Campagnolo SHAMAL Ultra or Shimano RS770 C30

hornedav

Campagnolo SHAMAL Ultra or Shimano RS770 C30

Postby hornedav » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:58 am

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my wheelset on my Specialized Roubaix 2017 (Disk brake).

I'm looking to purchase either disk brake/tubeless versions of either Campagnolo SHAMAL Ultra or Shimano RS770 C30s.

Does anyone have any expereience with either of these wheelsets. The Campagnolo is $600 more than the Shimano...and I'm wondering if Campagnolo is worth it...I need advice.

Thanks in advance.

Velt

Re: Campagnolo SHAMAL Ultra or Shimano RS770 C30

Postby Velt » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:17 pm

The internal width of those rims look a bit narrow at 17mm for a disc brake bike. I don't think the shamals are worth it.

I would buy DT Swiss ER Spline 1400 wheels https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8; ... 0,4,123,30 (change country to aus)
They have DT Swiss 240 hub internals and an asymetric rim. ~$1k aud plus maybe import duty.

The Easton EA 90 SL Wheels and Zipp 30 Course are both better than the ultegra wheels.

Edit: Good article for your reading here: https://intheknowcycling.com/2018/04/30 ... -wheelset/

hornedav

Postby hornedav » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:13 pm

Thanks Velt for the articles and wheel set suggestions, appreciated. I'll take a close look.

Are DT Swiss hubs noisier than most? And do you have a view on the DT Swiss ER 1600 Spline 32?

I'll do a bit more research on the DT Swiss website.

Cheers.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:42 pm

Brake type has eff-all to do with rim width.

DT hubs have a bad habit of eating the bearings in the freewheel body, and they can be a royal pain in the behind to dig out if the inner one totally munts itself.

Both the Shimano and Campag wheels roll on proper angular contact bearings, although the Campag hubs are a bit of a hybrid, with the main shell rolling on angular contacts, while the freewheel body rolls on cartridges, which like the DTs are prone to self-destruction because they're poorly sealed.....
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Velt

Postby Velt » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:42 pm

Duck! wrote:Brake type has eff-all to do with rim width.
Not directly, but wider rims are becoming more and more prevalent so you may as well take advantage of the extra clearence disc brake bikes tend to offer
DT hubs have a bad habit of eating the bearings in the freewheel body, and they can be a royal pain in the behind to dig out if the inner one totally munts itself.
I'll defer to you on this one but I've heard generally very good things about dt swiss hubs
hornedav wrote:Thanks Velt for the articles and wheel set suggestions, appreciated. I'll take a close look.

Are DT Swiss hubs noisier than most? And do you have a view on the DT Swiss ER 1600 Spline 32?

I'll do a bit more research on the DT Swiss website.

Cheers.
I actually have the shorter DT Swiss ER 1600 Spline 23 they're pretty good, roll really well. Hub is pretty quiet. I can't help but feeling I should've paid a bit extra for the 1400 though, better rim, better hubs, lighter overall. If you want something robust the 1600 spline 32 should be ok.

If you want fulcrum/campy (same company slight differences) the new racing zero has 19mm internal width http://www.bikebug.com/fulcrum-racing-z ... 82389.html
If you're into paying racing zero prices I would seek a custom wheelbuilder and get some handbuilt wheels though. If you let us know where you're from I'm sure someone can suggest you one.

Or get some chinese carbon (see the other thread in this forum)

hornedav

Postby hornedav » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:39 am

Thank you all. Great advice, links and information. :D

I just opted for a set of Zipp 30 Course with Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tyres from Tweeks Cycles. Transporting to Australia. Tweets Cycles had the best price.

The In The Know Cycling site and articles have been supremely helpful. :)

Cheers.

Velt

Postby Velt » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:50 am

No Problem! Steve's ITK site is an absolute gem. You'll have to post back in here with your thoughts on them when you get em!