Another 'recommend me a bike' thread

Rorschach

Another 'recommend me a bike' thread

Postby Rorschach » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:53 pm

Hi All

Apologies for another recommend me a bike thread, but you guys seem like a nice bunch and have dished out some top info in the past.
I've done ~2500kms on my 2014 Giant Defy (2000 of those in the last year) and would like to upgrade to something a bit newer.
I live in Perth and spend most of my time on fairly flat roads up and down the freeway with the occasional dalliance in the hills, and would like my next bike to have endurance geometry due to an old back injury. Generally ride ~50km at a time, but am upping that with a view to a metric towards the end of the year and the 3 dams ride next March.

The issue is, I can't find anything I like the look of, and I'm a bit of an aesthetics snob.
I have been looking at carbon, ally and steel bikes, but have no preference either way.
I was first interested in the Canyon Endurace SL range, but am a bit put off I can't ride one before I buy.
Cannondale CAAD bikes interest me, but they might be a bit racey for me.
I like the look of the Spesh Tarmac SL6s, but they might be a bit racey too. Don't mind the Roubaix, but they seem pricey for what they are.
Curve and Flanders builds look good, but again can't try locally.

Pretty much my only must-have requirements are hydro discs, a decent groupset (Ultegra equivalent, although the new 105 gruppo looks quite good) and relaxed geometry.
My budget is going to be between $3500-4000, and while I'm not looking to buy for a couple of months I do want to get my research done!

Cheers!

TheWall

Re: Another 'recommend me a bike' thread

Postby TheWall » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:47 pm

I have both Tarmac and Roubaix. Don't but the Tarmac...very 'racy' in comparison. Roubaix is just a great bike and in most cases I prefer riding mine over the Tarmac (specially-pun intended-the hilly rides). Sales pop up for them (I got mine in 25% off sale) which may solve the value equation.

I like the look of the Focus range too and they seem to be good value but not sure which is the Endurance set up,

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:51 pm

TheWall wrote:I have both Tarmac and Roubaix. Don't but the Tarmac...very 'racy' in comparison. Roubaix is just a great bike and in most cases I prefer riding mine over the Tarmac (specially-pun intended-the hilly rides). Sales pop up for them (I got mine in 25% off sale) which may solve the value equation.

I like the look of the Focus range too and they seem to be good value but not sure which is the Endurance set up,
Cheers for that. I was wondering if it's worth looking at the Tarmac with some of Spesh's hover bars, or whether that'd be silly.
The Roubaix (and the Domane) were the first ones I looked at, but they value wasn't there for me after seeing some of the Canyon stuff - an extra $1000 for the same spec is a bit much!

I had a nosey at the Focus Paralane, but it didn't review as well as some of the others I saw. Will go back for another look.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:23 pm

What's wrong with the bike you have?
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:35 pm

Duck! wrote:What's wrong with the bike you have?
Honestly, I've had it fitted a couple of times and just can't get it right. I've changed a few things but I don't feel 100% comfortable on it. It's been fitted properly by a bike shop (twice) and a physio and doesn't feel quite right. I still rack up kms on it, but always end up with something sore, and not sure why.
I'm planning on narrowing it down and test riding more than round a couple of times in the car park, and going and seeing someone with a Retul before I buy to make sure I'm right on frame size.

I also suppose I'm in more of a position to know what I want in a bike, so why not?

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:52 am

Duck! wrote:What's wrong with the bike you have?
I was thinking exactly this. Assuming it's probably 105, you could always give it a freshen up instead of spending large currency for no real gain. I'd get some custom wheels made up that suit you and your riding environment, squeeze some good rubber on there and revel in the new feel.

Failing that, buy a Kona Roadhouse. Reynolds steel, discs, Ultegra, endurance geometry, sexy good looks (I think)...
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:00 am

Sorry about being blunt but 200km's a year isn't much.
If you aren't comfortable on a custom-fit Defy I doubt you'll be comfortable on anything. You're getting sore because you aren't (bike) fit. It's unlikely to be a problem with the bike.
You need more time on the bike. Instead of one 50km ride once a week do 3-6 short rides every week. Build up the mileage slowly but maintain the frequency.
Your body will adapt to the bike and miles better with regular riding.
Having said that by all means go out and buy a new bike. I think Giant are releasing a new Defy frame configuration some time soon.
Worth waiting for.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:58 am

Tim wrote:Sorry about being blunt but 200km's a year isn't much.
2000kms in the last year, which OK isn't all that much, given where I started from I think is a big deal. The distance and frequency of rides has increased quite a bit though in that time
Tim wrote:If you aren't comfortable on a custom-fit Defy I doubt you'll be comfortable on anything. You're getting sore because you aren't (bike) fit. It's unlikely to be a problem with the bike.
You need more time on the bike. Instead of one 50km ride once a week do 3-6 short rides every week. Build up the mileage slowly but maintain the frequency.
Your body will adapt to the bike and miles better with regular riding.
This I don't disagree with.
Unfortunately, getting out to ride is easier said than done at the minute trying to juggle a full time job and Uni.
Half of my reasoning was to look at getting a trainer and using my current bike for that.

