My First Build - Specialized Allez - Assistance Required

Defy The Odds

Re: My First Build - Specialized Allez - Assistance Required

Postby Defy The Odds » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:55 am

plans have changed as it looks like the Dura Ace calipers are no longer the go. I am now looking at a full R7000 105 groupset which is more similar to R8000 in that is has ample clearance for 28's.

My only concern is that the internal width is 17mm, may be a bit of a bubble looking tyre on the wheel.

Speaking to others who have the new Allez Sprint, it sounds like wider tyres at lower pressures really help take the road buzz out of the bike's frame (as it is so stiff).

So at the moment I am thinking either 25's or 28's - will have ample clearance so that won't be an issue.

To make it even more supple was considering going a very supple tyre like the Specialized Turbon Cotton 26c (or just the regular turbo) with latex tubes for some added suppleness.

Is it wrong to build the bike up with a 32t on the back? My thinking is that I wanted this bike to be good at everything... sprints, climbs, cruising around... having the 32t gives me the range and having the stiffness in the frame, I can put the power down on climbs too...

thoughts on the above?

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:10 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:My only concern is that the internal width is 17mm, may be a bit of a bubble looking tyre on the wheel.

I've got 28mm GP4000sIIs on Open Pros with 15mm internal width. Don't sweat it.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:03 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:Is there any reason why 28s wouldnt be a good idea on the Allez sprint ?

Not so much the frame, but the wheels. You've got yourself some nice aero wheels, but when it comes to aero, it is the tyre/wheel SYSTEM that matters. Specifically the aerodynamics are typically optimized when the external rim width is 105% of the tyre width. At 24.4 mm wide, the Rovals are optimized for 23 mm tyres. 28 mm tyres will fit on the INTERNAL width, but you are giving up quite a bit of benefit from the deep section wheels. Whether this matters to you depends on how you value speed v comfort.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:51 pm

madmacca wrote:
Defy The Odds wrote:Is there any reason why 28s wouldnt be a good idea on the Allez sprint ?

Not so much the frame, but the wheels. You've got yourself some nice aero wheels, but when it comes to aero, it is the tyre/wheel SYSTEM that matters. Specifically the aerodynamics are typically optimized when the external rim width is 105% of the tyre width. At 24.4 mm wide, the Rovals are optimized for 23 mm tyres. 28 mm tyres will fit on the INTERNAL width, but you are giving up quite a bit of benefit from the deep section wheels. Whether this matters to you depends on how you value speed v comfort.

I get where you're coming from, but alot of these aero benefits usually come in when you're mainting 40km/h and over from what I have read. I can't maintain that speed for that long so not going to benefit me much anyway.

May just stick to 25's as a good compromise but to be honest I got the wheels cheap and I like the look (not to mention they go well with the Allez).

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:31 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:
lone rider wrote:
Defy The Odds wrote:So I have been contemplating groupset build as i have purchased the wheels. I ended up getting a 2nd hand set of Roval CLX 60's with CeramicSpeed hubs.

Question regarding the groupset is, I have the opportunity to purchase DuraAce 9000 brakeset and shifters and looking to get either 105 R7000 or Ultegra R8000 FD, RD, Cassette and a KMC SL chain (already purchased a Vision TTrimax Chainset).

Is it worth getting the 2nd hand 9000 DuraAce shifters and brakeset and mixing it with the new R7000 or R8000 or just go complete new R7000 (Ultegra R8000 is out of my budget)?

Also, will the DuraAce calipers clear 28c tyres?

9000 will struggle with 28's. They may fit depending on rim width but the clearance will be minimal, like 1-2 mm, which is not really enough. Why do want to run 28's?

I was considering 28s to dampen out some of the road buzz. Being an aluminium bike every bit of compliance helps

I ride a CAAD12 on rough country roads with 25mm's and aluminium seat post and have no issues with road buzz. I have a carbon TCR as well and there is hardly any difference, I would ride the alu frame every day of the week if forced to choose because of the stiffness, you know what you are putting into the pedals is making it to the road.