Germany Brand Bike???

Candice&Jarrah

Germany Brand Bike???

Postby Candice&Jarrah » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:36 pm

Newbie here :D
I've just started Bikejor with my super-dog. We picked up a cheapy bike for my partner while I looked for one that better suited me. Glad I waited because I found a neglected MTB for $15!!!!! It's branded as a "Germany" and is one hell of a solid bike. Anyone heard of them?
I'm in the process of reversing the neglect bit by bit - new tubes, new front disc, adjusted brakes, shortened the chain, realigned front derailleur. Monday it'll get a new chain and I'm going to refurbish the rear derailleur because the pivot points aren't doing their job. It's gone from an unusable clunker to a respectable ride in a few short days - so satisfying!!
I'm here to learn all I can so me and the pup can hit our local trails with confidence and I can maintain "Ze German". Pup is a Ridgeback mix but thinks he's a sled dog so we're having a ball urban mushing while I get the bike up to scratch.
Any other mushing/bikejor people out there?
Nice to meet you all!
Candice

Mububban

Re: Germany Brand Bike???

Postby Mububban » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:02 pm

Candice&Jarrah wrote:Newbie here :D
I've just started Bikejor with my super-dog. We picked up a cheapy bike for my partner while I looked for one that better suited me. Glad I waited because I found a neglected MTB for $15!!!!! It's branded as a "Germany" and is one hell of a solid bike. Anyone heard of them?
I'm in the process of reversing the neglect bit by bit - new tubes, new front disc, adjusted brakes, shortened the chain, realigned front derailleur. Monday it'll get a new chain and I'm going to refurbish the rear derailleur because the pivot points aren't doing their job. It's gone from an unusable clunker to a respectable ride in a few short days - so satisfying!!
I'm here to learn all I can so me and the pup can hit our local trails with confidence and I can maintain "Ze German". Pup is a Ridgeback mix but thinks he's a sled dog so we're having a ball urban mushing while I get the bike up to scratch.
Any other mushing/bikejor people out there?
Nice to meet you all!
Candice

I've never heard of that brand of bike, but it's always good to see things get repaired and recycled/restored rather than put out for scrap.

And I don't think my wife's cats would make for very good bikejor animals :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:29 pm

You might want to be careful about where you choose to enjoy bikejor - in NSW & I think every other state, it is contrary to the road rules to lead an animal, including by tethering the animal to the bicycle
Anything you can do, I can do slower

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:10 pm

find_bruce wrote:You might want to be careful about where you choose to enjoy bikejor - in NSW & I think every other state, it is contrary to the road rules to lead an animal, including by tethering the animal to the bicycle
I was also under the impression that riding whilst tethered to a leashed/harnessed dog was illegal...
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:58 am

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:04 am

I never knew it was called bikjor, but did it a few years ago. Dog & I both loved it. Dog got heaps of exercise, downside was I got none! I made up a sprung device secured near the rear axle so the dog ran alongside the left of the rear wheel. Gave my dog the motivation to get in front and gave me better control of which direction we were going. Rode in a huge park.

Regarding your bike. Maybe it was just stickered that way by a German, maybe it was in competition. Are you able to post photos?

Candice&Jarrah

Postby Candice&Jarrah » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:31 pm

I'm new to forums and I'm not sure how to post a photo unfortunately, I'm trying to work it out!
I never thought to check the legal side of it, thanks for the info - I will definitely look into it. As far as I can tell it's against the law to "lead an animal" while riding. Technically I'm not leading him, he's attached to the head post and obeying verbal commands and both my hands are on the handlebars. I wonder if I can get away with it on a technicality haha :P We can stick to the trails now that I've done the training with him, so it's not a drama if I can't do urban anymore.

Candice&Jarrah

Postby Candice&Jarrah » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:25 pm

Also I found another sticker on it... Fischer (not a Gary Fisher bike), and a quick Google search led me to another forum post asking the exact same question. No one there knew what it was either! Guess I'm destined to be in the dark on this one lol