Useeme Bike Turn Signal Wristbands

Ancientflatulence

Useeme Bike Turn Signal Wristbands

Postby Ancientflatulence » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:12 pm

Has anyone had recent experience of Useeme Bike Turn Signal Wristbands. They appear to be a very good idea with no downsides that I can see but I would love to hear from people who have used them.

http://useeme.bike/en

am50em

Re: Useeme Bike Turn Signal Wristbands

Postby am50em » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:50 am

Interesting. A$111

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:22 pm

am50em wrote:Interesting. A$111
Not really. Hands work fine as they are

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:28 pm

A couple of reflective straps around the wrists help with the visibility at a fraction of the price.

Of course it would be viable to split the costs with someone, you only need one strap for your right wrist. Left turn indications are not required and are often unhelpful.

Cheers,

Cameron

Ancientflatulence

Postby Ancientflatulence » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:44 pm

Reflectors don't work very well in daylight even if cars have their lights on ....... but then maybe these will not show up in daylight very well either ....... very hard to tell from the videos, hence my appeal.

I think they are left and right orientated to get the sensors to work correctly so splitting the cost probably won't work .......... unless you can do the purchase with someone from one of those countries where they drive on the wrong side of the road ....... or save the other one for overseas cycling holidays ......... :)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:36 pm

I have been asked to support and consult on various 'bike blinker' projects and on the one hand, pushing ideas is a good. On the other - you always want to solve a problem.

With bike indicator blinkers - they would suggest that bike riders have problem signalling their intentions to other road users. But is this really the case? Are collisions happening because a driver expected a cyclists to continue on their path but instead they turned?

One other issue is that when something unexpected happens then it causes confusing. A bike rider with a flashing device can actually make other motorists uncertain as bike riders don't usually have indicators and motorists are familiar with bike riders using hand signals.

Visibility is an important topic for bike riders - essentially so that other road users can exercise appropriate car. In a situation where a bike rider needs to cross a multi-lane road from the outside to the inside lane - you could argue that a signalling device creates more attention. This may be true but it is also a difficult scenario - just because a bike rider or car or truck or motorcycle indicates, it doesn't mean it is appropriate to move across. There is more involved in being aware of the traffic and speed and behaviour and this is very much the case for a bike rider where an even more defensive / protective approach is necessary.

In this case where it may be argued that a bike indicator makes sense... does it require a bike rider to have their arm stretched permanently while merging. A driver doesn't need to permanently hold their blinker down... it is automatic. And a bike rider may need to grab the handlebars with both hands... then the signalling effect is lost.

Why not put the blinkers on the bike? Other vehicles are expecting hand signals. A narrow bicycle isn't naturally designed (like a motorbike) to include blinkers and position them appropriately so blinkers so this also introduces problems of effective integration.

As a wrap up, if you feel comfortable with them - go for it. But when spending money, consider which problems they really solve and if there are other aspects in your cycling that can be just as effective, for example choosing a cycle route with cycle path which improves safety in traffic.
Cycling is in my BNA

Ancientflatulence

Postby Ancientflatulence » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:41 pm

Still wondering if anyone has used these ........... or seen them in the flesh .....

Dr. Gubó

Postby Dr. Gubó » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:19 pm

Hey guys, manufacturer of the product Useeme here. We mostly sell these to Europe but had some customers from Australia too.
Found this thread asking about our product and decided to jump in. We spent 7 years developing Useeme and we're really happy with the results - customers seem to love it too.
Radwelt Magazin, the magazine of the german cycling association also published a review last year and they liked the product.
If you have any questions, just shoot and I'll try to answer them.

Admin Edit: Links Removed. Policy on commercial participation is that unsolicited questions on their own products may be answered though promotion through forum posts (without specific approval) is not permitted.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:56 pm

Are you a real doctor?

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:07 pm

P!N20 wrote:Are you a real doctor?
:lol:
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Dr. Gubó