Newbie heavy rider looking for suggestions

ark

Newbie heavy rider looking for suggestions

Postby ark » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:59 pm

Hi

I've read the existing threads I could find, but still not really sure.

For someone like me, who hasn't ridden a bicycle since about 1988, the information out there is very confusing.

174cm 140kg male, looking for something that will hopefully turn into a 3+ times a week commute to work, and occasional social ride. Will only be on a bike path or road (commute from home to work is bikepath 95% of the way) - in another forum i was on, it was a 50 50 split between hybrid and mtb recommendations, but they arent a bike forum.

Budget - as low as is reasonably possible, in case I do not take it up. I am not averse to buying secondhand or new. Realistically I can stretch to over $1k if need be (but rather be under $1k in total with all required kit), but also need to get basic kit to ride with on top of the bike. If i find myself riding more than 2 or 3 times a week for a reasonable period, spending decently on an upgrade wont be an issue.

Not looking to be super speedy, just want something reliable, sturdy and as comfortable as possible. Essentially if i dont get into it, i dont want the bike to be the reason.

2 shops visited, 1 shop recommended a $1500 mtb as a base minimum requirement for my size with the rationale that the tires would be the best for bearing my weight and that lighter framed or lower cost would not be suitable.

2nd shop was Giant (south yarra) who recommended a Cross City Disc for $999

Suggestions and thoughts much appreciated.

Mugglechops

Re: Newbie heavy rider looking for suggestions

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:52 am

Get down to Aldi and buy one of these before they sell out.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:11 am

Seeing as you're not sure if you're going to get into it or not, I think you'd be better looking for something second hand. There's plenty of good deals on Gumtree, just be mindful of size and make sure you test ride before buying.

Here's one I found in 30 seconds; https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/st-kild ... 1179767292

As far as the hybrid vs MTB goes, I'd recommend leaning towards the hybrid as MTB's aren't really made for paved roads. Avoid suspension and really fat tyres, basically.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:57 am

Considering your weight, I'd buy a cheap mountain bike so you've got a really sturdy frame, strong rims, and nice wide tyres. Then when you lose some weight from cycling, you've still got money in the bank for another lighter faster bike.

You can always spend ~$100 and replace the knobbly tyres with some wide tyres with smoother tread for easier rolling on paved surfaces, whilst still providing lots of air volume and width for load management.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:21 pm

ark wrote:I've read the existing threads I could find, but still not really sure.
Re-read this one or that one

<answer=standard>Anything with 32mm or bigger tyres and no suspension.</answer>

Old tourers, old MTBs, recent hybrids.

If you must buy a new bike, get either a cheap hybrid or something like the Reid Vintage Roadster.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

OnTrackZeD

Postby OnTrackZeD » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:09 pm

Get what ever you like.
The only thing your weight will kill are the wheels and when the time comes spend the cash on strong ones, I speak from experience.

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:43 pm

While not your weight but still right up there when I first re-started cycling a couple of years ago.

I would suggest you will lose a good amount of weight within six months.

I've bought a few second hand bikes. They all required attention i.e. $$$ spent on them. The amount of repair dollars varied but it was always close to buying outright a new bike.

Those Aldi bikes look good.

I started out with hybrids. There are plenty around and as every body points out - it's the wheels that are the issue.

Every second hand bike I've bought has had issues with the wheels. Some broken spokes, some out of true while others just plain worn out.
The other issues have always been derailleurs. Damaged by maladjustment or just the wrong ones.

As always, buying on feebay or gumtree is a crapshoot. You need to know what you are looking at and then appreciate the extra cost on top of the purchase price to get the bike on the road

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:42 pm

I'm gonna weigh in with my own $0.02...this Trek hybrid will do the job..https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/melbour ... 1194851062. Having done 123kg to 96kg I can confirm wheels will be the main issue. There may be value in grabbing the Trek and then having the wheels true and tensioned by a professional. Also think that the Trek could be had for maybe $420.

