but maybe a bit high if it needs work.

Has a very nice component mix on it, and with the right tyres would be a blast to scoot around on..

Hi, I'm told it is in very good condition requiring no work at all. The current owner, of 12 months, says he has never been offroad at all.

Thanks for your thoughts on the bike.
Steve.

Really??

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:45 pm

Aussteve2712 wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:That price seems more than fair if the bike is in very good condition, but maybe a bit high if it needs work.

Hi, I'm told it is in very good condition requiring no work at all. The current owner, of 12 months, says he has never been offroad at all.

Thanks for your thoughts on the bike.

Well in that case, I think grab it. Plus, if it has the original tyres (Schwalbe Racing Ralph) they'll be pretty good for the sort of terrain you'll be riding in, as these are apparently good for hardpacked and mixed surfaces. Not so good in soft bits (mud etc) but don't imagine you'd do lots of that..

Nice pick up, quite a cool bike for the $s..
Mmm, SunTour

Aussteve2712

Postby Aussteve2712 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:52 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Steve.

Really??

Aussteve2712

Postby Aussteve2712 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:05 pm

So......just found out in time before making the trip from Coffs that the bike is a CX, not RX as described. Where to from here people?
As previously noted I believe I'll be riding gravel, dirt & forest tracks more than anything else with bitumen where I can find it. I'd like 29' wheels & hydraulic discs, budget about $500, probably prefer to get second hand as I figure that will bring a better spec than a new bike.
Could I get reponses about make and model from those who have experience of the particular bike(s) being recommended?
Thanks heaps, in anticipation.
Steve.

Really??

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:28 pm

Aussteve2712 wrote:So......just found out in time before making the trip from Coffs that the bike is a CX, not RX as described. Where to from here people?
As previously noted I believe I'll be riding gravel, dirt & forest tracks more than anything else with bitumen where I can find it. I'd like 29' wheels & hydraulic discs, budget about $500, probably prefer to get second hand as I figure that will bring a better spec than a new bike.
Could I get reponses about make and model from those who have experience of the particular bike(s) being recommended?
Thanks heaps, in anticipation.

The Cx appears to be the aluminium/alloy version of the Rx, with a little bit of cost-cutting here and there.

Hard to find specs for it, but appears to be Deore 3x10, a SunTour XCR fork, Schwalbe Rapid Rob tyres on Ryde wheels, Shimano hydraulic discs.
It sold for around $1000 when new, so being 18 mths old, I'd offer the seller $400 and see what happens. Will provide a similar ride experience to the Rx, aside from frame material.

The above is for the CX2.0, if it's a CX3.0, there's a slight difference in spec (upwards) with Shimano SLX 2x10, slightly upgraded brakes, Rockshox Recon fork, DT Swiss wheels, Schwalbe Racing Ralph.

There may be some variation between model years, but it seems like a fairly well specced bike for the $s.

Think it could still be worth grabbing...
Mmm, SunTour

Aussteve2712

Postby Aussteve2712 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:48 am

Thanks 10Speedsemiracer, that's kind os where my thinking is, albeit that I'm really annoyed at being misled. When the bike is clearly labelled as a CX (when the appropriate photos are shared) but my specific queries regarding what model it is was met with a reply "it's RX3.0" I consider that a deliberate to mislead.
Steve.

Really??

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:36 pm

Yeah I'd walk away as well, solely based on that.
Mmm, SunTour

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:49 pm

Aussteve2712 wrote:Thanks 10Speedsemiracer, that's kind os where my thinking is, albeit that I'm really annoyed at being misled. When the bike is clearly labelled as a CX (when the appropriate photos are shared) but my specific queries regarding what model it is was met with a reply "it's RX3.0" I consider that a deliberate to mislead.

It is possible that the owner thought it was an RX despite the labels. People who that buy a mountain bike and never use it off road may not be that observant.

Still, plenty of other bikes out there.

The Aldi crane 29ers are apparently good value. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3182907013

Aussteve2712

Postby Aussteve2712 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:56 pm

bychosis wrote:
Aussteve2712 wrote:Thanks 10Speedsemiracer, that's kind os where my thinking is, albeit that I'm really annoyed at being misled. When the bike is clearly labelled as a CX (when the appropriate photos are shared) but my specific queries regarding what model it is was met with a reply "it's RX3.0" I consider that a deliberate to mislead.

It is possible that the owner thought it was an RX despite the labels. People who that buy a mountain bike and never use it off road may not be that observant.

Still, plenty of other bikes out there.

The Aldi crane 29ers are apparently good value. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3182907013

I don't know why he would think that, the bike was advertised as "BIke Polygon good condition" on further questioning I was advised that it was an RX 3.0. On request I was sent a photograph of the area where the bike model is displayed that clearly shows CX 3.0. Now I wonder why the bike was initially advertised as "BIke Polygon good condition" only, was that a lack of knowledge of the bike he says he has owned for 12 months, was it an attempt to deceive? One would think when I specifically asked the question in an e-mail & later in a phone conversation asking for confirmation of model the opportunity to check or "come clean" presented itself. Since this I have found the seller has advertised the bike twice on the same site at different prices, $550 & $550. Regardless of this it just shows the need for us to do our due diligence.
Re that Aldi Crane, the user reviews are terrible. I was going to get a Polygon Premier 5 but they don't do 29ers in medium size which is a real bummer. Got to rethink everything now.
Steve.

Really??

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:13 pm

Aussteve2712 wrote:I don't know why he would think that, the bike was advertised as "BIke Polygon good condition" on further questioning I was advised that it was an RX 3.0. On request I was sent a photograph of the area where the bike model is displayed that clearly shows CX 3.0. Now I wonder why the bike was initially advertised as "BIke Polygon good condition" only, was that a lack of knowledge of the bike he says he has owned for 12 months, was it an attempt to deceive? One would think when I specifically asked the question in an e-mail & later in a phone conversation asking for confirmation of model the opportunity to check or "come clean" presented itself. Since this I have found the seller has advertised the bike twice on the same site at different prices, $550 & $550. Regardless of this it just shows the need for us to do our due diligence.

Fair enough, still one to avoid. In my experience gumtree sellers are pretty ordinary most of the time. Many can't be bothered to find out details about what they are selling, and wont try to help a buyer.

Re that Aldi Crane, the user reviews are terrible. I was going to get a Polygon Premier 5 but they don't do 29ers in medium size which is a real bummer. Got to rethink everything now.

Did you find the right Aldi Crane bike? They have produced a lot of rubbish, but the 'proper' one they sold recently (around $350) was apparently very good value for money, I'm fariyl sure I linked to the same model. https://flowmountainbike.com/tests/flow ... ance-29er/