commuting to work (35Km a day)

Happyhunting
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:40 pm

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby Happyhunting » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:03 pm

Ivanerrol wrote:Cycling Deal in Dandenong South have these on special. $599.00

https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/2017-hasa-r2-shimano-tiagra-20-speed-alloy-road-bi/R217

Full Shimano 10 speed 4700 groupset, Mavic rims. Continental tyres

You couldn't buy the individual components for that price.

Shimano 4700 is a very good set. Has the trickle down from 105 and Ultegra.

There's even a cheaper Sora equipped unit for less $399

https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/2015-hasa-r3-sora-18-speed-road-bike/R317

Also. I've dealt with Alchemy in Wantirna. Sold a bike on consignment through them. Easy. Dropped the bike off, agreed on a sale price. Bike sold to someone interstate within a week. Money deposited in my account shortly after. They did all the cleaning up and servicing, foto ads and handled the finance.



thanks guys
These look nice

Happyhunting
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:40 pm

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby Happyhunting » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:06 pm

Happyhunting wrote:
Ivanerrol wrote:Cycling Deal in Dandenong South have these on special. $599.00

https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/2017-hasa-r2-shimano-tiagra-20-speed-alloy-road-bi/R217

Full Shimano 10 speed 4700 groupset, Mavic rims. Continental tyres

You couldn't buy the individual components for that price.

Shimano 4700 is a very good set. Has the trickle down from 105 and Ultegra.

There's even a cheaper Sora equipped unit for less $399

https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/2015-hasa-r3-sora-18-speed-road-bike/R317

Also. I've dealt with Alchemy in Wantirna. Sold a bike on consignment through them. Easy. Dropped the bike off, agreed on a sale price. Bike sold to someone interstate within a week. Money deposited in my account shortly after. They did all the cleaning up and servicing, foto ads and handled the finance.


Would I be able to fit mudguards on these?

Happyhunting
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:40 pm

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby Happyhunting » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:06 pm

Happyhunting wrote:
Happyhunting wrote:
Ivanerrol wrote:Cycling Deal in Dandenong South have these on special. $599.00

https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/2017-hasa-r2-shimano-tiagra-20-speed-alloy-road-bi/R217

Full Shimano 10 speed 4700 groupset, Mavic rims. Continental tyres

You couldn't buy the individual components for that price.

Shimano 4700 is a very good set. Has the trickle down from 105 and Ultegra.

There's even a cheaper Sora equipped unit for less $399

https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/2015-hasa-r3-sora-18-speed-road-bike/R317

Also. I've dealt with Alchemy in Wantirna. Sold a bike on consignment through them. Easy. Dropped the bike off, agreed on a sale price. Bike sold to someone interstate within a week. Money deposited in my account shortly after. They did all the cleaning up and servicing, foto ads and handled the finance.


And racks?

User avatar
10speedsemiracer
Posts: 1404
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: Melbourne, in the suburbs, near some hills

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:47 pm

Probably not the usual type of either, no. Guards may be possible with one of the clip-on plastic kits, but I think a rack might be a no-go
Mmm, SunTour

Happyhunting
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:40 pm

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby Happyhunting » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:52 pm


Happyhunting
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:40 pm

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby Happyhunting » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:54 pm


User avatar
10speedsemiracer
Posts: 1404
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: Melbourne, in the suburbs, near some hills

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:59 pm

the first one may be a fraction big, the second looks more appropriate size-wise and is very similar to the other Avantis linked prior. But racks and guards will probably be difficult on any of these, so will need to establish whether these are must-have items.
Mmm, SunTour

User avatar
MattyK
Posts: 2429
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:07 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby MattyK » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:38 pm

Reid CX would be worth a look if they have in-store stock of small size.
https://www.reidcycles.com.au/reid-cx.html

Tamiya
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 12:15 am

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby Tamiya » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:43 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:That Hasa Tiagra bike Ivanerrol linked is a very good deal.


Hasa range look good value but isn't CyclingDeal more of a mailorder &/or cash&carry warehouse?

Would they do any fitting or parts swapping to fit... or you'd need to get that done elsewhere on your own dime.

User avatar
10speedsemiracer
Posts: 1404
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: Melbourne, in the suburbs, near some hills

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:45 pm

Tamiya wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:That Hasa Tiagra bike Ivanerrol linked is a very good deal.


Hasa range look good value but isn't CyclingDeal more of a mailorder &/or cash&carry warehouse?

Would they do any fitting or parts swapping to fit... or you'd need to get that done elsewhere on your own dime.


Essentially an online store, but can do local pickup however doubt they're geared up for stuff like fitting.
Mmm, SunTour

Tamiya
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 12:15 am

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby Tamiya » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:51 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Essentially an online store, but can do local pickup however doubt they're geared up for stuff like fitting.


yeah I've been there :) it's my LocalBikebitsSupplydepot :D in & out faster than a McDs drivethru!

Never tried buying a bike there yet, just had a peek at Hasa in their showroom.

Tamiya
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 12:15 am

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby Tamiya » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:56 pm

MattyK wrote:Reid CX would be worth a look if they have in-store stock of small size.
https://www.reidcycles.com.au/reid-cx.html


Was at Reid this wk... their Urban X range caught my eye... X3 is yummy.

