short wide shoes

zebee

short wide shoes

Postby zebee » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:13 am

I've been using Shimano sandals for years and they fit nicely. But now and then I think I might like some actual shoes...

SPD compatible and walkable, but they need to be Euro size 42 and wide fit. All cycling shoes I have seen in the flesh that size have been incredibly narrow. The sole on my sandals is 10cm wide at the widest point and I wouldn't fit in something narrower. (I was barefoot by preference until people started paying me to wear shoes, I have feet shaped like tennis rackets)

Any suggestions? Obviously brands available to try on in Sydney are best, online only with robust return policies.

Comedian

Re: short wide shoes

Postby Comedian » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:04 am

I have wide and high feet and finding cycling shoes that fit has been as much trouble as finding normal shoes. :cry:

I've found that shimano MTB shoes (even the wide fit) aren't really that wide or high. I found that to get shoes to fit me cycling shops go long. The problem is you end up in clown shoes and the cleat position suffers.

I found some Bontranger road shoes that are wide and high and they are 45. The first Shimano MTB shoe the bike shop sold me was a 48. We then found some wide fit and they are 47 and are still significantly too long. Yesterday I bought some bont Riot MTB shoes and they are 46 but I don't really think they could be any shorter. So that's awesome.

Anyway - I offer this tale just to say that just because one shop doesn't carry a brand that fits doesn't mean they don't exist. Just ride around and try shoes. There are lots of different brands. I've personally been told Northwave do some wide shoes as well.

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:29 am

See similar thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=92721&hilit=wide+shoes

I've got some Lake wide fit shoes - I found them much wider than Shimano wide fit. I bought 2 pairs (different sizes) from BikeBug and only kept the best fitting size, returning the others (using PayPal free return postage). A mate has Northwave shoes and says they're also wider than Shimano wide fit.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:10 pm

Have a look at the Shimano Click'R.
Shimano Click’R Pedals – less is much more

The article is a few years old however the shoes are sneaker style and made for walking. Also the format of the shoes is with a flexible / stretchy upper rather than a very stiff upper which will affect fit. I feel that Shimano generally a geared well towards wider feet but if you go for a very robust shoe (with single-piece leather or synthetic uppers) then you can suffer, particularly for longer rides.

Cycling is in my BNA

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:55 pm

i also have traingular shaped feet, the key for me was to find supple uppers.

Recently I got the bont riot in road shoes and it was narrow feeling in the store and the sales person did a good job :oops: I went through 3-5 rounds of heat molding tapping bigger and bigger padding around the "tight" points and now they are very comfortable with no tight spots. I was getting to the point there where I was thinking maybe it just won't work for me.

Personally i think Bont went a bit overboard on creating a sole which comes up the side of the foot so much, I don't really think its needed, it does make for a different fit.

On most my other shoes, I feel like part of my foot is off the sole, but TBH, I think that feeling is magnified when standing in them and less noticeable when normal pedaling.
Comedian wrote:Yesterday I bought some bont Riot MTB shoes and they are 46 but I don't really think they could be any shorter.
interested to hear how you feel walking in them. I am considering getting the Bont in MTB style too. But I think due to the high sides on the sole I think it could get quite uncomfortable walking around and in general the lateral movements on the MTB

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:13 pm

eeksll wrote:i also have traingular shaped feet, the key for me was to find supple uppers.
Photo please... don't mind if they are traingular or triangular, this I have to see!
Cycling is in my BNA

slowK

Postby slowK » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:47 pm

nickdos wrote: I've got some Lake wide fit shoes - I found them much wider than Shimano wide fit.
Me too. Lake wide fit have been great (I use the MX237 MTB shoes), which I had to buy from overseas - Bikebug don't stock them (they had the road version CX237 though).

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:51 pm

Lakes used to be wide fit for me. A few years back they changed and became too narrow for my 2E feet. I've since had to move to sidi mega's and now with correct toes my 2nd toe is hitting the side of the shoe. So only shoe that will fit me now is Bont's :( As they are the only manufacturer to build a shoe to how the foot should be shaped and I can't find any spd cycling sandals anymore.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810