Canyon bikes, poeple who have actually bought them online - update now i have taken delivery

colinmc400

Canyon bikes, poeple who have actually bought them online - update now i have taken delivery

Postby colinmc400 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:59 am

Guys, is it possible to get feedback on the whole ordering/delivery/ownership experience from Canyon? I have googled this to death and like all things in this world, if you look hard enough you can get a cross section of opinion. Those who loved it and those who hated it.

I am about to pull the trigger on one of their TT bikes, as the geometry is perfect for me apparently, according to the guy who does my bike fitting. I was going to order and have it sent to him for building and setting up for me, but i simply have no idea how long it takes, if there are any options you can make (had read you could choose stem length and extension bar shape, but cannot see it on their website) and really just some general comments on the whole process.

Would prefer people who have actually done it, as opposed to my mates cousins hairdresser did it etc etc.
Last edited by colinmc400 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xastorm

Re: Canyon bikes, poeple who have actually bought them online.

Postby xastorm » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:43 pm

I bought one a few months ago, had no need to swap parts but I don’t believe that is an option buying Canyon. Got slightly held up due to paperwork (known issue..) but still arrived within 10 working days. Haven’t had any dramas with the bike to make comment as to the ease of dealing with them for warranty or repairs, etc.

colinmc400

Postby colinmc400 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:04 pm

Thanks for that. Not sure why that thread did not come up when i did search.

colinmc400

Postby colinmc400 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:05 pm

xastorm wrote:I bought one a few months ago, had no need to swap parts but I don’t believe that is an option buying Canyon. Got slightly held up due to paperwork (known issue..) but still arrived within 10 working days. Haven’t had any dramas with the bike to make comment as to the ease of dealing with them for warranty or repairs, etc.
Jeez i would be happy with a 10 day a delivery. Would be in time for the September club ITT :lol:

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:39 pm

According to their site, they have a service centre in Keysborough - Melbourne.
There's an Australian 1300 number for business hours 8 -5pm - 1300 712 003 - whether or not that number routes straight through to Europe or not would be a good question

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:55 pm

Ivanerrol wrote:According to their site, they have a service centre in Keysborough - Melbourne.
There's an Australian 1300 number for business hours 8 -5pm - 1300 712 003 - whether or not that number routes straight through to Europe or not would be a good question
A friend of mine works in the local service office. The phone number goes to that office, not Europe. My understanding is that all the ordering is done directly to Germany through the website, but service enquiries & backup are handled by the local office.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

xastorm

Postby xastorm » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:28 pm

Sound right Duck.. all my queries (mostly re sizing) were dealt with by the Aussie guys but ultimately the order went through Germany. 10 days is quick for sure, but it hurt watching it sit in customs (via online tracking) for days on end!!
Also the outlet/discount bikes are in Eu and not Australia, so if you’re considering buying one of those there’s no possibility of looking at it in person prior to purchase. Not sure I’d be keen to buy a used one with only a few photos to judge to the condition on, just for the sake of a couple $100 saving..
Also not sure how new import tax affects purchase $.
Setup was very easy, it comes mostly built.
If you do choose to go ahead, check out their other items in their online shop as you get an extra discount on lots of things when you purchase a bike.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:21 pm

Very painless process you order, it gets shipped from Germany, took about ten days in my case, very basic assembly required, add pedals, pump up tyres and away you go.

The Canyon Service centre in Australia will answer any questions you have and will swap stems free of charge within 30 days, you just pay for postage both ways.

colinmc400

Postby colinmc400 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:06 pm

nickobec wrote:Very painless process you order, it gets shipped from Germany, took about ten days in my case, very basic assembly required, add pedals, pump up tyres and away you go.

