Atelier de Velo also closing?

g-boaf

Atelier de Velo also closing?

Postby g-boaf » Thu May 17, 2018 11:08 am

Got an email from Atelier de Velo announcing they were closing down and stock left over would be moved to other stores.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Atelier de Velo also closing?

Postby AUbicycles » Thu May 17, 2018 3:08 pm

It was a busy stretch with Giant Bicycles, City Bike Depot, Clarence Street Cyclery and Atelier de Velo. Would it then be down to Giant and CSC or was there another one inbetween?

Rental prices are a massive overhead in these prime locations with with rent and staff costs - you need a lot of sales and margin just to stay alive - not easy. But I did spot a regular stream of suits who would bring their bikes in after the weekend.
Cycling is in my BNA

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu May 17, 2018 3:30 pm

Yeah, Giant Sydney (near Town Hall) and then Jet Cycles and CSC who are just about next to each other.

I didn't really deal too much with Atelier de Velo. They helped a bit to get some parts when I was building my TT bike but otherwise they were a bit far away.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu May 17, 2018 6:08 pm

I guess that means that Nero Racing will have a bit further to travel for their servicing needs. Might see more of them out a Dural, or they might head out to Mosman instead.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri May 18, 2018 3:14 pm

There are other shops and I hear some of the staff are moving across to the other stores.

They are really clearing things out, I scored a helmet at okay price.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri May 18, 2018 3:24 pm

g-boaf wrote:There are other shops and I hear some of the staff are moving across to the other stores.

They are really clearing things out, I scored a helmet at okay price.
I am assuming that means either Bike Establishment or Le Spit Cyclerly
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri May 18, 2018 3:49 pm

SOLA received an attractive offer from its new landlord following the sale of the building in late 2017 and has taken the decision to consolidate its retail trading to the two closest retail stores, being Le Spit Cycles in Mosman on the lower North Shore and Cheeky Velosport in Randwick in Eastern Sydney.

The CEO of SOLA Sport, George Nisbet had this to say about the news:

“What an incredible five years it has been having had the opportunity to own our first retail store and use it as the learning curve to learn about bicycle retail, become better equipped to understand the consumers who buy our products, get closer to our supplier partners in our industry and learn the commercial side of retail that has allowed us the opportunity to grow to four stores in five years! We have another two stores in very close proximity to Atelier de Velo and with the option to move the business to these other stores which are not far away, it became an easy decision once we evaluated the landlord’s offer.
We are keeping and transferring all of our staff to Le Spit Cycles over the next month.
source: Bicycling Trade
Cycling is in my BNA

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri May 18, 2018 5:45 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
SOLA received an attractive offer from its new landlord following the sale of the building in late 2017 and has taken the decision to consolidate its retail trading to the two closest retail stores, being Le Spit Cycles in Mosman on the lower North Shore and Cheeky Velosport in Randwick in Eastern Sydney.

The CEO of SOLA Sport, George Nisbet had this to say about the news:

“What an incredible five years it has been having had the opportunity to own our first retail store and use it as the learning curve to learn about bicycle retail, become better equipped to understand the consumers who buy our products, get closer to our supplier partners in our industry and learn the commercial side of retail that has allowed us the opportunity to grow to four stores in five years! We have another two stores in very close proximity to Atelier de Velo and with the option to move the business to these other stores which are not far away, it became an easy decision once we evaluated the landlord’s offer.
We are keeping and transferring all of our staff to Le Spit Cycles over the next month.
source: Bicycling Trade
Ah yes, I forgot they had the one in Randwick as well. That'll keep Nero happy :-)

alrsv1

Atelier de Velo in Sydney closing down

Postby alrsv1 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:24 pm

They close at the end of May apparently, closing down sale on now if anyone's interested.
Clarence Street, Sydney. Don't know any other details i.e. why etc.
1997 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Frezoni MAX,
1992 Cannondale M2000, 201Pivot Mach5.5.

find_bruce

Re: Atelier de Velo in Sydney closing down

Postby find_bruce » Wed May 23, 2018 1:29 pm

alrsv1 wrote:They close at the end of May apparently, closing down sale on now if anyone's interested.
Clarence Street, Sydney. Don't know any other details i.e. why etc.
I moved your post to the existing thread