Wheel upgrade for CAAD8?

Deus_Ex_Machina

Wheel upgrade for CAAD8?

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:30 pm

Hi All,
I'm currently using my CAAD8 as a general trainer and will be using for some Triathlons in the summer (just for fun, I won't be super fast). From all reports the "weak point" of this bike is the wheelset (Maddux RS 2.0) and I'm wondering if I could expect much of an overall speed difference with something like the still budget oriented Shimano RS11?

At the moment the weak point overall is still me but I'm working on that lol, just wondering if there is a free speed upgrade there or of it's negligible? The other reason I'm asking is I have spare running gear including cassette and thinking I could use the maddux on the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! roads around here and switch to the better wheels pretty easily for races and criterium riding to save smashing them up daily?

foo on patrol

Re: Wheel upgrade for CAAD8?

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:11 pm

Personally, I don't think that there is any difference in that set of wheels. Stretch your budget and get a good set of wheels. :idea: Look at second hand ones, because you can pick up good wheels for a decent price. :idea:

An example.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Bicycle ... 9501936697

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Deus_Ex_Machina

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:35 am

Sweet, thanks. No point spending money for money sake. So I assume something more like Mavic Aksium or something of that ilk would be value for money, not over capitalising a fairly basic bike but offer some advantages?

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:11 am

Agreed, wheels will only be notable if they're 40-50+mm deep aero designs. Or something is wrong with yours (stuffed bearings, damaged/out of true/rubbing the brakes).

There are far better bang for buck options:
Aero bars/optimised aero position
Aero helmet
Latex tubes
Race tyres
Rear wheel disc cover
And of course a bigger motor.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:39 am

I agree with MattyK.

Take a look at http://www.bikebug.com/blog/buying-time ... equipment/ which has a table of dollars per second saved for a variety of options.

Clip-on aerobars are probably the first place you should look at spending some money.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:21 pm

Have a look for some Campy Zonda's. Best bang for buck wheels you can buy imo. You can buy them with a Shimano Freehub (look for them secondhand as well). Would do a lot better than Mavic Aksiums or Shimano RS11. If you really want Shimano wheels look at the RS81s (which aren't a bad wheel).
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

kb

Postby kb » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:17 pm

rodneycc wrote:Have a look for some Campy Zonda's. Best bang for buck wheels you can buy imo. You can buy them with a Shimano Freehub (look for them secondhand as well). Would do a lot better than Mavic Aksiums or Shimano RS11. If you really want Shimano wheels look at the RS81s (which aren't a bad wheel).
Matches my experiences upgrading wheels on a CAAD10.

Deus_Ex_Machina

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:26 pm

I think the motor is still the weak point. I got some Profile Design T2+ reasonably cheap and although I need position tweaking I find that position much quicker.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:46 pm

At the reasonable end of the market, I don't think there's much of a difference in real terms. Have only had two sets of Maddux/Jalco thru my hands, one was a higher-end offering that was quite decent (Maddux) and the other was more basic but strong as hell (Jalco). Would echo what others have said, and hold off for the moment until you can get some customs made up with some high-$ hubs and aero rims to your liking.

That being said, I've had some Fulcrums thru my hands recently, surprisingly good. A set of Racing 4 (is an OEM wheelset, cross between a Racing3 and Racing5) and a set of Quattros. Even have a set of the entry-level Fulcrum Racing Sport floating around here.... threw them on the training bike for a giggle and they were quite good.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Deus_Ex_Machina

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:05 am

So a bit of change of direction but similar question. The Maddux RS 2.0 are both a little out of true (possibly in part due to horrible rd's I have ridden on). I'm going to get them trued up however I have a spare cartridge and would like to set up a separate wheel/tyre for my trainer so am wondering if I relegate the Maddux to the trainer and as a bit of a beat up training wheel if I need it and get something basic, competent and maybe a little more durable as a replacement.

Both Fulcrum Racing 7 & Mavic Aksium can be had for low $200-$250 and I'm feeling might be a good option? In my mind I suppoe I don't want to overdo it on the wheels as it's likely if I start riding more or doing more Tri's I'll end up with another bike anyway and the CAAD8 will become a trainer so would prefer to save my pennies for that.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:16 am

Deus_Ex_Machina wrote: Both Fulcrum Racing 7 & Mavic Aksium can be had for low $200-$250 and I'm feeling might be a good option?.
Excellent option.
I'd go the Fulcrum 7s. Great wheels. Aksiums good too.

