Female - first time road bike user

Happyhunting

Female - first time road bike user

Postby Happyhunting » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:46 pm

Hi
I know this may be have asked loads but here goes:

I am female, late twenties (reasonable fitness)
Height: 170cm
Weight: 55kg

I am a new road user and I am interested in buying a road bike that I could ride to and from work - say 35km a day. Should be good to go up hills as Melb is quite hilly.
My budget is $500 and I wouldn't mind buying second hand. Only thing is

- What are good reliable bikes with low maintenance?
- How to know what is a good second - hand bike? What to look for when buying.

Any comments welcome.

I am in Melbourne.
Thanks for your help everyone.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Female - first time road bike user

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:47 am

An issue with second hand if you don’t know what to look for is that there can be more costs to get in into a safe and good working condition. The flip side is getting a better deal though it unfortunately is case for case. Rather than gumtree or ebay, I would suggest orientating on selling environment where you can get a better deal from people who may be more likely to have quality second hand bikes and provide more reliable assurances of the suitability. For example, the marketplace in this forum, local cycling clubs and sometimes bije shops.

The good news is that you can pick up a fairly good bike for this money 5-10 years old with decent components and gear as the demand for new bikes is fairly high and demand for older road bikes us lower.
Cycling is in my BNA

Happyhunting

Postby Happyhunting » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi

thanks for the reply

I am looking to buy a flat bar road bike that I can commute to and from work say 35km a day.
I would like something with the following:

- lightweight
- low maintenance
- How much does it cost to maintain a bike on a yearly basis If I do say 200Km a week?
- under $500 (I don't mind buying second hand)
- How many years would I get out of a decent bike?
- What is the best time to buy? Should I wait for the boxing day sales?

Please suggest where I can buy from
- online?
- LBS?
- Brand and type of bike?

Also would love to join a riding club on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

Thank you :D

Hope to see you guys out on the road.

Happyhunting

Postby Happyhunting » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:37 pm

after a little googling found the following list:

Merida Speeder 100 Disc
Giant Cross City 1 Disc
Trek Zektor 2
Specialized Sirrus Sport
Bianchi C Sport 2.5
Kona Dew Plus
Polygon Bend FX4
Cannondale Quick 5 Disc
Focus Arriba Altus

:D

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:05 pm

Happyhunting wrote: - How much does it cost to maintain a bike on a yearly basis If I do say 200Km a week?
- under $500 (I don't mind buying second hand)
- How many years would I get out of a decent bike?
- What is the best time to buy? Should I wait for the boxing day sales?
1. Depends a lot on how much work you are willing to do yourself and if you have the right tools, etc. As a ballpark I guess about $200/year for home maintenance, probably double that at a bike shop. Excluding any major repairs.

2. There are some good deals on the second hand market if you know what you're looking for.

3. A bike that is looked after should really out live the owner. Parts can always be replaced. Frames can break but it's pretty rare, really.

4. The best time in NOW! I mean, I'm not sure bike shops really do the whole Boxing Day sales thing...maybe some do...usually it's more financial year sales when they try to clear the previous year's stock.
Happyhunting wrote:after a little googling found the following list:

Merida Speeder 100 Disc
Giant Cross City 1 Disc
Trek Zektor 2
Specialized Sirrus Sport
Bianchi C Sport 2.5
Kona Dew Plus
Polygon Bend FX4
Cannondale Quick 5 Disc
Focus Arriba Altus

:D
Assuming these are second hand, can you provide links?

Size is probably one of the most important things. You can have the best bike in the world, but if it doesn't fit you won't feel like riding it.

35k's a day is a decent commute. I'm not sure if you can up your budget but I reckon something closer to $1000 might give you some more options and better quality.

This is all just my opinion, others may have far better advice.

Happyhunting

Postby Happyhunting » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:43 pm

have had a look around and decided to up my budget to $1000.

What do you guys reckon could buy $1000.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:27 pm

Happyhunting wrote:have had a look around and decided to up my budget to $1000.

What do you guys reckon could buy $1000.
Better budget. I would be finding a good LBS (local bike store) to help out IMO. Bikes in the $1000 price range will be similar spec but as far maintenance and support you will be best to go with whatever your LBS stocks. Some shops will have demo bikes that you take for the weekend to make sure your getting the right bike. If you buy a flatbar but then find you really like the sat/sun club shop rides you will quickly be looking for a drop bar bike.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:59 pm

Where to where in Melbourne? (more specifically, what commute route do you envisage?) This might swing your preference for flat bar, drop bar, fatter tyres etc.

Any chance you'll get into this as a hobby? (road bike probably preferable)

Commuting all year round? (you'll want to be able to fit mudguards)

You can't go too wrong at $1000, options will all be similar with a tradeoff between big name brand vs component quality level, but nothing too significant.

Best option is to test ride as many as you can, and pick your favourite on whatever criteria pleases you.

Happyhunting

Postby Happyhunting » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:14 pm

Hi guys

after plenty of research on google I have decided to go with the
Merida Speeder 100 Flat Bar Road Bike (2018)

its on sale at 99Bikes for $749 Is this a good price?

how do you guys feel about this bike?

