Where to buy cheap short crankset

cyclingnolycra

Re: Where to buy cheap short crankset

Postby cyclingnolycra » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:45 am

I'd love to try shorter cranks too (i'm 175cm, using 172.5mm cranks) but it's just too expensive to go and try by buying... and I have no problems at the moment. People like to point out that Quintana is short and uses similar cranks but he normally is out of the saddle for big efforts where I think the crank length doesn't matter as much.

I suspect for anyone shorter the crank length starts to matter even more (as in, their default cranks will be way too long for them)

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:12 am

Thanks again for the info!

Yeah, the short cranks is an experiment. I doubt it could make anything worse, and it may make things better, so just a couple hundred dollars and some time to fiddle to lose really.

I have also just fitted a SMP (blaster) saddle. I am going to experiment with nose down angle on that to twist the pelvis forward.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:03 pm

Shorter = spin easier. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:55 am

Just a quickie....

If I want to run hollowtech cranks on my Specialized Venge 2012 which I believe is OSBB, I think I need a conversion bottom bracket. I note that Specialized appears to use Praxis Works BB when using Hollowtech cranks. Also they seem to be a quality product. Is that the best option for me or should I consider something else?

Cheers!

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:23 am

Hi All,

Almost a year down on the shorter cranks and much of that time was spent not riding due to surgery recovery. The surgery was on my hip, so it turns out I have some hip issues and short cranks are a better option for me to reduce hip range of motion. My other hip is not yet surgically enhanced and want to keep it going as long as possible.

I like the short cranks. They do not fix everything, but they do mean I don't fatigue in the back as quickly and also feel less hip pain after a ride. They also make me feel like I am pedalling smoother. When I get on my weekend bike (172 cranks) I feel like I fatigue and start pedalling squares earlier (start clicking the freewheel ratchet). I cannot report any loss in performance, but have not really done back to back testing. I do have power meters on both bikes and seem to perform the same.

So now I want to do the same to my weekend bike. Mentioned the details in the above post. Is Praxis Works conversion BB the best option to run hollowtech on my Specialized OSBB frame? Do I need any special tools to replace the BB with a conversion BB?

Cheers!

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:52 pm

I bought a Shimano 5800 105 170mm 53/39 crankset a few weeks ago from ebay site Velogear for $105.00.
They still have a couple of cranksets at this price - restricted to 53/39. various crank lengths.
Apparently last of the 5800's.

I installed the 170mm crank on my Roubaix in lieu of the 175.
So far after three rides of 60 K's each - no back pain. But three rides a long journey doesn't make. I'll need to test it out more.

My Wilier GTR is the same size as the Roubaix. I've tried to set it up exactly the same as the Roubaix. After a 60k ride on it I have a smattering of lower back pain. Before I o fooling with the cranks I'm going to swap seats to see if that makes a difference.
The Wilier is 500 grams lighter than the Roubaix.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:54 am

I can't really see any negative with the shorter cranks, and I suspect riders who are getting older or predisposed to hip/knee issues would find benefit. I made a pretty big change from 172.5 down to 165, and the difference is pretty clear while riding. I notice it most when I start to fatigue and can continue to ride smoothly with the shorter cranks, but with the longer cranks I seem to struggle to keep the torque on as I pull it over the top and start clicking free wheel ratchet. But the difference is noticeable as soon as I hop on the bike also. If I have been riding my long crank bike for a bit and hop on the shorter crank bike I immediately feel that I am pedalling smoother and applying more constant torque through the crank rotation. I wish I had vector pedals with cycling dynamics on both bikes, as I feel there would be measurable differences in the cycling dynamics.

I can't say I notice a loss in standing sprinting, but I do feel I am not moving my body as much on shorter cranks, so I suspect there could be a peak power loss there.... but not sure. It could be made up for by the extra cadence available and selecting a lower gear?

I am just going through the process of working out how to change my other bike to shorter cranks. Being a specialized OSBB makes it much more difficult. The commuter had Shimano already, so getting some 165 shimano cranks on was a 5 minute job. I can find (ebay) some direct fit second hand 167.5 Specialized carbon cranks, but the price is more than a new set of Ultegra new cranks and a conversion bracket so will probably go that way. I can't find any 165 Specialized cranks, though I suspect they may have made a few.