Deus_Ex_Machina

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:29 am

Thanks for the quick response. Fulcrum Racing 6 are on ProBikeKit Black Friday sale for $244.34, basically look same as the 7's. I notice the Aksiums have straight pull spokes? Point of difference or not really anything at this price point?

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:59 am

Deus_Ex_Machina wrote:Thanks for the quick response. Fulcrum Racing 6 are on ProBikeKit Black Friday sale for $244.34, basically look same as the 7's. I notice the Aksiums have straight pull spokes? Point of difference or not really anything at this price point?
Point of difference being the Aksiums have spoke holes in the rim, which means you need rim tape, the Fulcrums do not have any spoke holes so they are way less hassle and less prone to punctures.

Deus_Ex_Machina

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:12 pm

Fulcrums it is then, I'm slow as hell changing flats so that's a win lol.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:57 pm

I would rate the Aksiums as tougher than the Fulcrums, and I think they have a higher weight limit. Have a set of Fulcrums for a build at the moment, and have recently used a set of Fulcrum Racing 4s and a set of Mavic Aksiums. The Aksiums were slightly heavier but felt more robust.

Deus_Ex_Machina

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:55 am

Hmmm another option. Have found some Fulcrum 3.5's which I believe are in essence the 5 hubs and 3 rims for $285 BNIB. Likely unused OEM wheels. Any thoughts on these?

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:31 pm

Deus_Ex_Machina wrote:Hmmm another option. Have found some Fulcrum 3.5's which I believe are in essence the 5 hubs and 3 rims for $285 BNIB. Likely unused OEM wheels. Any thoughts on these?
Grab them quick before they sell out.
That's a ridiculous price for a fabulous wheelset.

Deus_Ex_Machina

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:05 pm

Well long story short I missed those rims, ended up ordering some Mavix Aksiums from Bicycle Deal in Dandenong, just unpacked them and they are older 15C/25 stock not the 17C advertised. They were well priced ($225 with tyres) but not what I ordered and as I'm coming from 19C/28 combination I'm concerned about comfort (I'm not the most comfortable individual on a bike anyway). Soooo I'm thinking send them back and go for to Fulcrum Racing 6's for $270ish then tyres. Sigh.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:08 pm

Deus_Ex_Machina wrote:Well long story short I missed those rims, ended up ordering some Mavix Aksiums from Bicycle Deal in Dandenong, just unpacked them and they are older 15C/25 stock not the 17C advertised. They were well priced ($225 with tyres) but not what I ordered and as I'm coming from 19C/28 combination I'm concerned about comfort (I'm not the most comfortable individual on a bike anyway). Soooo I'm thinking send them back and go for to Fulcrum Racing 6's for $270ish then tyres. Sigh.
What was CyclingDeal's response when/if you asked the question, i.e. where are my 17mm Mavics ?

I've never had an issue with them, so can't vouch for their after-sales attitude to returns/swaps/etc although I note that they will ask you to provide a Google review, so maybe there's some leverage :)

Deus_Ex_Machina

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:25 pm

They have sent me a postage label etc to return them. No dramas whatsoever. I think it's an honest mistake where they have pasted current specs from the website in the listing but they are older stock.

paule11

Postby paule11 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:31 pm

I went from Aksiums to Zondas was happy with Aksiums but Zondas are way better lighter faster stiffer harsher ride have not had any problems with Zondas had to get the Aksiums trued a few times

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:32 pm

Deus_Ex_Machina wrote:They have sent me a postage label etc to return them. No dramas whatsoever. I think it's an honest mistake where they have pasted current specs from the website in the listing but they are older stock.
glad it worked out..BikeBug have Fulcrum 6s for $289, which would save you buying offshore and waiting X number of weeks and postage. Not a high-end wheel but not a POS either, plus local seller (for warranty purposes if need be)..

http://www.bikebug.com/fulcrum-racing-6 ... 00581.html

Deus_Ex_Machina

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:13 am

Thanks for the heads up. Snagged some Fulcrum Racing Quattros from ProBikeKit yesterday for $328 which seems to be a fair amount of wheel for it's price. Should look nice on big red too :) Now to work on the motor.