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:13 pm

I think it's outpointed by the Reid Women's Osprey, which is $200 less. My daughter has one of these, and it's a (very) good starter road bike. A plan might be to keep it a year.

If you're doing 35km a day, a lightweight carbon-frame bike is in your future...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:12 am

An advantage buying a new bike is it is new so you can already expect functionality in every aspect. Most bike shops offer a tune-up and you get the warranty.

Reid Cycles and Bicycles Online (brand Polygon but only online) are worth considering but your local bike shop could also have competitive offers - buy all means, shop around and don't feel pressured to commit too soon.

A flat bar bike may be called a flatbar, hybrid, commuter, city bike or sport bike. Road Bikes typically have 'drop bars' and are more sporty though the body position is also sporty so may not be immediately as comfortable. I ride a flat bar for shorter commutes and a road bike for long trips, there is no wrong bike but if you are after one bike, you can consider which one makes sense.

--

For the Merida, the equiptment is 'ok' it has 'cable pull' disc brakes (i.e. connected with a cable) whereas the Polygon Path 3 costs a bit less, has comparable running gear but hydraulic disc brakes which are higher level. But... the Merida has a carbon fork, the advantage is that this absorbs some of the vibrations while the Polygon has an aluminium fork and this bike is available online only. They have a good returns policy but getting the right size is crucial... so in a bike shop there is also peace of mind. Reid Cycles also have competitive bikes and a store in Melbourne... though as before, if your local store has the right bike.. add this to the equation.

Not sure if this helps or makes it more complicated, the former I hope.
Cycling is in my BNA

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:32 am

Happyhunting wrote:Hi guys

Whatever you choose, test ride before you buy. Actually test ride before you choose. A decent test ride, not just carpark circles.

uart

Postby uart » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:06 pm

It looks ok. The triple cranks could be an advantage if you have any very steep hills. That being said, modern compact cranks sets, like the 50/34 on the Reid Osprey mentioned above, will also give very good gearing for hills with the 30T rear cluster.

Before you buy though, just have a think as to whether or not you're sure that flat bars are the right option. For 35km you may find drop bars are more comfortable and efficient.

I know that new riders often think that drop bars are only for expert road racers, and that they must be incredibly uncomfortable and difficult to use. Actually that couldn't be further from the truth. A few friends of mine who have bough flat bar bikes, thinking that they'd be more comfortable, have later really regretted it.

Happyhunting

Postby Happyhunting » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:17 pm

thanks for the replies.

Want to a bike shop and walked out more confused than before.

Its feels like buying a car first time around.

TeVoRo

Postby TeVoRo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:01 pm

Hello,

I am in a similar boat with less of a budget. max $600 rather than $1k; commute is 20km /one way way so roughly about the same as you. Although I am only doing this 1 or 2 times a week to build up my fitness first.

I ended up buying a Flatbar Merida Speeder 20D with hydraulic disc brakes.
Got the guys to throw in a drink bottle, bottle cage, kick stand, pump, puncture repair kit and small under saddle bag for the price.

I am no bike expert but the Merida was quite a good ride for me, I hesitated getting the drop bars cos I've always used flatbars mtbs.

99bikes did tell me that they have a perfect bike guarantee where if I dont like it, I could take it back to exchange for another.

What really got me though (noob thing I know) was they did a bike fit for me.
Measured height, arm span, crotch to foot, etc. Sales guy was saying that even though I am on a medium frame, slight adjustments to saddle, handlebar height etc does make a difference to the ride. I would still be able to ride an incorrectly adjusted bike; but I wouldnt be as comfortable on it.
I know that type of advice isnt something I would get from buying second hand or online so just went with the purchase. I'm not sure if he was conning me with sales talk but it worked!

Happyhunting

Postby Happyhunting » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:17 pm

TeVoRo wrote:

Hello,

I am in a similar boat with less of a budget. max $600 rather than $1k; commute is 20km /one way way so roughly about the same as you. Although I am only doing this 1 or 2 times a week to build up my fitness first.

I ended up buying a Flatbar Merida Speeder 20D with hydraulic disc brakes.
Got the guys to throw in a drink bottle, bottle cage, kick stand, pump, puncture repair kit and small under saddle bag for the price.

I am no bike expert but the Merida was quite a good ride for me, I hesitated getting the drop bars cos I've always used flatbars mtbs.

99bikes did tell me that they have a perfect bike guarantee where if I dont like it, I could take it back to exchange for another.

What really got me though (noob thing I know) was they did a bike fit for me.
Measured height, arm span, crotch to foot, etc. Sales guy was saying that even though I am on a medium frame, slight adjustments to saddle, handlebar height etc does make a difference to the ride. I would still be able to ride an incorrectly adjusted bike; but I wouldnt be as comfortable on it.
I know that type of advice isnt something I would get from buying second hand or online so just went with the purchase. I'm not sure if he was conning me with sales talk but it worked!

THANKS for your reply

How are you finding it?

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:37 pm

TeVoRo wrote: What really got me though (noob thing I know) was they did a bike fit for me.
99B put my wife on the wrong sized bike after the same process. I wouldn't trust it. Funny though that they had that size in stock...

Any bike fit is (hopefully!) better than none (*KEY: if done by someone competent*), but for a first timer I would give just as much credence to reading the recommended height chart from the manufacturer.