Just paid for cassette and new chain at LBS, mate told me about online shop..big savings.

looseleftie

Just paid for cassette and new chain at LBS, mate told me about online shop..big savings.

Postby looseleftie » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:40 pm

Hi all,

Quick one as would love other thoughts on subject here.
I very recently bought a new cassette and chain at LBS, around $210 for both, mate at work suggested I look at Chain reaction online shop.. Works at I could have got it for $77 inc shipping.. That's quite a difference..

Want to support LBS in my area, however the difference between them and Chain reaction is quite significant.. When do u finally go decide to shop online for most things, (with the exception being servicing and physical repairs on bike)...

Love all thoughts here.
Cheers

MattyK

Re: Just paid for cassette and new chain at LBS, mate told me about online shop..big savings.

Postby MattyK » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:12 am

when? the moment I discovered pricing like you said.

Servicing can be done yourself too; youtube, park tool, and buy tools online.

bychosis

Re: Just paid for cassette and new chain at LBS, mate told me about online shop..big savings.

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:23 am

I’m surprised you’ve been a member here since 2014 and have only just found this out. I don’t think I’ve bought more than half a dozen items in a bike shop in over 10 years despite spending thousands on parts.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:32 am

And it’s not just on bike stuff where there are savings to be made. Instead of getting a fridge from Harvey Norman, check out the online shops.

For bike stuff, there are a lot of Australian shops with competitive pricing as well.

Bike shops have different overheads than online shops and on parts and accessories they have the biggest margins. What the do offer (usually) is the service and the right gear ... so any mistake is their responsibility to resolve.

Bike shops are redefining themself so are shifting more to focus of service.
Cycling is in my BNA

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:04 am

Harvey Norman aka wrestling name " The Nemesis".
Recently saw a tool recommened by RJ the Bike Guy. Followed the link to Amazon, price about USD40, started to transact, no longer able to do so due to The Nemesis pushing GST on items below $1000 & that being too much of PITA for Amazon.
So checked Amazon Oz, the price about AUD200. Tool not available in an LBS or any other local store.

Neddysmith

Postby Neddysmith » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:22 am

twowheels wrote:Harvey Norman aka wrestling name " The Nemesis".
Recently saw a tool recommened by RJ the Bike Guy. Followed the link to Amazon, price about USD40, started to transact, no longer able to do so due to The Nemesis pushing GST on items below $1000 & that being too much of PITA for Amazon.
So checked Amazon Oz, the price about AUD200. Tool not available in an LBS or any other local store.
couch**Dropshippers **cough

looseleftie

Postby looseleftie » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:50 am

Thank you everybody who has contributed here thus far, sincerely appreciated.

I have known about online, I do from time to time a little shopping on Aliexpress (mainly clothing/lights and other misc stuff), however I like to use local bike shops as they are convenient, but it's also good for their business.. In short, it is mutually beneficial for the most part.. However after looking into it, I can't help but feel a bit miffed on whether I should continue in support of a LBS in future..

Maybe learn to do a few more things mechanically myself, shop online, and then use LBS for urgent repairs or for tubes/tyres. Seems like a plan for me.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:13 pm

looseleftie wrote:Thank you everybody who has contributed here thus far, sincerely appreciated.

I have known about online, I do from time to time a little shopping on Aliexpress (mainly clothing/lights and other misc stuff), however I like to use local bike shops as they are convenient, but it's also good for their business.. In short, it is mutually beneficial for the most part.. However after looking into it, I can't help but feel a bit miffed on whether I should continue in support of a LBS in future..

Maybe learn to do a few more things mechanically myself, shop online, and then use LBS for urgent repairs or for tubes/tyres. Seems like a plan for me.
Actually, tubes and tyres are one of the areas where I find the most savings, online vs LBS.
Example, a Vittoria Rubino is $30 online, and between $45 and $57 in-store depending on the store. A Schwalbe sv15 tube is $7 online and have seen for between $12-$16 in-store.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:24 pm

looseleftie wrote:I like to use local bike shops as they are convenient, but it's also good for their business.. In short, it is mutually beneficial for the most part.. However after looking into it, I can't help but feel a bit miffed on whether I should continue in support of a LBS in future.
In return for your loyalty to local suppliers, you get screwed. I guess the threshold where you decide to take your business online depends on your tolerance.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:45 pm

:shock: Wow, I didn`t know of the big savings in online stores??????

Err, my mistake as I`ve bought a lot of items when it was on sale or on discounts. Bought it 4 years ago for my 4 bikes.

:D
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:10 pm

:shock:

I keep some parts in stock (like tyres) when the prices are good, but that's nuts !!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:26 pm

Bunged Knee wrote::shock: Wow, I didn`t know of the big savings in online stores??????

Err, my mistake as I`ve bought a lot of items when it was on sale or on discounts. Bought it 4 years ago for my 4 bikes.

:D
envy (ĕnˈvē)

n. A feeling of discontent and resentment aroused by and in conjunction with desire for the possessions or qualities of another.

Except for the Conti tubes....you can keep those.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:57 pm

RonK wrote:
looseleftie wrote:I like to use local bike shops as they are convenient, but it's also good for their business.. In short, it is mutually beneficial for the most part.. However after looking into it, I can't help but feel a bit miffed on whether I should continue in support of a LBS in future.
In return for your loyalty to local suppliers, you get screwed. I guess the threshold where you decide to take your business online depends on your tolerance.
Would you rather your LBS run at a loss and not be there at all? :roll:
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:31 pm

AUbicycles wrote:And it’s not just on bike stuff where there are savings to be made. Instead of getting a fridge from Harvey Norman, check out the online shops.
Man....you're really not happy about that GST bizzo aye? :lol:

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:33 pm

Duck! wrote:
RonK wrote:
Would you rather your LBS run at a loss and not be there at all? :roll:
Most of us realise that the retailer is not ultimately responsible for the pricing. Of course we would like our lbs to be a thriving and successful operation.

