Need help pruchasing a bike 150kg rider

bbr123

Need help pruchasing a bike 150kg rider

Postby bbr123 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:54 am

Hi all, I am really to keen to get back into riding. I am massively overweight around 150kg and think cycling is a great way to help me lose some weight and get back into riding which I really did enjoy. Unfortunately after doing some research and looking at bikes online its very evident bikes are not made for people of this size. I am wondering if anyone can help in a possible bike that would suit my need. ill be riding mainly on roads/pavement.

RobertL

Re: Need help pruchasing a bike 150kg rider

Postby RobertL » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:49 am

Hi bbr. There was a recent topic about this that may help get you started: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =9&t=98418

Basically, bike frames and forks are very strong and the limiting factor will be wheel strength. There are plenty of wheels out there that will take your weight (they build them for tandems, for example) but most off the shelf bikes won't have those suitable wheels.

A lot of it, like all cyclists, depends on your budget, whether you want to buy new or 2nd hand, and so on.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:11 am

Hi bbr - not sure what your aims/ideal weight would be but if I was you I'd begin by walking an hour every day to kickstart a fitness and weight-loss trajectory, along with paying some attention to diet. It's a much simpler way to get started - needs no special gear and is easier to sneak into your daily timetable, doesn't matter if its dark or not close to bike trails etc.

Once your weight drops a little (and it will do so quicker than by riding at this stage) and you build some fitness back up then cycling will be a more viable option.

Of course this is just my opinion. Good luck whichever way you go. :wink:
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:08 pm

yeah agree with Cyclotaur here with trying to kick start some fitness and get yourself into a routine first. Maybe not a hour every day but at least half an hour twice a week to start with (a walk around the block is good) and maybe look up your local gym and see if they do spin/rpm cycle classes. Start off with a few of those (they are great because they will really work you out all over but won't injure or kill you. Also a great way to get accustomed to riding again).

Buying a bike without a proper fit and going out there and overdoing it is looking for trouble. I've known a few people the same as you and done a knee or back injury in the first couple of rides and then given cycling up completely.

For your first bike look for something sturdy, maybe a little more upright like a Giant Cross City or a Giant MTB (if you are tall try a 29er). Pay attention to the wheelset and try to upgrade to a model with a better wheelset (more spokes and wider rim the better usually). If you are really enjoying it then maybe look into buying a road bike (but you really need to go through the process and not go "hey lets just skip to a road bike". This approach may hurt you! :-)

Anyway good luck with it. I'm off the bike currently with a dodgy hip so I'm working my way back to fitness myself (blown out to 107 kegs)
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:16 pm

bbr123 wrote: Unfortunately after doing some research and looking at bikes online its very evident bikes are not made for people of this size.
T'aint the case. Listen to Robert.
RobertL wrote:There was a recent topic about this that may help get you started: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =9&t=98418
As I said there
Thoglette wrote:at 150Kg you're barely cracking the "big" league. Ernest Gagnon started at over 500lbs.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