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:25 pm

Rorschach wrote:The distance and frequency of rides has increased quite a bit though in that time
You're doing well. :D
Anything is better than nothing. Keep it up.
At this stage don't get too concerned about speed and distance. Time on bike and frequency are the key factors.
Go easy, early aerobic fitness increases best with regular high cadence (80-120RPM) low geared riding. Don't grind away in hard gears at low cadence. High paced spinning as often as possible.
Rorschach wrote:Unfortunately, getting out to ride is easier said than done at the minute trying to juggle a full time job and Uni.
Can you commute by bike to work or Uni?
Rorschach wrote:Half of my reasoning was to look at getting a trainer and using my current bike for that.
Smart trainers are good if you can handle the monotony. I have a Cycleops Hammer (not cheap) and whilst apps like Zwift help pass time quicker than on a dumb trainer I still find riding indoors a little tiresome. Once a week is enough for me, give me the great outdoors any time.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:35 pm

Tim wrote:
Rorschach wrote:The distance and frequency of rides has increased quite a bit though in that time
You're doing well. :D
Anything is better than nothing. Keep it up.
At this stage don't get too concerned about speed and distance. Time on bike and frequency are the key factors.
Go easy, early aerobic fitness increases best with regular high cadence (80-120RPM) low geared riding. Don't grind away in hard gears at low cadence. High paced spinning as often as possible.
Was grinding away in high gears in ignorance, have recently changed to cadence riding.
Distance-wise, only did my first 50km ride at the end of last year, wanting to build up to do a 100km by the end of this.
Tim wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Unfortunately, getting out to ride is easier said than done at the minute trying to juggle a full time job and Uni.
Can you commute by bike to work or Uni?
Work theoretically, however the roads are terrible, not very wide and on the way to a large industrial area so lots of large trucks. There is a longer way round I've been looking at giving a go once Uni semester finishes in a couple of weeks. Don't really have the kit for cold weather, so going to invest over the next little while.
Uni I'm studying online, so coming home and staring at a computer screen. Boring as hell and not good for keeping me moving!
Tim wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Half of my reasoning was to look at getting a trainer and using my current bike for that.
Smart trainers are good if you can handle the monotony. I have a Cycleops Hammer (not cheap) and whilst apps like Zwift help pass time quicker than on a dumb trainer I still find riding indoors a little tiresome. Once a week is enough for me, give me the great outdoors any time.
Same, however something is better than nothing. Tried cycling at the gym, boring as hell but at least the legs are moving.

owly

Postby owly » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:06 pm

Have you been into Glen Parker for a look?
MUFC :twisted:

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:16 pm

owly wrote:Have you been into Glen Parker for a look?
Not physically, only had a look online.
Weekends taken up by study at the minute. It's on my list to go and have a look though

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:41 am

I ride a 2013 Defy Composite and I too was looking to upgrade to a newer bike but to be honest therr wasn't a whole lot out there that was worth the $3k-$4k jump in price.

I then considered upgrading bits on the bike but decided against that also.

I figured, I'd ride it for a few more years and then upgrade to something considerably better maybe a Defy SL/TCR SL with integrated seatpost.

I ended up buying a gravel bike (Giant Toughroad SLR GX0 - I posted a review) which was completely left field and unexpected but has been the best purchase and really complimented the Defy.

I suggest ride the guts out of your current Defy to improve your cycling fitness as mentioned earlier because I too used to get sore but mot any longer.

Then down the road look at a new bike.

If your wallet is really burning a hole in your pocket and you want to buy new, then the current crop of Defy bikes are one of the best endurance bikes available.

I'd play around with the current bike and use it as a guinea pig to perfect your bike fit. Once youget that right then you can save the measurements to use on your next purchase. Otherwise youare taking a gamble on a new bike, an expensive gamble

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:44 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:I ride a 2013 Defy Composite and I too was looking to upgrade to a newer bike but to be honest therr wasn't a whole lot out there that was worth the $3k-$4k jump in price.

I then considered upgrading bits on the bike but decided against that also.

