New wide 700c Tyre Advice please: Continental 4 seasons vs Specialized Roubaix Pro vs Schwable G-One Speed

TheDotProd

New wide 700c Tyre Advice please: Continental 4 seasons vs Specialized Roubaix Pro vs Schwable G-One Speed

Postby TheDotProd » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:24 am

Hi

My tyres are wearing down and I'm thinking about picking up a new pair of new tyres for my commute.
I value cornering grip in the wet more than long life, followed by weight and durability.

I think I have narrowed my search down to three tyres:

1./ Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons in 32mm (Often found for $50 on sale, $89 at LBS)
2./ Specialized Roubaix Pro in 30/32mm (some oddball specialized sizing) ($60 from Specialized)
3./ Schwable G-One Speed in 35mm (Can get for around $50-$60 online, around $100 LBS)

I currently have the Schwable G-One All Around and they are pretty good, but I don't feel they are as grippy on wet tarmac as they could be. I don't ride gravel, so are looking for a tyre better focused on asphalt and pavement.

The last two tyres I could run tubeless, but I'm not sure its worth the hassle ATM.
From what I read Specialized poached the top guys from Continental, and the Specialized tyres are now using better compounds than Continental, but as they label all their compounds as Gripton, I really don't know if the team has updated the Roubaix Pro to the same levels of the other tyres in the Specialized range.

Anyone have any experience with these tyres especially in the wet?

DJIntegr8

Re: New wide 700c Tyre Advice please: Continental 4 seasons vs Specialized Roubaix Pro vs Schwable G-One Speed

Postby DJIntegr8 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:53 pm

I had the Specialized Roubaix Pro in 25/28c - did some fairly rough gravel rides, a bit of city commuting but mainly out in the suburbs. I'm not one to push it in the rain, but felt really confident running around 70psi most of the time. Only had one puncture from a huge framing nail after 10,000kms and decided to replace. I would have replaced with the 30/32c but wanted to try some other tyres.

Currently running Conti GP4000SII in 28c (measures about 31mm), maybe a touch more grip but the softer tread seems to get cut up more. Punctured once so far, will keep score. Have not tried the GP 4 Seasons, but I assume it would be better in the wet with cold weather rubber compound plus more puncture protection.

Another tyre I've commuted on is the Vittoria Rubino Pro 3s (not the G+) but they're a bit narrow - the 28c measures 27.5mm. But I've run these on heaps of bikes and the wet grip is decent (despite the internet reviews) and really durable. Might try the new Rubino Pro Control G+ next time around..

Brendan

Noviss

Re: New wide 700c Tyre Advice please: Continental 4 seasons vs Specialized Roubaix Pro vs Schwable G-One Speed

Postby Noviss » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:20 pm

I run 25mm 4Seasons on my commuter bike. So far I have had one puncture in eight months (3,000 -4,000 kms). I find the grip better than the GP4000SII which I run on my weekend ride bike. They also don't cut up from road rubbish like the GP4000SII seem to. I tend not to ride too much in the rain but when I have been caught out I have always felt reasonably confident with the grip levels. I also find the rolling feel of the 4seasons similar to the GP4000SII.

TheDotProd

Postby TheDotProd » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks all I've picked a pair of 32mm 4 seasons for $55 each from pro bike kit.

Can't wait to try them out once they arrive :-)

TheDotProd

Postby TheDotProd » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:49 am

Put the 4 seasons on and they seem pretty darn great, it was mostly dry on my first ride, but in corners where I would often skid a little, I seemed to be able to bleed speed a little more effectively before entering a corner.
Felt smoother on smooth roads, but definitely didn't absorb bumps as well as the 35mm G-One.

The 4 seasons are much smaller than the G-Ones, more so than the 32->35mm would imply. The G-Ones really ballooned over my rims and were very wide and deep overall seeming to hold much more air. The 4 seasons don't balloon over the rims, but are vertically less deep too. I'm going to be able to move my mudguard closer to the tyre by a good 1 -> 1.5cm.

The G-One on the rear wheel lost its center tread and had a few cuts (none penetrated the fabric casing) in them after a little over 1000Km of commuting from the burbs to the city on mostly asphalt road and trail.
Fingers crossed I get a little more life and performance from these ones :-)