Sending new item overseas for repair - is GST payable on return

uad782

Sending new item overseas for repair - is GST payable on return

Postby uad782 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:58 pm

Hi everyone,

I have lucked out on my new Lynskey bike and must send it back for fixing before I have even set it up. I bought the bike in Feb this year and got slugged GST for it.

How do I avoid paying GST on the return journey when they post it back?

Thanks

RonK

Re: Sending new item overseas for repair - is GST payable on return

Postby RonK » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:05 pm

I have had this problem and it was a huge drama getting it resolved.
You must make sure when it is returned that the sender clearly states on the customs declaration that it is a warranty repair part, and it is accompanied with a no charge invoice.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:16 pm

Correct - same when I've had my SRM in NZ for battery - they MUST state warranty repair on the declaration form.
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:58 pm

uad782 wrote:Hi everyone,

I have lucked out on my new Lynskey bike and must send it back for fixing before I have even set it up. I bought the bike in Feb this year and got slugged GST for it.

How do I avoid paying GST on the return journey when they post it back?

Thanks
I sent my Lynskey back to the USA last year for repair. You need to ensure you do the paperwork properly, and most importantly for the sending part so that when it gets to the USA, you don't get charged duty for importing it to the USA.

There is a special Tariff code for goods made in the USA that are being returned for Warranty. Likewise, when the goods are returned to you from the USA, they will be sent back as goods being returned after Warranty repair, and you won't get charged GST again.

Use code HTSUS 9801.00.10 (U.S. Goods Returned) along with the appropriate declaration form

Keep all your paperwork showing that you sent it from Australia, ensuring you have all your consignment numbers etc, so in the unlikely event you get questioned when it comes back, you have paperwork to show no GST or import duty is payable.

I had Pack and Send prepare all the Customs Paperwork for me (I did all the research to ensure we used the correct process, and Lynskey confirmed from their end that when they sent it back, it would come back as a Warranty Repair). It cost me $475 to send it over there, but on the up side, I was not charged anything by Lynskey for the repair or the return shipping. I shopped around as best I could, but $475 was the cheapest I could get. It ended up going DHL Express, but at better rates than I was able to get direct from DHL.

I can show you scans of all my paperwork if it helps. Drop me a pm.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

uad782

Postby uad782 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:29 pm

Thanks everyone

I contacted customs today who said i may still have to pay the $90processing fee

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:52 pm

uad782 wrote:Thanks everyone

I contacted customs today who said i may still have to pay the $90processing fee
That is ways possible. My frame came through customs without any cost at all, so it might be the luck of the draw. If the documentation is done correctly, they should quickly assess it as a $0 item and it will just go straight through.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi