Bike trailer or tag along for two older kids?

zarniwoop

Bike trailer or tag along for two older kids?

Postby zarniwoop » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:07 pm

I’m looking for a method of towing along our 5 and 7 year olds on longer rides. The 7 year old is not a confident rider yet and neither would have the stamina to do the longer rides either so we’re looking for another option.

Can anyone recommend a trailer or tag along that would suit two older kids? Would need to cope with 50kg of weight plus the height of an older kid.

Any recommendations most appreciated.

ironhanglider

Re: Bike trailer or tag along for two older kids?

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:52 pm

What does 'longer' mean? My 8 year old did a comfortable 35km with some sprints and sustained efforts on his own today.

Previously we used a tandem and tag along for a while for my two kids. I suspect that 7 is going to be too big for any trailer and is marginal on a tag along.

Cheers,

Cameron

Edited for clarity.
Last edited by ironhanglider on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mububban

Re: Bike trailer or tag along for two older kids?

Postby Mububban » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:18 pm

zarniwoop wrote:I’m looking for a method of towing along our 5 and 7 year olds on longer rides. The 7 year old is not a confident rider yet and neither would have the stamina to do the longer rides either so we’re looking for another option.

Can anyone recommend a trailer or tag along that would suit two older kids? Would need to cope with 50kg of weight plus the height of an older kid.

Any recommendations most appreciated.
How long is long? 10km? 35km? What's you typical terrain like? Do their current bikes have gears or just a single speed?

Keep in mind the manufacturer's safe weight limit. For typical bike trailers, it's 36kg. And the trailer itself weighs 11-15kg. On the flats that's okay, but going up even modest hills towing that much extra weight will really stress your legs. And your brakes probably won't like controlling that much weight. I'd hate to see an overloaded bike trailer with kids that age and weight jack knife!

Also, by age 7 most kids will have their head sticking out of the top of the bike trailer. We stopped using our trailer when our kids were the ages you described. They had to pedal themselves, and on holidays to Rottnest I'd tow the trailer full of bags and beach towels etc so they could ride with no extra weight.

Last Rottnest trip, I saw one of these Weehoo tandem tagalong thingies:

But they apparently cost $800 and have the same 36kg passenger limit as bike trailers.

My kids have inherited my skinny legs, so we just bought them bikes with gears, we stop to rest all the time, and I've become very good at riding one handed, leaning over and pushing a kid up a hill!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!