Is it a great secondhand deal?

XtremeCheater

Is it a great secondhand deal?

Postby XtremeCheater » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:37 pm

Hello all,

I get a deal on secondhand Merida Scultura 907 2012 for 750 AUD and Giant TCR Advanced 2011 for 700 AUD. Both are equipped with Ultegra although I can say that the crank of the Merida is a little bit better (SLK carbon). The Giant one is not including pedals. Opinion please? I'm getting confused.

macca33

Re: Is it a great secondhand deal?

Postby macca33 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:32 pm

They're both decent bikes and the prices are in the ballpark. Obviously try to get the best deal you can.

Cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:46 pm

Which one is the best fit for you? A bike that does not fit is not a bargain.

What condition are they in? Having to replace a few consumables like chain, cassette and tyres can cost $200+ which will make a good bargain look a lot more expensive.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:45 pm

I wouldn't rate the FSA SLK crank on the Merida "better"; I've seen too many of them (and other similar ones) let go where the aluminium pedal insert block is bonded into the carbon crank.
Last edited by Duck! on Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:56 pm

Duck! wrote:I wouldn't rate the FSA SLK crank on the Merida "better"; I've seen to many of them (and other similar ones) let go where the aluminium pedal insert block is bonded into the carbon crank.
Yeah I have an SLK and an Ultegra, I'll take the ultegra over the SLK.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

A_P

Postby A_P » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:06 pm

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:47 am

The choice between the OPs options would be crystal clear for me - a bike without pedals (the Giant) is not a complete bike! Some issues have the facility to get you fired up far more than their relative importance in the scheme of things warrants, and bikes sold without pedals is one such issue for me.

I have heard the arguments in favour of selling bikes without pedals, and I consider them to be self-serving garbage. If I am buying a bike, new or second-hand, I expect to be able to get on it and ride it. If not - no sale! If I were to sell one of my bikes and desperately wanted to keep the pedals (as if) then I would find an old pair to put on.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:00 pm

nickobec wrote:Which one is the best fit for you? A bike that does not fit is not a bargain.

What condition are they in? Having to replace a few consumables like chain, cassette and tyres can cost $200+ which will make a good bargain look a lot more expensive.
+1 to that.

Not enough detail to make an objective assessment.

Even though they may have started as 'good' bikes, from what is supplied, I'd say neither.

XtremeCheater

Postby XtremeCheater » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:19 pm

The conditions seem to be great (the Merida) and excellent (the Giant). Now, after some more bargains, the prices were lowered, the Giant down to 600 and the Merida to 700. Getting confused. Maybe just stick to my workhorse for the time being, my Reid bike XD

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:28 pm

I'm not sure they are that great a bargain.
I found a Merida Scultura 4000, brand new condition, but unwanted/unloved.
Hadn't been ridden. Carbon frame, full 105 groupset.
Came with bonus bottle cage and saddle bag with spare tube for $1k.
Keep looking - you can do better :)
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:03 pm

I would inspect the frames very closely and look ensure that they are free from damage.

Pedals..... hmmm. So they come with speedplays and I have having troubling clipping my SPD-SLs in. In my book pedals are not a deal breaker - for a new bike you encourage the retailer to put them on as part of the price and for second hand, if you don't already have some, you can pick up some perfectly good 105's for $50.
Cycling is in my BNA

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:29 pm

Philistine wrote:.
I have heard the arguments in favour of selling bikes without pedals, and I consider them to be self-serving garbage. If I am buying a bike, new or second-hand, I expect to be able to get on it and ride it. If not - no sale! If I were to sell one of my bikes and desperately wanted to keep the pedals (as if) then I would find an old pair to put on.
Anyone who is serious shopper for a $700 8yo bike will happily bring their own pedals.
So sort of a good way to weed out time wasters.

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:52 pm

Jmuzz wrote: Anyone who is serious shopper for a $700 8yo bike will happily bring their own pedals.
So sort of a good way to weed out time wasters.
Surely you jest? Someone who is in the market for a $700 bike either doesn't own one at all, or owns one worth less than $700. Cyclists such as these are hardly likely to have spare pairs of high end pedals lying around their garages. Your comment would have made more sense (just a little bit more) if you had said $7000 instead of $700.

Also, by your definition I must be a time waster - thanks! I have never taken a pair of pedals with me when I have gone to look at a bike and I doubt if I ever will.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:56 pm

Philistine wrote:Someone who is in the market for a $700 bike either doesn't own one at all, or owns one worth less than $700. Cyclists such as these are hardly likely to have spare pairs of high end pedals lying around their garages.
Who buys a $700 bike, somebody trying out riding, wouldn't they appreciate flat pedals, a mountain biker getting a taste for road, would prefer SPD pedals or a roadie upgrading or buying a second bike as trainer, then road pedals, but should they be Shimano SPD-SL, Look Keo or something else?

So to make the sale to you, the poor seller has to shell out $50 to buy pedals that are unlikely to be used by most purchasers and the $700 bike is now a $750 bike.

Would you rather spend $750 on a bike with pedals that are no use to you, or $700 with no pedals and $50 to spend on the pedals that are right for you.

From my 1st road bike, I turned up to test ride I brought my own pedals (I was a MTBer) and continued to do so, ever time I test ride a bike.

I do not expect a seller to pander to me, I don't expect Look Keo pedals, so I take my own, together with a pedal wrench and two large allen keys. I want to get a good test ride in, so my own pedals are much better than flats or the wrong type of pedals.

XtremeCheater

Postby XtremeCheater » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:38 pm

Now I ended up getting a whole another bike, after winning on eBay auction, 1200 AUD for Giant TCR Advanced SL (Dura Ace) 2015. Complete with Ultegra pedals. Trying to buy another one tough to carry to my country. Such bikes are not available in my country (at least not in this price category). I have set my eyes on 1450 AUD Giant Defy Advanced SL1 2016, but I need to think twice since my budget leeway actually only 700 AUD. I can sell these for 3000+ AUD in my country, I'm pretty sure.

But again the Defy is M size and I'm 167cm. Duh.