But we also want to pay a fair price the things we buy. And we know that little of what we are asked to pay actually contributes to the retailers success anyway.

For all of us there comes a point where we will choose to put our own self-interest first.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:10 pm

The underlying fact is that, for a variety of reasons, parts cost more here than elsewhere. Heck, I've bought stuff from online because it's been cheaper than I could get through my own workplace! Which leaves the second part of your "getting screwed" comment, insinuataing that my, or any other mechaniscs' time is not of much value.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:47 pm

Duck! wrote:The underlying fact is that, for a variety of reasons, parts cost more here than elsewhere. Heck, I've bought stuff from online because it's been cheaper than I could get through my own workplace! Which leaves the second part of your "getting screwed" comment, insinuataing that my, or any other mechaniscs' time is not of much value.
Nope - it should be pretty obvious that this discussion is about goods which can be purchased online. There has been no mention or insinuation about labour or service costs.

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:28 pm

I dropped into my LBS today to get him to replace a rear derailleur cable. I might have been able to do it myself but I can't be bothered to be honest. While I was there I picked up a new helmet. He charged me $110 for the lot. Can't see how he made any money out of that transaction to be honest.

I buy tubes, chains, disc pads etc from him. Tyres I get online because he doesn't stock what I use, but if he did I'd be happy to pay a bit more for them. I've also bought nicks, gloves, glasses and other clothing items from him, although I could get them cheaper online.

I suppose if you do all your own servicing etc then you probably don't need an LBS. I like having him there so I'm happy to support him. He freely admits that he can't buy parts from his wholesaler as cheap as you can get them online and is willing to let customers source their own bits and just charge them for the labour. I usually don't bother though. He probably makes nothing on the parts anyway.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:52 pm

twowheels wrote: Followed the link to Amazon, price about USD40, started to transact, no longer able to do so due to The Nemesis pushing GST on items below $1000 & that being too much of PITA for Amazon.
Amazon AU isn't really worth looking at unless there is an actual good sale published on OzBargain or similar.
Most of the pricing is just terrible.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:10 pm

looseleftie wrote:.
I very recently bought a new cassette and chain at LBS, around $210 for both, mate at work suggested I look at Chain reaction online shop.. Works at I could have got it for $77 inc shipping.. That's quite a difference..
That's a huge markup, are you sure the price was just for the parts? Fitment cost isn't in that?
Same grade parts and didn't include front chainrings or some other bits also fixed?

Online is heaps cheaper and the sad thing for local shops is that the online price is often less than they can buy from local middlemen importers.
Australia has some problem sole importer protection laws which are inflating local prices with unnecessary middleman markups.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:09 pm

It's all well and good to buy online; the problems begin when you don't know what you're doing and bugger something up.......

I buy online and service/build my own rigs and wheelsets, but still drop in and buy bits and pieces from my LBS if I need them quickly. My LBS is owned/staffed by good people and also sponsors my cycling club - win-win all-round.

Cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:38 pm

As a topic that regularly comes up, when there is a good relationship with a bike shop and they look after you, then a small price increase is not a big deal - after all you get the service (right information and great repair / maintenance).

As Duck suggests, shops are close to the end of the trail and when they pay more for wholesale purchase than in online retail - the distributer and brand themself have a big role in price discrepancy.

A number of bike shops have struggled to adapt and sometimes it is because of business management, poor customers service and communication or ignoring the changing market. But there are a heap of bike shops that are operating very successful and have a good customer base who help build referrals and reputation.

I love the honesty when a mechanic says that their purchase and retail price is too high for certain bits, they recommend I order it separately and then I pay for mechanic / service costs... and am a repeat customer.
Cycling is in my BNA

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:16 am

It's the price difference that does it for me. 10 maybe 20 per cent more, sure I'll just buy from the LBS. But 100% more, sorry, too much. I know it is not the fault of the shop but I can't change the way business works in Australia so I buy online and fix just about anything myself.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:08 am

I believe distances in Oz are used as a convenient excuse for additional expense and delays, as opposed to being a genuine reason, based upon historic transport options. If an item arrives direct to Perth Airport from OS I usually receive it the next day. If it lands in Sydney it is often delayed 7 - 10 days. Not moving in a truck, just sitting there. Then it is sent in a plane to Perth.
It is often easier, faster & cheaper to go ahead & order from OS than having to explain what you want to someone, be told it is not available, do some research, go back, explain it is if they turn a page & look further, they don't tell you they are about to go on holiday so forget to pkace the order, which you find when you call a week later, so you start explaing to another "team" member ...

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:32 am

I prefer to do most of my own repairs. But I do that on my cars as well. Comes from working as a mechanic most of my life.
If I want an item and the LBS has it in stock I will most likely buy it (unless ridiculously overpriced).
But if they have to order it in I may as well get it online myself.

I realise keeping stock costs money as I have to deal with that in the businesses I have worked it over the years.
But it is the same, if it is stock we will usually sell, not having stock means the customer will shop around.

Thinking about my buying patterns since I picked up this obsession a couple of years ago, I think it is 70/30 online vs LBS.
The items bought at the LBS were in stock and I got to look and feel them. I could have bought them cheaper online, but as I had been to the LBS to check out, bought from there.