The Canyon Service centre in Australia will answer any questions you have and will swap stems free of charge within 30 days, you just pay for postage both ways.
Any idea if there is any option to swap anything else? The Med TT bike has 172.5mm cranks and i would prefer 170mm. Its not a deal breaker, as i was going to get a power set up anyway and would be easily able to sell the Ultegra cranks. Just one less thing to be bothered about.

xastorm

Postby xastorm » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:37 pm

Can’t hurt to just ring them and ask, they were very helpful with my questions :D

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:50 pm

xastorm wrote:Can’t hurt to just ring them and ask, they were very helpful with my questions :D
+1 phone or email, it will be answered by the local service centre and they are very helpful

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:55 am

Buying from Canyon is great if what you want is in stock (as my order was). If not I have seen delivery dates pushed out to months and keep getting extended.

colinmc400

Postby colinmc400 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:31 pm

Phoned them this morning to get the lowdown on swapping any parts at the time of order. The simple answer was no, you get what you see. Canyon Au do keep some stems and can be swapped over at list price - 50%, + the postage.

Still doesn't put me off and one last visit to the bikefit guy at the weekend will confirm the choice to be made and the trigger will be pulled.

Phil

Postby Phil » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:48 pm

Have bought 2 Canyon Endurace’s - Exceptional value for Money. Had a call from Jarrad in Melbourne each time.

Would happily buy again. Just know your geometry and fit.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:56 pm

Phil wrote:Have bought 2 Canyon Endurace’s - Exceptional value for Money.
Are they? The "ENDURACE CF SLX DISC 8.0 DI2" is $7200 - for $6600 (RRP) you can have a new Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 with the same group set and including a power meter. Or a Specialized Roubaix Export Ultegra Di2 for $7000 (RRP).

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:17 pm

hamishm wrote:
Are they? The "ENDURACE CF SLX DISC 8.0 DI2" is $7200 - for $6600 (RRP) you can have a new Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 with the same group set and including a power meter. Or a Specialized Roubaix Export Ultegra Di2 for $7000 (RRP).
Funny you don't mention the Canyon Endurace CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2 which is $4,699. It's also lighter than both the Giant and Specialized. The Ultegra (non-di2) version was on sale for around $3500 delivered during the TdF. Pretty good value I'd say.

The Endurace CF SLX 8.0 Di2 has a much more expensive wheelset than the Giant and Specialized and is at least 500 grams ligher. Apples and oranges.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:29 pm

biker jk wrote:Funny you don't mention the Canyon Endurace CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2 which is $4,699.
Thanks for that, I overlooked it. They have a lot of models. I did think the carbon and wheels on the SLX looked higher spec than the Giant.

Can you customise much at ordering time? I wouldn't want the 52/36 crankset but a 50/34 instead. (FWIW Giant apparently ship 50/34 AND 11-34 on the new Defy which is pretty extreme.)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:48 pm

hamishm wrote:
biker jk wrote:Funny you don't mention the Canyon Endurace CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2 which is $4,699.
Thanks for that, I overlooked it. They have a lot of models. I did think the carbon and wheels on the SLX looked higher spec than the Giant.

Can you customise much at ordering time? I wouldn't want the 52/36 crankset but a 50/34 instead. (FWIW Giant apparently ship 50/34 AND 11-34 on the new Defy which is pretty extreme.)
The DT Swiss ERC 1400 wheels on the Canyon are 47mm deep and retail for $2649. The Giant's wheels are 30mm deep and I doubt they would be worth more than $1500 at most. Also note that the SLX is the highest spec Endurace frame while the Giant is tier 2 (below the SL version).

You can't customise but would have to buy 50-34 chainrings and sell the 52-36 rings on the bike. On the di2 Endurace models the cassette is 11-30 (not 11-32 as on the non-di2 models).

colinmc400

Re: Canyon bikes, poeple who have actually bought them online - update now i have taken delivery

Postby colinmc400 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:07 pm

Hi guys, just an update on my experience with buying my Canyon Speedmax. I finally took the plunge and placed the order, even though it did say the actual shipping date would be @4-5 weeks after my order. I got the confirmation email pretty quickly and the link to track the progress. After a week or so, i decided i should have bought the Elite Crono bottle and cage and email Canyon Au to add it to the order and that was done quickly and efficiently, with a new order confirmation email arriving as well.