I figured, I'd ride it for a few more years and then upgrade to something considerably better maybe a Defy SL/TCR SL with integrated seatpost.

I ended up buying a gravel bike (Giant Toughroad SLR GX0 - I posted a review) which was completely left field and unexpected but has been the best purchase and really complimented the Defy.

I suggest ride the guts out of your current Defy to improve your cycling fitness as mentioned earlier because I too used to get sore but mot any longer.

Then down the road look at a new bike.

If your wallet is really burning a hole in your pocket and you want to buy new, then the current crop of Defy bikes are one of the best endurance bikes available.

I'd play around with the current bike and use it as a guinea pig to perfect your bike fit. Once youget that right then you can save the measurements to use on your next purchase. Otherwise youare taking a gamble on a new bike, an expensive gamble
The gravel bike suggestion is one I've been looking into already, something about the single chainring interests me, so not ruling out the second left field suggestion and keeping the current one and tweaking it.

I've had a think about the comments above about the current one and they're all valid. No, I'm not fit enough and need to ride more before i can justify things.
I suppose I'm trying to talk myself into a new bike when the current one is fine. Maybe at the end of the year I'll revisit once I've done what I needed to do and have a rethink.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:20 pm

Rorschach wrote:Hi All

Apologies for another recommend me a bike thread, but you guys seem like a nice bunch and have dished out some top info in the past.
I've done ~2500kms on my 2014 Giant Defy (2000 of those in the last year) and would like to upgrade to something a bit newer.
I live in Perth and spend most of my time on fairly flat roads up and down the freeway with the occasional dalliance in the hills, and would like my next bike to have endurance geometry due to an old back injury. Generally ride ~50km at a time, but am upping that with a view to a metric towards the end of the year and the 3 dams ride next March.
Everyone warns you about the first climb for the 3 Dams, but I found it okay as you've been warming up for 40km on the flat, so that first climb is sharp but short.
What nobody told me about was the brutal 2 climbs to finish, right in the last 10km. But if super skinny not-that-fit me can do the 3 Dams, I reckon most reasonably competent riders can too. I saw all ages, weight ranges, fitness levels and both genders on the ride and it was brilliant seeing everything from the superfast speed demon teams to 60+ year old overweight ladies happily spinning away, as well as a father and ~12 year old daughter on a tandem etc. Great event, you'll love it :)
Pretty much my only must-have requirements are hydro discs, a decent groupset (Ultegra equivalent, although the new 105 gruppo looks quite good) and relaxed geometry.
My budget is going to be between $3500-4000, and while I'm not looking to buy for a couple of months I do want to get my research done!

Cheers!
That's a healthy budget. If you keep the Defy, splash out on some custom wheels from a local builder (Meldo Wheels in WA, TWE over east?) that get universally positive reviews and good prices too. The stock wheels on my Giant road bike were really heavy and new wheels have transformed the bike totally in the hills.

What about the Trek Domane S5/SL5? In budget, hydro disc brakes, comfy IsoSpeed Decouplers, compact 50-34 and 11-32 so perfect for hills. It is 105 though.

You might be able to get an SL6 Disc ($4200rrp) on sale or bargain someone down. Ultegra with 50-34 and 11-32.

Just found this Aussie bike lineup of endurance bikes under $3500 so maybe check the next model up of the following:
https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/blog/be ... bikes-3500

Trek Domane SL5
Giant Defy Advanced 2
Specialized Roubaix Elite
Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1
Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105
Bianchi Intenso 105
Focus Paralane 105
Merida Scultura 6000
Last edited by Mububban on Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:07 pm

Rorschach wrote:Work theoretically, however the roads are terrible, not very wide and on the way to a large industrial area so lots of large trucks. There is a longer way round I've been looking at giving a go once Uni semester finishes in a couple of weeks. Don't really have the kit for cold weather, so going to invest over the next little while.
I used to work down in that area: the key to finding good routes is to stop thinking like a MV driver. There's lots of no-through roads which you can get through on a bike (via footpath) and a reasonable (if not great) number of bike paths. Linking these up via back roads (rather than main roads) can make all the difference. Yes, there's a quantity of crap on the roads thereabouts due to the industrial nature so I recommend you pack a spare foldable tyre (and pump, not CO2))

Plenty of threads on cold weather kit: main question is whether you can get a hot shower at work.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:33 pm

