First L'Eroica - Tyre recommendations

Narks

First L'Eroica - Tyre recommendations

Postby Narks » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:34 am

I'm about to embark on my first L'Eroica ride in Gaiole in Italy on my trusty 1980 Cecil Walker bike. I have signed up for the 200km ride. Looking for recommendations for tyres to fit my Wolber Super Champion Mixte rims, which are about 18mm wide internally . I'm currently running 700C x 23 Grand Prix tyres which I feel are not quite up to harsh conditions.

I am looking for some extra gip and comfort and reliability on the 100km or so of undulating dirt roads. Speed/weight/rolling resistance are not so important.

With some limited research, I'm considering:

-Schwalbe marathon touring tyre - greenguard
-Schwalbe delta cruiser plus - punctureguard
-Vittoria randonneur tech G+

..all in a 700 x 25C or even 700 x 28C size if it fits my frame.

Any suggestions from anybody who has done the ride, or plenty of riding on dirt roads with their road bike? Feedback on the above choices?

My first choice at the moment is the Schwalbe marathon - good chunky tread and good puncture protection.

Any advise much appreciated.

P!N20

Re: First L'Eroica - Tyre recommendations

Postby P!N20 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:46 am

Narks wrote:I'm about to embark on my first L'Eroica ride in Gaiole in Italy on my trusty 1980 Cecil Walker bike.
I hate you. :P

Have to be gumwall, right?

Panaracer Pasela - quick! Only two left: http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... d|194672AU

singlespeedscott

Re: First L'Eroica - Tyre recommendations

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:55 pm

Jump onto the Merlin website and grab some file tread, 32mm Panaracer Gravel King’s. Awesome tyre that is perfect for these types of event, fast on the bitumen and plenty of grip on dirt roads. Previously I have used Challenge Parigi Roubaix, 28mm & 32mm Paselas and Compass Stampede Pass, these easily are the pick of the bunch. They helped me set the fastest time at this years Noosa Strade Bianche.

They come in a skinwall too.