So say $450 bike, $120 wheel service, $100 general service...all in for $670 on a good quality bike. Also it's roughly the right size.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

ark

Postby ark » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:06 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am considering some of the secondhand options - also considering a Giant Cross City 2 Equipped (2018 or 2019) model new. If the shop will agree to warrant the frame and the wheels on the assumption i am not going to be kerb hopping.

While a part of me loves the idea of buying second hand, the suggestions to take it for a ride first are not really going to work for me, its been nearly 30 years since i last rode, i will have 0 idea of what I am looking for in terms of goodness or badness.

Its been very educational reading here and elsewhere and talking to friends. I now know how my non-IT friends feel when myself and mates start babbling about tech stuff in front of them. So much to learn.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:36 pm

If you are going to go a Giant Cross city (which is a fairly good option in your circumstances), then do yourself a favour and go a 0 disc or 1 disc. The 2 just looks pretty underwelming on the spec sheet. Maybe ride them both and see what the 1 does better and make a judgment call. Its worth going a level up.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

ark

Postby ark » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:50 pm

Ive thought a lot about that.

I wont know what rides better feels like. What I am after is something good enough that its not going to be the thing i hate about riding, but not super awesome because theres a chance i might not get into it.

If i do get into it, an upgrade is fairly likely within the first 12 months.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:09 pm

ark wrote: that its not going to be the thing i hate about riding,
Get anything you like the look of.

I always suggest something with fat tyres, mudguards, uprightish riding position and somewhere for luggage. Which usually follows with the suggestion of looking at the Reid Vintage Roadster as it's bloody cheap and has a bit of panache.

Whether you go for that styleway (as the youn'uns say) is anotherthing all together. I personally don't like the look of the generic hybrid and my wrists hate straight bars. But it might be your thing.

Don't over think it. Get out there and ride!

ps - the thing you're going to hate on any bike is the saddle, unless you're megalucky. But that's another story altogether
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

ark

Postby ark » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:50 pm

So picket up the Cross City 2 Equipped from Giant yesterday. Didn't have anything to put the lock in when i left the store so went for an incredibly wonky first ride in 30 years about 200m around the block, with a heavy U lock banging back and forth from the handlebars, and decided safety over anything else, and walked the bike home.

Later that arvo went and saw the guys at bike bug who sold me some additional accessories, such as a bag and lights, tools etc.

Today, while my mind was trying to chicken out, i ended up riding to a friends about 3k away. Was a bit nervous and tense, but all told, not too bad. I was mildy terrified, and on the way there, dismounted to cross main roads, but was comfortable enough to ride on the road on the side streets. The disc brakes are great. Changing up gears sounds very clunky, changing down sounds fine, changing in general seems to work ok, not that id really know.

Anyway, first ride out of the way. Not quite sure if i am ready to ride to work, but my padded shorts arrive this week, and will give it consideration, i mean its only 50% further than todays ride, but less roads to cross.

OnTrackZeD

Postby OnTrackZeD » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:03 pm

ark wrote: Today, while my mind was trying to chicken out, i ended up riding to a friends about 3k away.
Well done.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:43 pm

Good work ark, nice one
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

ark

Postby ark » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:50 am

Just a general update - about to cross the 100km ridden mark. Pretty happy with the Cross City 2. 6.8k each way to and from the office, and im even making it all the way up the ramps coming back up to the road from the trail.

Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions :)

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:26 am

Great stuff.....considering Spring got off on a slow start...I was going to suggest to try a ride to work on a Sunday when it's a bit quitter but looks like you've got it worked out.
After a few more weeks, take the bike back for a re-adjust like spokes and gearing as new cables stretch a little and some fine tuning should be free from your bike shop that you bought it from.
I bet you feel in a different frame of mind by the time you get to the office.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

BugsBunny

Postby BugsBunny » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:50 pm

As a heavy rider, maybe consider steel frames. I think you will find them more comfortable than aluminum frames which are typically harsher/less compliant. Comfort should be high on your priority as you are getting back into cycling.