Wheel-on vs Wheel-off smart trainers

cjrich

Wheel-on vs Wheel-off smart trainers

Postby cjrich » Mon May 07, 2018 3:29 pm

Hi all. Didn't want to hijack a similar recent thread so started my own.
Been thinking of upgrading my Cyclops Fluid2 for a smart trainer and wanted to ask opinions on wheel-on vs wheel-off trainers. There is significant price difference (eg Elite Direto $1050 vs Wahoo Kickr Snap $750) but for something I'll use 2-3 times a week with Sufferfest I'm just not sure $1050 is justifiable for a wheel-off trainer. The thing that annoys me most about wheel-on trainers is the whole spindown thing. Are there any wheel-on smart trainers that don't require spindown everytime you use them?
Thanks
CJ
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

hamishm

Re: Wheel-on vs Wheel-off smart trainers

Postby hamishm » Mon May 07, 2018 3:57 pm

I had a Tacx Vortex Smart (mid-end wheel-on trainer) for a couple of years. You don't need to do a calibration every time. Just pump it up the same pressure every week or so and don't touch the tightness of the roller against the wheel.

Mind you it may be more difficult if you are taking the bike off to ride it outside in between indoor sessions. I had a dedicated bike on mine.

macca33

Re: Wheel-on vs Wheel-off smart trainers

Postby macca33 » Thu May 10, 2018 1:40 pm

I'd take the wheel-off EVERY time. I have a Kickrv1 and have used the CycleOps Powerbeam Pro as well. I liked the PowerBeam Pro, but always had wheelslip issues, albeit, I only ever used road tyres and not trainer-specific ones.

Whilst wheel-on is decent, the wheel-off is better, as there are never any tyre/drum traction issues.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL