Grommet to plug Di2 hole

uad782

Grommet to plug Di2 hole

Postby uad782 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I was after a grommet to plug a Di 2 hole. I am not using Di2 so I don't want the Shimano pass through grommets. I was after something like this but they want $25 for postage.

https://planetcyclery.com/shimano-down- ... ommet-plug

Can someone point me in the direction of a cheap local one.

Thanks

Duck!
Expert

Re: Grommet to plug Di2 hole

Postby Duck! » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:11 pm

Do the apparently unthinkable & visit your LBS.... They probably have a stash of grommets & plugs.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:29 pm

Or maybe you have some silicone sealant in the shed. Perfect fit every time :P

tez001

Postby tez001 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Clark Rubber will probably have something suitable

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:31 am

supercheap auto (or other) have these in various sizes

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Produc ... Pack/17413

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:15 pm

ok .. so i found myself changing the groupset on my spare bike from 10spd di2 back to mechanical 10-spd ultegra 6700. (long story, but in a few words - destroyed hard-to-find 10-speed di2 rear derailleur, not willing to spend $$$ for obsoleted part but have spare 10-speed 6700 shifter and RD in my collection of old parts).
it was going to be a straight-forward swop until i realised i needed one additional internal cable routing grommet. ho hum.
not only that, it should've been obvious long ago, but i only just noticed that the cable diameter between mech vs di2 shifter cable is quite different. i.e. grommet for di2 cable will not fit the fatter mech shift cable.

so i made a trip to the LBS that carried CUBE and was told to bring the sample grommet cos apparently it is unique to a brand. wow. argh.

anyway .. looks like i'll be making a trip soon to supercheap to get the blanking grommets. (should've done the "Search" on this site before making the trip to the LBS .. )

am i right to think that the tiny grommet is similar to the derailleur hanger in its "uniqueness"?
i.e. unique to a model and a brand?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:05 pm

caneye wrote:ok .. so i found myself changing the groupset on my spare bike from 10spd di2 back to mechanical 10-spd ultegra 6700. (long story, but in a few words - destroyed hard-to-find 10-speed di2 rear derailleur, not willing to spend $$$ for obsoleted part but have spare 10-speed 6700 shifter and RD in my collection of old parts).
it was going to be a straight-forward swop until i realised i needed one additional internal cable routing grommet. ho hum.
not only that, it should've been obvious long ago, but i only just noticed that the cable diameter between mech vs di2 shifter cable is quite different. i.e. grommet for di2 cable will not fit the fatter mech shift cable.

so i made a trip to the LBS that carried CUBE and was told to bring the sample grommet cos apparently it is unique to a brand. wow. argh.

anyway .. looks like i'll be making a trip soon to supercheap to get the blanking grommets. (should've done the "Search" on this site before making the trip to the LBS .. )

am i right to think that the tiny grommet is similar to the derailleur hanger in its "uniqueness"?
i.e. unique to a model and a brand?
They are usually somewhat specific depending on where they fit. I’ve found that Supercheap ones don’t fit on the Giant TCR Advanced SL frames. All too large.

The ones listed at the start of this topic will work usually.

Do you want a 10 speed Ultegra Di2 rear derailleur? Send me a message and we can work out something. I have one that still works. It’s got some scratches on it, but should work fine. I don’t need it anymore.