Beginner - can't decide which bike; any suggestions?

vinvanmil

Beginner - can't decide which bike; any suggestions?

Postby vinvanmil » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:43 pm

Hi all,

I know there's been several threads on this already, so I apologize in advance if this thread is not appropriate. However, I am looking to buy a new bike and got a few models in mind. Some background: I am fairly fit (I run and do spin classes) and have decided to try commuting to work by bike rather than being cramped in overpopulated Melbourne trains in the morning. I live about 20km's from my work and the route would be mainly bicycle tracks, but also some normal roads. I also want to use the bike for some weekend rides, potentially "longer" trips (e.g. 60-70km rides). I am considering a flat bar, as the position of a drop-bar roadie doesn't quite suit me.

Last weekend I went into a few shops and looked at the following models that caught my interest:
- Giant Fastroad SL1 (2019) - $1499
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/fastroad-sl-1-2019

- Merida Speeder 400 (2018) - ~$1250
http://www.merida.com.au/en_au/bikes/hy ... -9615.html

- Merida Speeder 500 (2018) - ~$1500
http://www.merida.com.au/en_au/bikes/hy ... -9617.html

- Trek FXS 4 (2018) - $1500
https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/bike ... 4/p/21559/

I've test-driving all them (briefly) and to be honest they all felt fine when riding. The Giant is the newest (2019) model with tubeless - not sure if that is a benefit or not. The Speeder 500 is pretty much, as far as I understand, the same at the Speeder 400 but with a better groupset (Shimano Ultegra vs the Shimano 105 on the 400) - however being a beginner I don't know if its worth the difference?

If anybody could give me any advice, tips, comments on the above bikes or any thoughts in general, that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

brumby33

Re: Beginner - can't decide which bike; any suggestions?

Postby brumby33 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:10 pm

I like the look of the new Giant model...and it has more spokes.
I think tubeless will be the way of the future where if you do get a puncture, you can sort it out on the bike rather than taking it off.
Room for racks etc...this would be my pick of the bunch.
The designer of Vivente bikes just rode his swabia touring bike accross Eastern Europe with tubeless tyres...no issues and roll nicely.
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

4 1 3 0

Postby 4 1 3 0 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:08 pm

I'd go Giant as well, I have a couple of their older brands but dam they are great bikes.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:09 pm

Of those four, if you're thinking of commuting on the bike, I think the Trek is probably the best compromise in terms of spec and durability (there's a reason there are so many Trek FXs still getting around as commuter bikes). I've had a few thru my hands for flipping, and have ridden most of them (the ones that fit). They're heavy, but tough as nails. Lots of spokes in most cases, nice stiff frame, racks and guards fit easily. If you're looking at commuting, this is a good option.

If not commuting, and the bike is for fitness and fun, then the Giant is a good option, not just for the bits fitted to it, but for the paint, the warranty and the proliferation of locations available for support. Every Giant I've had thru my hands has always cleaned up well, and this includes older stuff like OCRs and even a Sedona MTB I put together for a neighbour. This is an indicator of the frame/paint quality.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Bennoz

Postby Bennoz » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:53 pm

check out some of canyons urban / fitness bikes. For your budget this wouldnt be a bad option:
https://www.canyon.com/en-au/fitness/ro ... l-7-0.html

105, disc brakes, 30mm tyres, carbon forks & seatpost

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:38 pm

all are good,

just make sure you get the right bike fit and for commuters, have money and room for a helmet, hi viz vest/jacket, and rack.

as its your first bike, yeah, maybe it won't fit you months later, but at that price point, I think everything is good, even too good for beginners.

When I was in your shoes, I was adviced to spend around 400-500 for a new bike, then move up or stop from there. If it's your liking, you would upgrade, if then you don't like it, you can stop there, or if you really love the bike, you'll ride it years and years to come.

V17L

Postby V17L » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:00 pm

The fastroad looks.... Well fast.
I also like the look of the cross city
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/cross-city-0-disc
As it is very similar to the trek fx.
I ride a trek fx 7.5, and have used it on tours, as well as a regular commute.
Whatever you get, fit is really the king.
Oh, i changed my seat out for a brooks, but that is another kettle of fish and discovery for you.
Giant Defy 1

vinvanmil

Postby vinvanmil » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:26 pm

Thanks all the responses. I’ve been doing some more reading and seems that all bikes get good reviews. So I suppose it comes down to personal preference and fit. Will do some more test riding in the weekend and then make the decision. Thanks again.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:25 am

vinvanmil wrote:Thanks all the responses. I’ve been doing some more reading and seems that all bikes get good reviews. So I suppose it comes down to personal preference and fit. Will do some more test riding in the weekend and then make the decision. Thanks again.
You can't go wrong pretty much so you're in a good position :D

As for paying more for Ultegra vs the cheaper Tiagra or 105, the only real benefit is a 500 gram weight saving. Which is beneficial if you're doing long uphill climbs, but otherwise Tiagra and 105 shift brilliantly, are bulletproof and will never let you down.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!