Mirror for the aero position

opik_bidin

Mirror for the aero position

Postby opik_bidin » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:50 pm

Is there any mirror that can be attached to the handlebars so we can still see ahead and what's on the front left and right when we are in the aero position (so we don't have to look upwards). I find my neck a bit hurting if I go low on the drops but have to see the front.

MattyK

Re: Mirror for the aero position

Postby MattyK » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:20 pm

Not much really. Belay glasses maybe. I don't think they're legal for racing, hence not common, plus probably not very safe.

Your neck will strengthen.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:51 pm

Its a good question, I initially was thinking about a Time Trial bike - the setup provide support to reduce this type of discomfort and fatigue that you get on a road bike in the drops

Are you relatively new to the drops? i.e. it can be about time and experience so that your body is more comfortable.

Are you experiencing this as soon as you go to the drops or is there a difference between being in the drops but with your arms (relatively) straight... so you are high and being bent right down into a aero position?

If it is not only practice and strength, a bike fitter could be a good option as small adjustments can shift your body position, for example, the tilt/angle of the drop bars, stem height and/or stem length adjustment which sets you into a more comfortable position that is still aero.
Cycling is in my BNA

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:31 pm

I THINK that you are saying the discomfort is from crunching the head UP to see forward. As someone else has said, your muscles will strengthen soon enough.

But just in case I have read that wrong, I'll address discomfort from twisting your neck to see behind. Are you trying to see behind by twisting your neck and looking over the shoulder? The beauty of drops is that you can get a good glance of what is behind you by DROPPING the head and looking UNDER your shoulder and along your ribs. Indeed, it enables you to glance backwards without the least time lost of forward viewing enhancing safety.

And on safety, some people wander to the side when twisting the head to look over the shoulder to that side. Dropping the head can reduce that tendency too.

Twisting is a necessity when sitting proud on a flat bar. But on the drops there is a better option.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:57 pm

opik_bidin wrote:Is there any mirror that can be attached to the handlebars so we can still see ahead and what's on the front left and right when we are in the aero position (so we don't have to look upwards). I find my neck a bit hurting if I go low on the drops but have to see the front.
Your neck shouldn't be hurting if your are using the drops and want to see ahead. How would you look where you are riding, or for that matter, how would you look through a corner? In some cases you might be riding a lot of time in the drops (especially on long steep descents) so it is important to get this right.

Maybe you just need to work more on flexibility, or the fit isn't quite right - it might be too low for you.

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:17 pm

AUbicycles wrote: Are you relatively new to the drops? i.e. it can be about time and experience so that your body is more comfortable.

Are you experiencing this as soon as you go to the drops or is there a difference between being in the drops but with your arms (relatively) straight... so you are high and being bent right down into a aero position?
No, I'm not. I've already used it for around 1.5 years, and I meant being more in the "drops" rather than the "hoods", as I find it more comfortable, particularly for uphill and downhill as it distributes the body weight more evenly. That is why I also setup my shifters to be lower than most people would.

I experience if I do it for too long, not the short glances to see around, but keeping straight looking ahead.
ColinOldnCranky wrote:I THINK that you are saying the discomfort is from crunching the head UP to see forward. As someone else has said, your muscles will strengthen soon enough.
Yes thats it.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:15 am

@opik_bidon when I ride very long downhills, I feel fatigue as well. When pedalling I get less fatigue.

One quick thing is to ask a trusted / experience cycling friend to observe you and and see if there are any obvious issues with your positing, pedalling, flow.

The next is a bike fitter... go for one with a good reputation because they do pay off.
Cycling is in my BNA