Mububban wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Hi All

Everyone warns you about the first climb for the 3 Dams, but I found it okay as you've been warming up for 40km on the flat, so that first climb is sharp but short.
What nobody told me about was the brutal 2 climbs to finish, right int he last 10km. But if super skinny not-that-fit me can do the 3 Dams, I reckon most reasonably competent riders can too. I passed all ages, weight ranges, fitness levels and both genders on the ride and it was brilliant seeing everything from the superfast speed demon teams to 60+ year old overweight ladies happily spinning away, as well as a father and ~12 year old daughter on a tandem etc. Great event, you'll love it :)
Cheers. Got 9 months to get sorted for it. A couple of guys at work are keen riders so looking at tagging in with them a bit more.
Mububban wrote:

Cheers!
That's a healthy budget. If you keep the Defy, splash out on some custom wheels from a local builder (Meldo Wheels in WA, TWE over east?) that get universally positive reviews and good prices too. The stock wheels on my Giant road bike were really heavy and new wheels have transformed the bike totally in the hills.

What about the Trek Domane S5/SL5? In budget, hydro disc brakes, comfy IsoSpeed Decouplers, compact 50-34 and 11-32 so perfect for hills. It is 105 though.

You might be able to get an SL6 Disc ($4200rrp) on sale or bargain someone down. Ultegra with 50-34 and 11-32.

Just found this Aussie bike lineup of enduracne bikes under $3500 so maybe check the next model up of the following:
https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/blog/be ... bikes-3500

Trek Domane SL5
Giant Defy Advanced 2
Specialized Roubaix Elite
Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1
Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105
Bianchi Intenso 105
Focus Paralane 105
Merida Scultura 6000
I've seen that article, there are a few bikes on there that interest me so will look to do the rounds at the time. Have also been looking at some of the alloy bikes around that sort of price, like the Canyon Endurace AL 8.0, which is good value at $2600+shipping etc. and only weighs a kilo more than the CF SL 8.0 for a grand less, and maybe the Cannondale CAAD12 Ultegra which'll also leave me with some change.
Also wouldn't mind seeing what bikes come out with the new 105. Could be a good way to save some more dollars rather than targeting Ultegra.
Thoglette wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Work theoretically, however the roads are terrible, not very wide and on the way to a large industrial area so lots of large trucks. There is a longer way round I've been looking at giving a go once Uni semester finishes in a couple of weeks. Don't really have the kit for cold weather, so going to invest over the next little while.
I used to work down in that area: the key to finding good routes is to stop thinking like a MV driver. There's lots of no-through roads which you can get through on a bike (via footpath) and a reasonable (if not great) number of bike paths. Linking these up via back roads (rather than main roads) can make all the difference. Yes, there's a quantity of crap on the roads thereabouts due to the industrial nature so I recommend you pack a spare foldable tyre (and pump, not CO2))

Plenty of threads on cold weather kit: main question is whether you can get a hot shower at work.
I was more thinking of doing the Freeway path. It's about 12km longer, but much safer, and I can jump on the train at Kwinana if the weather turns bad and ride home from Cockburn.

Cold weather I think I'm OK with. Rode at the weekend with a tshirt on under my bibs and leg/arm warmers and was OK. Hot shower at work as well, so just need to sort myself out and do it I guess!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:20 pm

If I had my time again, and your budget, I'd look very closely at the Canyon Endurace range, probably the CF 8.0. Decent weight (1kg lighter than my alloy Giant Contend), rave reviews, Ultegra, discs, and under $3000 including postage, leaving money for a sweet wheel upgrade if you don't like the stock wheels.

Isn't that Cannondale CAAD range a racy geometry? Cracking bikes apparently.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:42 pm

Mububban wrote:If I had my time again, and your budget, I'd look very closely at the Canyon Endurace range, probably the CF 8.0. Decent weight (1kg lighter than my alloy Giant Contend), rave reviews, Ultegra, discs, and under $3000 including postage, leaving money for a sweet wheel upgrade if you don't like the stock wheels.

Isn't that Cannondale CAAD range a racy geometry? Cracking bikes apparently.
The Endurace has been what I've been eyeing up most closely. Really good value if you can hack buying something unseen.

CAAD is supposed to be racy, but again looks decent value. There's a Cannondale dealer down the road I'll hit up and see if I can test ride one, and also hit up the local Specialized dealer and give the Roubaix and Tarmacs a whirl

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:03 am

A guy I ride with is maybe 50, pretty fit, he loves his carbon Cannondale Synapse. Ultegra, discs, endurance geometry. Nice bike, but I don't think anyboy sells rubbish bikes nowadays, it's just what feels good to the individual I suppose.

I'm quite happy I bought my first road bike from a bricks and mortar store, I think I'd happily buy online nowadays but test riding first is still good.