Aero/Tri Bars

Deus_Ex_Machina

Aero/Tri Bars

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:10 am

Hi all,
I have done a couple of sprint Triathlons and am looking at doing an Olympic later this year. I'm very much an amateur but am looking at basic Tri bars for my Cannondale CAAD 8 and am looking for recommendations. I keep coming across profile design T2+ in my searching and someone locally is selling some T3's second hand for a good price. Any recommendations on a fairly versatile but basic first time set of bars?

Cheers,

10speedsemiracer

Re: Aero/Tri Bars

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:31 pm

Deus_Ex_Machina wrote:Hi all,
I have done a couple of sprint Triathlons and am looking at doing an Olympic later this year. I'm very much an amateur but am looking at basic Tri bars for my Cannondale CAAD 8 and am looking for recommendations. I keep coming across profile design T2+ in my searching and someone locally is selling some T3's second hand for a good price. Any recommendations on a fairly versatile but basic first time set of bars?

Cheers,
Just be aware that aero bars may need you to adjust other elements of the bike (saddle position, post height) in order to use comfortably, but will help you get nice and slick. I have some Profile bars you could have for cheap if you're in Melb...
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Deus_Ex_Machina

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:09 pm

Thabnks for the offer but down in Geelong and yeah I'm expecting to have to move some stuff. At the mo I'm confused about the T1,2,3,4 profiles. The T2 seem to get a good wrap as a rd bike "conversion" however the T3 kinda look more comfy with the skijump ends. End of the day I'm not a super long rider so anything is prob gonna work.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:20 pm

Deus_Ex_Machina wrote:Thabnks for the offer but down in Geelong and yeah I'm expecting to have to move some stuff. At the mo I'm confused about the T1,2,3,4 profiles. The T2 seem to get a good wrap as a rd bike "conversion" however the T3 kinda look more comfy with the skijump ends. End of the day I'm not a super long rider so anything is prob gonna work.
Think you're exactly right in terms of they all do a similar job. Just take a bit of time fiddling with seat post, saddle rail and stem once you've got whichever bar on there. Good luck with it.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:59 am

For a road bike, the usual challenge is it's difficult to get as low as you should be for a good aero position.

So my advice is to find bars with the lowest possible elbow pads - ie the least stack above the handlebar.

Many tri bars have the extensions above the handlebar, then the elbow pads above that. This will set you pretty high, which is not what you want. Try to find a set with the extensions either inline with the handlebar or below it.

Also look into a steep angled stem that you can point downwards for more drop.

And as above, you should also look in to a different saddle and (forward offset) seat post to rotate everything forwards comfortably. Basically you want to take your road bike position and rotate your entire body around the bottom bracket, not just fold yourself lower.

Some good tips:
http://www.bikeroar.com/tips/5-best-mod ... tt-machine

And if you don't know what position you want, start here:
https://custom.diamondback.com/cms/page ... =AU#step09
Put in your personal data and it will give you a very good starting point for Pad X and Y - the position of the centre of your elbow pads relative to the bottom bracket.
Then use some trigonometry to work out what stem and aero bar combo will get you near that.

Ski jumps are probably a bit more comfortable on the wrists, but focus first on getting your elbows in the right position.

If you have an indoor trainer the other super hot tip is to video yourself from the side on aero bars and post it to slowtwitch forums for some free professional feedback.