Advice to Find a Frame

Thornegator

Advice to Find a Frame

Postby Thornegator » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:35 pm

Hello all,

I haven't found the bike that I am looking for (spec, style, price, etc....) on this continent or other, and have decided to build my own. I am pretty handy with a spanner, so comfortable with the process.
What I am looking for is some advice on where I can find a frame/ frame set that would meet my criteria.
Any (helpful) suggestions would be very appreciated....
-road-ish frame
-steel frame
-large/XL frame size (I am 184cm/6'2", inseam 84cm/33")
-disc brakes
-classic style
-wheel/tire combo 700c upto 32
-greater than 8 speed

Granted, if money was no option I could just go with a custom, or custom-priced frame......But it is an option :wink:
If it helps my intended purpose is a flat barred, relaxed road bike with disc brakes. I will install baskets and child seat so my little guy and I can tick over the km's with more emphasis on taking in the view than setting land speed records.

Thank you in advance,
Taylor

Bentnose

Re: Advice to Find a Frame

Postby Bentnose » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:32 am

Hi Taylor, what is your budget? A self build generally costs more though my current MTB I'm building has worked out cheaper than buying an equivalent locally, as long as you can find some bargains.
No signature

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:38 pm

Thornegator wrote: -steel frame
-disc brakes
Until recently, those two were the limiting factor, discs were for MTB and steel for retro grouch road bikes.

Your choices were limited to Surly, Salsa and getting a custom build.

Thankfully things have changed with the adventure/gravel bike market.

I am a tinker, until recently my only new road bike still has the original frame and fork every other component was been replaced including headset, and I have built from scratch on new and second hand frames. My most recent bike was going to be a custom build, until a brand new bike came up a price too good to refuse.

What you need to realise is building up a bike will cost 33 to 50% than buying the same bike ready made, plus you need to invest in tools on top of that and you waste good riding time building it up.

I would strongly suggest buying a ready built bike as your first bike, developing the skills, buying the required tools to maintain it and swap out the parts you don't like. And as it is your first bike, your requirements will change in the first 12 months.

Looking at you requirements list there are a couple in the Malvern Star Heritage Oppy Range that almost fit you bill.

Oppy SFi Heritage Bike - ok it has a 7 speed Nexus hub, otherwise it ticks every box, and personally a decent 7 speed hub will be sufficient for most needs. However, if the space between the gear ratios is too large you can replace it with a 11 speed Alfine or budget permitting 18 speed Rolhoff hub. If the gear range is not wide enough, a double or triple crank, MTB front derailleur will getting you climbing any hill and descending at stupid speeds if required.

Oppy S2 Heritage - my pick as it has hydraulic discs (fib I am SRAM user, I want the next model up, but that is pure personal preference). It is dropbar, I will not try to convince you, read post instead http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=93145. I would say try dropbar, if it does not work out, you can always swap out the 105 brifters, for RS700 flatbar shifters and flatbar hydraulic brake levers, cost around $300 if you do the work.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:50 pm

Find someone's used Kona or Salsa, buy it, strip it, build it.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Thornegator

Postby Thornegator » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:54 am

Thank you all for the response, very helpful!

I have been pricing up individual components to compare to purchasing the bike completed from a local bike shop, and quickly getting the feeling that I would be spending more. As you said Bentnose, I would need to find deals, or I would have to skimp on some of the components to stay within budget, which I loosely staying around $800 with. Nikobec, you make a good point with the specialty tools. I have all the standard tools, but the specialty (cassette fixing tool, etc...) would be pricy.
Nikobec and 10speedsemiracer, I like the Oppys and the Kona and Salsa option....also the Somas as well. The Oppy I like and ticks all the boxes, with me getting used to drop bars (I'm a MTB'er). I will revisit the used bike market to have a search for the Salsas and others to see what might be out there.

Thanks again,

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:09 am

Thornegator wrote: I will revisit the used bike market to have a search for the Salsas and others to see what might be out there.

Thanks again,
Umm not trying to second guess the market but I consider you would be lucky to get a second hand salsa here in Aust. I have been following the market for the last ten years pretty well. You just dont see them and think I may have bought "most" of the around 60cm /xl frames that came into Aust, I have three and while I bought them new I wont be selling in a hurry.... Maybe try bombproof? Also suggest all city, good bikes and some pretty good new models have come about in the last year, a bit solid when vs the tubeset that salsa use, but they ride very well and are easy to build up, fun to ride, even better if you wish to have a steel fork. Also I am just new to ritchey (in steel) frames and very much enjoying the ride and design of my hopefully, no wait, WILL BE the very last bike that I ever buy.
My call but dont be put off by the cost of the frame, it will be the cheapest part of a build if you go down the build it yourself track. If you are tall best think about the place who trade lots of big frames...Europe, have a look at bike 24 who ship frames to aust pretty cheap. Also look at hi bikes and bike-components. Have had good luck with all three if you keep an eye on the sales they have.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:31 pm

Thornegator wrote:Thank you all for the response, very helpful!

I have been pricing up individual components to compare to purchasing the bike completed from a local bike shop, and quickly getting the feeling that I would be spending more. As you said Bentnose, I would need to find deals, or I would have to skimp on some of the components to stay within budget, which I loosely staying around $800 with. Nikobec, you make a good point with the specialty tools. I have all the standard tools, but the specialty (cassette fixing tool, etc...) would be pricy.
Nikobec and 10speedsemiracer, I like the Oppys and the Kona and Salsa option....also the Somas as well. The Oppy I like and ticks all the boxes, with me getting used to drop bars (I'm a MTB'er). I will revisit the used bike market to have a search for the Salsas and others to see what might be out there.

Thanks again,
I think your going to get an absolute steal to get a kona/salsa/soma/surly for $800 second hand. Others like baabaa :P would grab it for more than that.

edit: is steel the same as chromoly?
https://www.reidcycles.com.au/4130-frameset.html

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue May 01, 2018 2:12 pm

Chro-mo is one flavour of steel.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue May 01, 2018 3:34 pm

De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue May 01, 2018 6:29 pm

Thornegator wrote:I would need to find deals, or I would have to skimp on some of the components to stay within budget, which I loosely staying around $800 with.
That is going to make it challenging, most of the frames being suggested are around that mark, are around that price.

Even the RRP of the basic Malvern Star Oppy S1 is higher than that (though you can find it discounted)

The alternative is if you are willing to do without disc brakes, and seeing you can't afford hydraulic discs, cable discs are not a real improvement on well set up cantilevers. Start looking at 20 year old steel tourer or even rigid MTB frame and build that up. It will take time, patience in finding the right bits and as much money as you budget and a bit more.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue May 01, 2018 6:56 pm

Mountain Bikes Direct currently has Wayward Cape York frames heavily discounted. Frame geometry is more modern relaxed style, than classic road bike, and they are a touring frame so are solidly built, but for the price you'll struggle to find anything else new in the ballpark, especially locally supported. I built one of these frames up recently for commuting (unfortunately not at this price!) and it rides very nicely.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue May 01, 2018 6:57 pm

More I think about it, I think the combination of spec you want and steel frame will push this over the budget. My advice would be find something like a used Kona Dew, Specialized Sirrus or Giant whatever, give it a reco with cables/chain/cassette/tyres/tubes and fit the seat.

Alloy frames, but both are tough. There are others of exactly the same sort, but these are what came to mind.

Or...find an 80s steel road bike (Repco Olympic/Apollo Concorde as examples) and build it to suit, with modern-ish 8sp, modern Claris flat bar shifters and levers, good calipers and 28mm rubber. Be a nice ride, and should easily come in under budget.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go