Not sure if CX is same frame but they're a sharp looker.

User avatar
MattyK
Posts: 2429
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:07 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby MattyK » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:58 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:Essentially an online store, but can do local pickup however doubt they're geared up for stuff like fitting.

Been there a few times, great place if you know what you want/need, but maybe not the best shop for a beginner unless you can take an experienced friend.

To be fair I've only bought parts and shoes from there and they're great with say getting several pairs of shoes from the warehouse for you to try, and they have plenty of stock in their showroom to browse. I haven't bought a bike from them, but I don't recall them having a particular setup to trial bike sizes/fitting. Maybe they do and I haven't paid attention.

Then again that probably doesn't make that experience any worse than many other bike shops...

Happyhunting
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:40 pm

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby Happyhunting » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:29 am


User avatar
MattyK
Posts: 2429
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:07 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby MattyK » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:55 am

Too big for you.

Happyhunting
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:40 pm

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby Happyhunting » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:35 pm


User avatar
10speedsemiracer
Posts: 1404
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: Melbourne, in the suburbs, near some hills

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:42 pm

Happyhunting wrote:and the hunt continues

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/carnegi ... 1199117234


OK, this is a marked departure from everything else that has been discussed. Shabby brakes, low-grade steel frame and it looks like it needs a bit (lot) of work to make it suitable for your intended usage. All of Taz's ads have copy/paste wording and claim each bike is the "THE MOST POPULAR AND BEST RACER IN THE WORLD!!
BETTER THAN A MALVERN STAR!! " etc etc etc. $200 for that is about $175 too much. Forks appear to be non-standard, can't see any provision for racks/guards but I could be wrong. Stem shifters and axle-mount rear derailleur are an indication of the frame quality...this thing will be heavy. Honestly, it looks like the seller has picked this off a hard rubbish pile, thrown a fork and some tyres at it and now wants $200 for his trouble.
Mmm, SunTour

User avatar
10speedsemiracer
Posts: 1404
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: Melbourne, in the suburbs, near some hills

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:49 pm

Found a Focus in Northcote which looks like it may be ideal, as long as its in ok condition.

Image

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/northcote/men-s-bicycles/focus-culebro-road-or-commuter-bike-small-/1199143963
Mmm, SunTour

User avatar
10speedsemiracer
Posts: 1404
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: Melbourne, in the suburbs, near some hills

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:11 pm

Or if you want to go nuts, get to work very quickly and look good doing it, this Colnago is selling for $975 (although I think waving some folding currency in the seller's face would get this to $900) :

Image

Racks and guards not really an option but it will be light and quick.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/highett/men-s-bicycles/colnago-clx-full-carbon-road-bike/1198626594
Mmm, SunTour

Happyhunting
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:40 pm

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby Happyhunting » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:42 pm

hmmm ;- its getting really hard...

I am thinking one of the following: (hoping my last post for you all)

- Merida Speeder 20 D Flat Bar Road Bike (2018)
- CANNONDALE QUICK 5
- GIANT CROSS CITY 2 2019
- Hasa Tiagra bike

final thoughts ... i am lost atm... :)

User avatar
MattyK
Posts: 2429
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:07 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby MattyK » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:14 pm

Go ride them. Pick what you enjoy riding. I would guess that with the options you have been given and you've linked, you really aren't sure what you want. And you probably won't be until you've got a year or so of regular riding in your legs. Which always sucks as a first time buyer, but is the most common outcome.

It's not a life and death decision. Pick something and go for it. If it turns out to be not the best choice, then you'll know better next time. (there will be a next time)

User avatar
Ivanerrol
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 9:12 pm

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby Ivanerrol » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:29 pm

I'm going out to Cycling Deal tomorrow, Ill have a look at the Hasa'a and post my subjective opinion.
"Follow your passion - go Broke. Follow an opportunity get wealthy" - Mike Rowe - Dirty Jobs

User avatar
10speedsemiracer
Posts: 1404
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: Melbourne, in the suburbs, near some hills

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:54 pm

The Hasa (I've had one of the flat bar roadies thru my hands) will probably surprise you a bit with the quality feel for the $s. That being said, the Giant Cross City would be the best option for a commute, but comes in various specs, with the Cross City Disc equipped being a total commuter solution :

Image

and probably would have been most likely to be recommended in your scenario (or something similar) however I thought we were chasing a drop bar road bike. The Giant is a very good option for the price.
Mmm, SunTour

User avatar
10speedsemiracer
Posts: 1404
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Location: Melbourne, in the suburbs, near some hills

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:56 pm

In terms of CyclingDeal, I've dealt with them online for a while, always found them very helpful and reasonable.
Mmm, SunTour

Tamiya
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 12:15 am

Re: commuting to work (35Km a day)

Postby Tamiya » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:10 am

yeah CyclingDeal are decent, good range good value... I pop out to "collect" as I'm local(ish) usually because I want/need it quick... but lately been questioning why their fleaBay listings are "free-postage" & yet I pay same price at the cellar door... anybody got a scheme for discount? :)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users