In the middle of the week prior to the estimated shipping date, i got an email saying the bike was built and was being packed and sure enough on the Monday of the promised week, i got the UPS shipping/tracking details. Two days later the tracking showed it was in Perth and on the Friday it was delivered to my LBS for assembly (how quick and hassle free was that). Cycles Bespoke did the assembly and PDI for me and i took it away the following Wednesday.

The only downside was an aborted first ride, with the base bar shifter not shifting down the cassette. Back to the LBS and straight on the phone to Canyon AU. Now initially i was a bit pissed off with their response, "oh you will have to take the shifter off, send it to us, we send it to Shimano and they decide if its goosed and then send a replacement". Umm no, i have a 6 grand bike i cannot ride, what are Canyon going to do? They then started a slightly patronising spiel about "aw we see allsorts of odd things being done by people assembling their own bikes". To which i replied, "check the delivery address, its my LBS, they assembled it not me". Straight after that the attitude changed and it was all sorted in a couple of hours, with the local Shimano rep talking directly to the LBS and they found a loose connection in the frame and that was it. I took it away same day and was riding it that night.

So there was a little bit of hassle with the bike and a little bit of "its not our problem Mr Customer" and that might put some people off. But i cannot say its any worse than a couple of teething problems i had with my first Tarmac DI2 build at the LBS. Delivery date wise and keeping you informed, went perfectly for me and the date was as promised, so no issues there.

As for the bike, well its my first TT bike, so still getting use to it, but i managed a 1.36 PB at our local 20km TT last Sunday and put nearly 2kph onto my average. Which on a day when there weren't so many PB's around, i was happy with. There is a bit of fit work to come, but its really very close already and that all bodes well for the rest of the TT season.

fergy1987

Re: Canyon bikes, poeple who have actually bought them online - update now i have taken delivery

Postby fergy1987 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:13 am

Was just wondering whats the deal with their deraillieur hangers.....i find it odd that when you add the bike to the basket they offer you a deraillieur hanger as an add on.....are they prone to breaking or something? Seems like an odd "accessory"

The other thing I was wondering was if we pay by credit card do we get hit with any international transaction fees ? 3% on a few grand is a pretty big hit.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:43 pm

fergy1987 wrote:Was just wondering whats the deal with their deraillieur hangers.....i find it odd that when you add the bike to the basket they offer you a deraillieur hanger as an add on.....are they prone to breaking or something? Seems like an odd "accessory"

The other thing I was wondering was if we pay by credit card do we get hit with any international transaction fees ? 3% on a few grand is a pretty big hit.
Deraillaeur hangers are intentionally fragile - their design role is a sacrificial part and to bend before there is damage to your frame or RD.

As far as I am concerned, a spare derailleur hanger should come standard with every new bike. They are a dirt cheap part to manufacturer, but expensive for your LBS to maintain a wide range of stock. Including a spare is almost a rounding error in terms of cost, but if the installed hanger gets bent, will allow you to swap it over and keep riding, while you then source a 2nd spare.

colinmc400

Postby colinmc400 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:28 am

fergy1987 wrote:
Yeah i think the charge on my Westpac card was around $100 IIRC. i think that's one area they could improve and let the order be placed with Canyon AU and the final price on the order page is what you end up paying. But for my 6k bike, another @100 was neither here nor there.

Phil

Postby Phil » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:40 pm

hamishm wrote:
Paid $1,600 less than the $7,200 - just wait for the sales.

Unava

Postby Unava » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:26 pm

Hi Guys

I am new here, I ordered Canyon cf Sl Di2 in Flash blue, In short, I’ve planned to pay by a netbank money transfer, has anyone in here done that through Commwealth? how long did it take to transfer money from your account to Canyon’s account, Canyon advised me to do it 14 days before the dispatch date which is 25- 29th March. I assume money should transfer into their account by 11th March

Thanks in advance