Elite Direto?

Arbuckle23

Elite Direto?

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:30 pm

As we have no dedicated Smart Trainer Forum, I though I would throw this in here as I am looking at buying :)

Anyone got any Elite Direto?

Seriously think of buying a smart trainer now as have just changed jobs and riding outside during the week has just got harder.
The Direto can be purchased for under $1000 now I may be able to get that past the chief of home finance.
I can't spend any more that that or divorce will happen.

DC Rainmaker & Shane Miller are positive about them, but looking for for fist hand experiences.

ft_critical

Re: Elite Direto?

Postby ft_critical » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:37 pm

I have one, it is great, but you might want to explain what you plan to do with it? Why do you need a smart trainer versus a mag/oil/turbo trainer?

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:45 pm

Got a mag trainer and hate it. Feel is rubbish and get bored quckly

I have had a couple of Zwift sessions on a Tacx Neo and enjoyed it.
But I can't spend that much money.
The price point of the Direto is in the budget range.

So to answer, I want to ride on Zwift.

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:38 pm

Spent a while reading reviews and trawling videos about smart trainers and Direto kept coming up as the best value V performance option IMO. I had never owned a trainer or used Zwift but had an exercise bike that had electronic controlled resistance programs which could keep me amused for 30 mins tops and I would never choose that over a real ride, it was only for when I didnt have time to ride. With this in mind I was hesitant to outlay $1k without knowing how often I would use it so instead got a Rampa for $400. Ive had it 3 weeks and done close to 1000k's, ridden outside once. The only thing it doesnt do properly is steep gradients, I feel resistance changes up to about 9% and then it doesnt change anymore. The manufacturer max gradients are based on rider weight and watts so what they advertise may not be 100% accurate for everyone, I think Direto is 14% and parts of Zwift courses go above that. I think if I was to buy something better I would save for a Neo to get the cobbles feel and the downhill efffect plus every gradient. But I'm starting to do more workouts in erg mode than just riding around so you need to figure out what you want to use it for. Zwift is all very confusing before you just get on there and try it out and figure out what you want it for, this should impact on what things you want in a trainer.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:26 am

Direto is good, but don't discount the brand new Kickr Core - in the same price-range and super quiet.....
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:43 pm

macca33 wrote:Direto is good, but don't discount the brand new Kickr Core - in the same price-range and super quiet.....
The Core looks good, but is $200 dearer. That means budget blown.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:53 pm

Zwift! I previously used a Cyclops Fluid (with Powertap P1 pedals) for intervals and Zwift – a lot. Pedals died, subbed in the Direto.
Zwift, I do races (lots), Fondos (few), Workouts (some), recovery rides (heaps).

Setup: easy to assemble, easy to connect to Zwift, no dropouts.

Ride: the flywheel effect is what I wanted when you get to ‘hills’ in Zwift – you don’t have to anticipate like you do on a dumb trainer. The resistance change is seemless and quick.

Sprinting: I sprint up to max power on it, it is stable (I rock it but it is super stable).

Zwift trainer difficulty: To begin with I rode this on 100% for racing, 0% for recovery. Then I rode Alpe d’Zwift. 23-11 on a 100% - no chance! The resistance is too much. So you play with it. I figured 50% represented about a 43-29. The point is, resistance (the ‘smart’) is interesting, now I sometimes race with it at zero which somewhat defeats the purpose of a smart trainer.

Sprinting with Ergo on: The Ergo mode controls the resistance automatically, so you set your difficulty to zero and theoretically the trainer ‘smartness’ should set the resistance and cadence accordingly. I find this a bit more hit and miss. In particular when it expects you at 900 to 1000 watts. This would be my main criticism of the trainer, but I don’t know whether it is the Direto or Zwift. The work around is that I work up to the sprint watts and then work down at the end. If you just stop pedalling after the sprint it doesn’t seem to bring the setting back to normal – which means you can almost not pedal the trainer. This won’t make sense until you try it and is specific to high power output. Similarly for low cadence, sweet spot power, I have had to play with the difficulty setting a bit. Not a significant issue, but talks to either the integration Zwift-Direto or that Ergo reactivity is not perfect - this is specific to workouts - you don't notice it just riding around Zwift.

My conclusion is, even with the trainer difficulty off (essentially non-smart) it is way better than my fluid trainer. Even with the difficulty off there is some change in load and flywheel effect. Secondly, you really need to keep the difficulty on circa 75% to train realistically for the road. When you get to a real hill and hit the granny gear, you will pay for setting difficulty to zero otherwise.

Hope that was helpful, these are clearly my opinions… fire away.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:08 pm

Budget blown, bought the Kickr Core :)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:51 pm

I got an elite direto for $850 from pushy's on sale
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810