Help please! Need to buy mountain bike for teen learner.

AliGRapp

Help please! Need to buy mountain bike for teen learner.

Postby AliGRapp » Tue May 08, 2018 4:43 pm

My 14 year old son has just signed up for the Mountain Bike Squad at his school but we have no bike and I know nothing about bikes. I was prepared to spend around $1,000 to get a good quality entry level hard tail that will last him a couple of years, and if he loves it we might upgrade it then. I have been to the local bike shop and they have in stock:
Norco Storm 2 $749
Norco Storm 1 $999
Norco Charger 2 $1299
Trek X-Caliber 8 $1399
Which of these would be the pick do you think? Is there any others that we should consider?
Thanks so much!

RonK

Re: Help please! Need to buy mountain bike for teen learner.

Postby RonK » Tue May 08, 2018 5:56 pm

I would pick the one that he likes most.

Unsurprisingly the Charger and X-Caliber have a much better equipment specification and probably won't need upgrading for some time.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue May 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Woof!
I'm not sure of the viability of spending $1k on a new 'maybe' hobby for a young teen.
Not casting aspersions on your teen but having raised two myself and enduring everything from soccer to martial arts to basketball with a side-tour into death metal, I can only suggest a trip down to a Giant store. Maybe the Giant XTC Jr would fit the bill and is significantly more viable $-wise than the Norco bikes. If not the XTC then I'm sure there'd be an option.
Mmm, SunTour

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue May 08, 2018 9:42 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:I can only suggest a trip down to a Giant store. Maybe the Giant XTC Jr would fit the bill ....

NO!!! The XTC Jr is a 24" wheel - at 14 the lad is almost ceratinly too big for it, of if not yet very soon will be. Look at the Talon series; not the cheapest in Giant's range, but more suited to testing out proper MTB use than the lower-grade Boulder or ATX models.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue May 08, 2018 10:20 pm

Duck! wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:I can only suggest a trip down to a Giant store. Maybe the Giant XTC Jr would fit the bill ....

NO!!! The XTC Jr is a 24" wheel - at 14 the lad is almost ceratinly too big for it, of if not yet very soon will be. Look at the Talon series; not the cheapest in Giant's range, but more suited to testing out proper MTB use than the lower-grade Boulder or ATX models.

I was aiming for 24" thinking would be ok for a younger teen, clearly I got my sizing estimates wrong.

Thanks Duck
Mmm, SunTour

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed May 09, 2018 7:29 am

2nd hand. Get a hard tail that someone is selling to upgrade. Find something decent for Around $500 and spend a few coins on servicing.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed May 09, 2018 8:19 am

bychosis wrote:2nd hand. Get a hard tail that someone is selling to upgrade. Find something decent for Around $500 and spend a few coins on servicing.

+1 2nd hand. More bang for your buck, less waste, bought from somewhere like Bicycles for Humanity WA you support a good cause also
http://www.b4hwa.com , donate it back when no longer being used, repeat cycle.
Win, win, win, win, win situation

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed May 09, 2018 9:50 am

Don't forget at 14 there is a good chance there is plenty of growing to do. He may well outgrow it in 12 months so spending less now might save more for a bike he wont grow out of - although getting a drivers licence is a recipe for a lot of kids to 'grow' out of bikes.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu May 10, 2018 1:09 pm

My fourteen year old rides a 27.5 incher and loves it. He can ride my 29er just fine, but prefers his bike. My 11yr old daughter rides a 27.5 and at 32kg, climbs like a champion.

Look - I would trawl ads and go second-hand. Hardtails are the least-loved bikes out there IMHO and there are a huge selection representing great value. At 14 he will be strong enough to ride something a bit heavy & unsophisticated, but if the experiment is a success, you won't have spent big on something that is too slow and uncool.

Otherwise - ask friends if they have a spare bike. Lots of people have a hardtail in the garage and have fallen out of love with it.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu May 10, 2018 1:10 pm

bychosis wrote:... although getting a drivers licence is a recipe for a lot of kids to 'grow' out of bikes.

Or to drive to MTB parks.... :)
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.