Fuji Hybrid Bike?

benzinlaca

Fuji Hybrid Bike?

Postby benzinlaca » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi, we are in the process of buying two hybrid/comfort bikes for riding on bike paths, primarily. Max we've done so far is 30KM on some borrowed 5+ year old Giants. We only started riding again at Xmas after a 20+ year break, and are realy enjoying it.

We (wife and I) have ridden an Apollo Shadow and an Avanti Discovery and liked both. We hope to ride a Fuji Crosstown 1.0 this week. We both weigh around 70KG's. We are looking at around $500 per bike.

The Fuji Crosstown 1.0 seems to offer more bang per buck, but I don't know much about Fuji other than they've only recently been reintroduced into Australia. It has Shimano Deore derailleurs which is a plus over the Apollo and Avanti.

The folks at the Avanti Shop were very helpful and I'm sure we'd be fine with the Discovery.

So any advice on which of these to buy or other suggestions most welcome.

Neville Franks

10speedsemiracer

Re: Fuji Hybrid Bike?

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:39 pm

There are a bunch of suitable bikes but if you and your wife are riding on paths, I would suggest not bothering with suspension.
Others to consider:
Fuji Absolute
Kona Dew
Marin Fairfax
..and the list keeps on going. I've had experience with all of the above and found then to be well made and well equipped for the price.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:24 pm

Also, the Giant Cross City is a further option, and Giant are having what they call a factory-backed sale.

Here's a link to see if there's anything near you : https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/news/ ... w-on/22635
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:25 pm

benzinlaca wrote:Hi, we are in the process of buying two hybrid/comfort bikes for riding on bike paths, primarily. Max we've done so far is 30KM

We are looking at around $500 per bike.
Forget suspension. It adds ~1kg and does nothing beneficial on bike paths.
Instead of hybrid, check out the "flat bar road bike" or "city" category of bikes.

Sort by price to find models within your budget (also forget RRP, in store price is usually lower) but check out bikes such as:
Trek FX
Giant Cross City
Merida Speeder
Apollo Exceed
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:42 pm

Ive got an old school Avanti Blade - and the Mrs has a Trek FX 7.1 with the step through frame - Both go great on the footpaths. Never had any issues with either and the Avanti is pushing 7 years old and the most I've had to do is replace the brake pads. We picked both up for under 500 - I even think the Trek was like $350 in a mothers day sale.